Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
How to use DRM'ed books

Simple question. Do you need to enter the CC# and other info every time you want to open a DRM'ed book on your ebook reader?

Is it just a single first time use thing?
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You only do this once (not even once per ebook), since the reader remembers (a hash of) the CC numbers you have already entered and tries them first. Note that only eReader and B&N ePub DRM is based on credit card numbers at all.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Depends on the store you buy the book from. Amazon stores the credit card number and thus you don't need to re-enter it with each buy. So far they only charges the card one time when you first "buy" the book, not for each read. But DRM could let them do that too if they want.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Depends on the store you buy the book from. Amazon stores the credit card number and thus you don't need to re-enter it with each buy. So far they only charges the card one time when you first "buy" the book, not for each read. But DRM could let them do that too if they want.
We're talking specifically about eReader DRM here. That uses the credit-card number as the encryption key for the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We're talking specifically about eReader DRM here. That uses the credit-card number as the encryption key for the book.
Sorry, did not see that.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Ok Let me expand my question now. If I buy an eReader DRM from Barns& Noble it is in the Pdb format I think.

What ever the file extension the book is DRM'ed. I load it on to my Jetbook Lite. Will my jetbook lite keep the CC info and try that first as well.

Is the DRM info for a book exclusive to only the ebook reader and the associated store.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
Ok Let me expand my question now. If I buy an eReader DRM from Barns& Noble it is in the Pdb format I think.
Correct. B&N sell books in the "eReader" format, which uses the CC number as the DRM key.

Quote:
What ever the file extension the book is DRM'ed. I load it on to my Jetbook Lite. Will my jetbook lite keep the CC info and try that first as well.
Does the Jetbook support eReader DRM? If it does, then I imagine that it will do.

Quote:
Is the DRM info for a book exclusive to only the ebook reader and the associated store.
For a book in eReader format, and for that format only, the DRM information is contained exclusively within the book itself, and the book is not tied to any particular device. For most other DRM formats (eg ePub), the book can only be read on a particular authorised device.

BTW: important point - be sure that you don't confuse the "eReader" book format with the (confusing) use of the same word as a generic term for eBook reading devices. The vast majority of "eReaders" cannot read books which are in the eReader book format.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-14-2010 at 11:00 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So far as I know all eReader ebooks from all stores work interchangeably on all eReader capable devices.

B&N provides either eReader or ePub. The ePub DRM is also using the credit card number, but a generic eReader reader can't read it (probably can't read ePub, and in particular can't decrypt a passworded ePub). I think it is the case that Jetbook's only support eReader DRM, not ePub DRM. So you can't read passworded ePubs from B&N on your jetBook. See Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented for the obvious work around.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Correct. B&N sell books in the "eReader" format, which uses the CC number as the DRM key.

For a book in eReader format, and for that format only, the DRM information is contained exclusively within the book itself, and the book is not tied to any particular device. For most other DRM formats (eg ePub), the book can only be read on a particular authorised device.
Close but not quite...
B&N sells in two different formats pdb (eReader) and ePub. In both of these formats B&N uses a very similar DRM scheme based upon a user name and a CC#.

Your JBL does not currently support the ePub based DRM scheme (it requires Adobe's RMSDK).

hmm Wallcraft beat me to this
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Simple question. Do you need to enter the CC# and other info every time you want to open a DRM'ed book on your ebook reader?

Is it just a single first time use thing?
On devices I've used (PalmOS mostly), I only needed to enter the name and CC# once, UNLESS I opened a book purchased with a different credit card. At this point all the books purchased with that credit card became openable, but those bought with the first card got locked again. I.e. it could only store the hash for one number at a time. This becomes a real pain if your card issuer is in the habit of changing your number frequently.

The way around this is to change the card number used to encrypt everything in your store "bookshelf" to the current number and then redownload, and do this every time your card # changes. Or just strip the DRM as soon as you purchase a book.

Last edited by wayrad; 01-14-2010 at 12:22 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Close but not quite...
B&N sells in two different formats pdb (eReader) and ePub. In both of these formats B&N uses a very similar DRM scheme based upon a user name and a CC#.

Your JBL does not currently support the ePub based DRM scheme (it requires Adobe's RMSDK).

hmm Wallcraft beat me to this
Based on the chat, the JBL supports pdb (eReader) drm books.