Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #31
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
lrf files are books in their entirety.
An odd problem indeed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #32
Thorius
Thorius began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'm using a 4GB adata SDHC card and can't imagine why anybody would want to use larger capacity than that. I have probably one hundred eBooks and several audiobooks on it. It becomes too difficult navigating with many books on it. By the way it's really comfortable adding books and news feeds with calibre :-)
Thorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #33
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorius View Post
I'm using a 4GB adata SDHC card and can't imagine why anybody would want to use larger capacity than that.
Comics are much bigger than normal ebooks and you'll often want a lot of them at once.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #34
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Comics are much bigger than normal ebooks and you'll often want a lot of them at once.
I don't think we're at a point where we can read comics comfortably on a reader.
At this moment in time 1 or 2 GB is far sufficient for most ebooks.

Once the third generation; larger screen ebook readers; will appear, we'll also need more storage space.

Most likely larger readers will have double the screen resolution of current models (1200x800 pix), and that's more than enough for comic books.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #35
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

Most likely larger readers will have double the screen resolution of current models (1200x800 pix), and that's more than enough for comic books.
I have seen on TV new displays for iphone, where they make an extensive use of touchscreen to scroll the images of comics books. Of course, I do not think iphone is the best display for it, but in the future, we also could expect some clever software of this kind with touchscreen and display by stripes.

The comics books will also probably need to be adapted to these new and hugely popular devices. To make it short, I am not sure the double screen will be the one and only solution.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #36
ProDigit
Karmaniac

well,scrolling images is what the Sony PRS series already does. True, not in a fluidmotion, but that would be impossible on an e-ink screen.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #37
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't think we're at a point where we can read comics comfortably on a reader.
At this moment in time 1 or 2 GB is far sufficient for most ebooks.
Well, some are quite readable, manga and some of the independant comics work quite well (particularly non-colour ones).
I recently bought the dvd archive of fred perrys Gold Digger comic and am converting it so I'm not tethered to the computer when reading it but it does take up quite a lot of space.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Well, some are quite readable, manga and some of the independant comics work quite well (particularly non-colour ones).
I have to agree; manga is usually released in A5 format, so it fits screen size of my Cybook nicely, and I have no problems reading whole volumes on it.

Quote:
I recently bought the dvd archive of fred perrys Gold Digger comic and am converting it so I'm not tethered to the computer when reading it but it does take up quite a lot of space.
Where did you get it!? I want to buy one as well.

Edit: Ok, I found it on the Antarctic Press store... they have a way of hiding some of their releases.

Last edited by Krystian Galaj; 05-02-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #39
Kirtai
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Where did you get it!? I want to buy one as well.

Edit: Ok, I found it on the Antarctic Press store... they have a way of hiding some of their releases.
Yes, I noticed that

It contains everything up to issue 100 of the colour series, including crossovers and the mini series in jpeg and pdf iirc.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #40
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
These are clearly more suited for a netbook or laptop than a black-and-white smaller-screen e-ink Reader imo. I use my Reader for reading, a task for which it is very well-suited, and not for looking at pretty pictures.

The Reader's internal memory easily holds a fw months' worth of regular reading (well over 200 novels).
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #41
Claire94
I should be painting
Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Claire94 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 500, Blue 505, 700
I have a question as to whether I can use SD 1 or 2 GB in my venerable, almost ancient, PRS-500. I'm planning some rugged travel and don't want to risk my new 700. If the 500 comes to harm, I would be sad, but not devastated as I surely would be if the new toy was lost or broken. I'd like to carry more books than the 500 will hold, however. What is the best size to use? Do I have to "authorize" the disk as a device or will it just be attached to the 500's authorization? Any other words of advice or suggestions.

Thanks!
Claire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #42
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire94 View Post
I have a question as to whether I can use SD 1 or 2 GB in my venerable, almost ancient, PRS-500. I'm planning some rugged travel and don't want to risk my new 700. If the 500 comes to harm, I would be sad, but not devastated as I surely would be if the new toy was lost or broken. I'd like to carry more books than the 500 will hold, however. What is the best size to use? Do I have to "authorize" the disk as a device or will it just be attached to the 500's authorization? Any other words of advice or suggestions.

Thanks!
if you buy standard non SDHC cards they should work.
I believe the PRS-500 could read upto ?4GB? of regular SD cards.
In this case it's safest to buy a 2GB micro SD cards (with adaptor), as regular SD cards (non-SDHC) are nearly becoming extinct.
You might still find them though; and perhaps find that an SDHC 2 or 4GB works on the PRS-500, but I wouldn't gamble on it.
Just make sure it's no SDHC, and is 2GB and you're pretty sure.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Stick with 2GB cards and you'll be fine. The key thing is NOT to buy an SDHC card - that will NOT work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #44
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Stick with 2GB cards and you'll be fine. The key thing is NOT to buy an SDHC card - that will NOT work.
Actually, the V1.1 firmware update added "Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB", so they may well work.

While I'd agree that you should try & stick with the smaller SD cards, if you happen to have access to SDHC cards, it might be worth trying them.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know that the PRS-505 can read SDHC cards with its current firmware, but I did not realise that the 500 could also do so. Thank you for the correction!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote