Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Iliad Preorder in Germany

Hi everyone!

the site www.ebookmedia.de will be offering a preorder option for the iRex Iliad. I had an email conversation with the owner of the site and he said that he's in contact with iRex and he (or rather his company) will be "supporting the launch of the Iliad in Germany".

The bad news is that his latest price-info was 649Euro inkl. shipping and VAT...I HOPE that is wrong...because that would mean I'd have to wait for the price to drop before I order.

The guy (Jörg Wrobel) also told me that iRex is totally overwhelmed by the numer of customers that are interested in the Iliad. this is apparently also part of the problem concerning emial replies...
I must admit however, that Mr. Wrobel sounds like a very good salesman and is quick to discard both the Hanlin and the Sony reader..so maybe he has some kind of contract with iRex...so take whatever he says with a bit of sceptiscism (no idea how to spell that... )
He does however have a point...he got the software from Jinke (Hanlin V2/V8 software) and was not impressed...and we have had the same impression about the software we downloaded from Jinke (as you can read in the Hanlin V8,V2 thread)...so maybe he really isn't so wrong about the Iliad being the right choice.

Can somebody/anybody/everybody with iRex contacts try to clear up that pricing issue? It's starting to make me nervous...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 04-04-2006 at 08:54 AM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So the iRex will make it this year! Wonderful news. Regarding pricing, I am confused. Here is the relevant part of the official reply I received from a Mr Loeki van der Lee of iRex not even three weeks ago:

Thank you for your interest in our solutions for electronic reading. We expect that the first generation of the iLiad will be available by April 2006, by that time you can buy one via our website. The price of the iLiad will be EURO 549,00, inclusive VAT, exclusive transport costs.

Perhaps it's EURO 100,00 more expensive when you order it from a third party? Doesn't make much sense, though, at least for Europeans who can now benefit from open boarders. Right?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

no...that can't be it...Mr. Wrobel simply passes everything on to iRex...he's just a frontend...I think he wants to be/is a content parter of iRex.
The order itself is passed on to iRex...all Mr. Wrobel wants (as far as I could find out) is that I write "Recommended by www.ebookmedia.de" or something...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Any word on when this month the Iliad is going to be released?
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

nothing yet, not even whether it will br this month...but i'll talk to the ebookmedia guy again and see whether he has any more information...maybe iRex talks to him...:-)
Advert
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
The irex page has a new message on the home page, "available second half of april", and you can leave your email to be notified when the shop opens.

Regards, Ela.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

BAD NEWS!!!

I just received a mail from iRex.
Mr. Wrobel apparently does have good connections...they never answered my direct mails...

well...the bad news is:
"I herewith would like to inform you that we are planning to make the iLiad available for individual purchase via our Website.
We expect that the first generation of the iLiad will be available by the second half of April 2006. The price of the iLiad will be EURO 549,00, exclusive VAT and exclusive transport costs.
You may want to visit our Website (www.iRexTechnologies.com) again by that time and find the latest information about availability and how to place an order."

this is the exact text I received from iRex...please take a close look at the two "excluded"

that would be about 650Euro if you include VAT and shipping...BAD...REALLY BAD!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So they replaced "inclusive VAT" as it was stated in my e-mail from iRex with "excluive VAT." I wish they would handle this pricing issue a tad more professoinal.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

more professional and less expensive would be nice...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
drachasor
Connoisseur

Hmm, bad indeed. $650US plus shipping is about the limit on how much money I am willing to spend, so if it is going to cost a lot more then I'll just have to wait.

*sigh* I guess it gives me more time to find a good way to remove the binding from my books so I can put them through my high-speed scanner.

Is VAT something us dirty Americans have to deal with too? I've never ordered anything overseas. Does the company have to pay it for each good it makes or each one it sells?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I'm afraid you'll have to pay VAT too...import VAT as far as I know...I ordered something from US a while back and had to pay 16Percent import VAT (same as our local VAT). So 650$ will probably not be enough...

VAT is something you as individual pay for any product you buy by the way...but don#t aks me more...I'm no expert.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

As far as I know if you live here in the USA and order from Europe you do not pay VAT. I routinely order books and ocasionally DVD's from England and France (Amazon.uk/fr which charges VAT on local buyers) and they do not charge me VAT. I do not know if the same rule applies on electronics (and note that many sites do not allow sales of electronic equipment outside their region) but I expect that you should not have to pay VAT.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
drachasor
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info, Liviu_5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I'm afraid you'll have to pay VAT too...import VAT as far as I know...I ordered something from US a while back and had to pay 16Percent import VAT (same as our local VAT). So 650$ will probably not be enough...

VAT is something you as individual pay for any product you buy by the way...but don#t aks me more...I'm no expert.
We don't have any VAT in the US, so I guess we don't have to pay it...assuming we can order it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachasor
We don't have any VAT in the US, so I guess we don't have to pay it...assuming we can order it.
Yes, but iRex has to pay VAT for products they sell, since they're a Dutch company. So you have to pay it anyway.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #15
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Yes, but iRex has to pay VAT for products they sell, since they're a Dutch company. So you have to pay it anyway.

Hi,

It is an interesting question, does a company charge VAT based on its location, rather than on the buyer's location? I have not thought of this, since I assumed that Amazon.uk and Amazon.fr are locally incorporated (they do not sell electronic equipment outside EU as far as I understand their policies). The only way to find out about the Irex is to check with the seller I gues, but I think it will find its way here very quickly (if the Librie found its way from Japan...)

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote