Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Interesting, thanks. As I said, it's only happening on 1 of 3 (all on 2.1.5), though 1 of the 2 that it isn't happening on, isn't using a sleep cover (though I have played with it extensively, and can't reproduce the problem).

Cheers,

Matt.
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #47
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
And frankly all this monkeying about is getting in the way of me "just reading" which is what I bought the bloomin' thing for!
Good luck. I'm currently waiting for my *second* Glo replacement unit due to huge sleep-mode battery draining issues.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #48
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

I stuck 2.4.0 Glo firmware on my new touch and set it up to sleep only after 15 mins as before to repeat my previous test. I'm about 37 hours in so far and at 98%. Updates as and when.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #49
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I stuck 2.4.0 Glo firmware on my new touch and set it up to sleep only after 15 mins as before to repeat my previous test. I'm about 37 hours in so far and at 98%. Updates as and when.
That doesn't seem so bad... does it? Interesting...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #50
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
That doesn't seem so bad... does it?
No it doesn't, but it's a bit too early to pronounce I think. It would help considerably if Sameer or another Kobo employee could confirm whether power tweaks were made in this firmware revision or not to stop this blummin' guess work.

Another thing: I'm also on a different book now. To be 100% certain I should test with the other book I was reading to eliminate VelvetElvis's dodgy epub suspicions. But I also want to read, dammit!
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #51
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
No it doesn't, but it's a bit too early to pronounce I think. It would help considerably if Sameer or another Kobo employee could confirm whether power tweaks were made in this firmware revision or not to stop this blummin' guess work.

Another thing: I'm also on a different book now. To be 100% certain I should test with the other book I was reading to eliminate VelvetElvis's dodgy epub suspicions. But I also want to read, dammit!
Well I received our second replacement Glo today, charged and loaded, but was dismayed to see it upgraded the firmware on first connect only to 2.3.1.

I'm hoping it hits full release sometime this week, so I can do some test with 2.4.0. Funny thing is, I connected the Touch yesterday, and it was upgraded to 2.4.0.

Good luck! I'm hoping this finally puts this to rest myself.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Well I received our second replacement Glo today... I'm hoping it hits full release sometime this week, so I can do some test with 2.4.0.
Please do keep us posted. I'm not so hopeful for myself since I'm down to 62% now. One could argue it's marginally better than 2.1.5 but it's still nowhere near the "Old" Kobo's times. It would REALLY help to know if this is software or hardware!!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #53
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please do keep us posted. I'm not so hopeful for myself since I'm down to 62% now. One could argue it's marginally better than 2.1.5 but it's still nowhere near the "Old" Kobo's times. It would REALLY help to know if this is software or hardware!!
Damn
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #54
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
I'm not so hopeful for myself since I'm down to 62% now.
Ah prophetic words. I went to resume reading earlier this evening and was greeted with the "Please Charge your eReader" page. So from 62% to Zero in under 24 hours. Methinks the battery timings are (to put it kindly) somewhat disingenuous. Anyhow, this is clearly not functioning within specifications so here's another one going back
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #55
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Ah prophetic words. I went to resume reading earlier this evening and was greeted with the "Please Charge your eReader" page. So from 62% to Zero in under 24 hours. Methinks the battery timings are (to put it kindly) somewhat disingenuous. Anyhow, this is clearly not functioning within specifications so here's another one going back
Nooooooo Sorry to hear that.

Really though. The coincidence is much too big for it to really be hardware...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #56
Tim123
Tim123 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
My kobo glo battery was also empty every time after 1 or 2 days. I have the Cover-Up natural hemp cover case (with auto sleep) and it seems this was the problem. Even if 'automatically sleep and wake up' is off it still drains the battery. I have now bought the official Kobo cover case and after 1 week the battery is still at 92%.
Tim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #57
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim123 View Post
My kobo glo battery was also empty every time after 1 or 2 days. I have the Cover-Up natural hemp cover case (with auto sleep) and it seems this was the problem. Even if 'automatically sleep and wake up' is off it still drains the battery. I have now bought the official Kobo cover case and after 1 week the battery is still at 92%.
Wait, so, you're saying your hemp cover messed up the battery even though the Glo was not listening for the cover to open/close? Did the hemp cover have a magnet in it to be able to use this option?

One week at 92% is nice. But I'm having trouble imagining it's due to the case change...

(I don't have a case -- or rather, I have a cotton/nylon sleeve that I take off when I read.)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #58
Tim123
Tim123 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Wait, so, you're saying your hemp cover messed up the battery even though the Glo was not listening for the cover to open/close? Did the hemp cover have a magnet in it to be able to use this option?

One week at 92% is nice. But I'm having trouble imagining it's due to the case change...

(I don't have a case -- or rather, I have a cotton/nylon sleeve that I take off when I read.)
Yes, someway the cover was still able to mess with the battery even if the auto sleep/wake function was off. First I thought there was something wrong with the e-reader, but a replaced Glo had the some problem. It has indeed a magnet in it.
Tim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #59
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim123 View Post
Yes, someway the cover was still able to mess with the battery even if the auto sleep/wake function was off. First I thought there was something wrong with the e-reader, but a replaced Glo had the some problem. It has indeed a magnet in it.
Interesting. So a magnet that is in the wrong place, or has the wrong strength, or the wrong size, or whatever, messes up the battery. Hmm.

Is this reproducible? If you put your Glo back into your hemp case, does the battery life diminish?

(Still, this cannot be the cause of all our battery problems as not all of us have a case, let alone with a magnet in it.)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #60
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Really though. The coincidence is much too big for it to really be hardware...
The frustrating thing is, who can honestly say? I agree that after three touches, it's pretty unlikely all could suffer from a hardware fault. Yet I've got nothing other than suspicions that it's software related (firmware, epub construction, what-have-you). Most people seem to RMA for poor battery life, but I haven't read much feedback to convince me the replacements have been any better. Have you? Is your new Glo better?

Believe it or not I can live with most UI bugs like non-working fonts, overt marketing, non-sticky pages and even dead taps/double taps etc. I can work around them as long as I get to read an epub with a near-paper viewing experience and enjoy long battery life so I can actually use it for away from a socket for more than a few weeks. Something akin to my old Palm V perhaps, which could manage a couple of months of adhoc usage between charges.

Long battery life is simply non-negotiable for me and with no word from Kobo as to why these units do not peform to the specifications claimed, (not even a "stick with it - it's a firmware bug we're working on") I'm left with little alternative but to ask for yet another replacement or simply ask for a refund