Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Excessive screen flashing?

Hi,

I'm looking for an epub format book reader, and it looks like the new PRS-T1 is currently the best choice.

I haven't had a chance to see one in the flesh yet so I've been watching some of the video reviews of the PRS-T1 on YouTube, and am slightly alarmed at the amount of screen flashing that occurs in non-reading bits of the UI, e.g. the Sony book store.

(I'm not sure what you call this, but it is where the screen goes to black and then redraws.)

Is this flashing an artefact of the YouTube videos? Are there settings to reduce the flashing during page turns, like the new Kindles?

Chris
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Comes with the territory of e-ink. It's really no big deal, though some people seem to make a mountain out of it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Comes with the territory of e-ink. It's really no big deal, though some people seem to make a mountain out of it.
The page-to-page flicker - I agree that's probably less of a problem than some people think. There's a flicker when you change pages in a real book too :-)

What looked odd is that several bits of the UI flashed more than once when changing the display.

An example is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRhPsqyiXY from around the 4:30 mark to 4:50.

Chris
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
After reading 100's of books on my PRS-300 the T1 is a joy to use. It's faster on the page flip with less flicker, I don't notice it anymore.
With the 300 I use to flip as I was reading the next to last line, with the T1 I flip on the last word and it keeps up with me.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
To date, I'm testing one. and I have to say basic operations seem quicker and lighter than the x50.
And I don't find any of these screen flashing/page-to-page flicker/surround glare etc... "problems" worrying, but then they never used to bother me on the x50's........
However, I'm still trying to get to grips with the wifi bit - no Reader Store etc.. yet here. of course.
But I veer towards it not being a big bonus, but interesting. I do find the lightness a bit disconcerting though !

Fussy old git, inn'i ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
To date, I'm testing one. and I have to say basic operations seem quicker and lighter than the x50.
And I don't find any of these screen flashing/page-to-page flicker/surround glare etc... "problems" worrying, but then they never used to bother me on the x50's........
Nod. I've never had an e-ink device before. I suspect/hope you just get used to it.

Quote:
However, I'm still trying to get to grips with the wifi bit - no Reader Store etc.. yet here. of course.
But I veer towards it not being a big bonus, but interesting. I do find the lightness a bit disconcerting though !
Oh, there's no Sony Reader Store here in the UK? That makes my worries about the reader store flickering rather moot!

I'm happy enough buying epubs from other stores, e.g. Waterstones, Foyles, so that's not a problem. And if I need to do it on my Mac, that's also not a problem.

Do any UK public libraries work with the PRS T1?

Quote:
Fussy old git, inn'i ?
I couldn't say :-)

Chris
Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Do any UK public libraries work with the PRS T1?
Yes. You can do a search here: http://search.overdrive.com/ (I use Luton digital library: http://search.overdrive.com/SearchRe...ryBranch=55156)

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
In the browser, I find the screen flickers more if you use the touchscreen to scroll. If you use the page turn buttons, the flickering is minimized.

As for the flicker when reading, you soon learn not to notice it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Yes. You can do a search here: http://search.overdrive.com/ (I use Luton digital library: http://search.overdrive.com/SearchRe...ryBranch=55156)

Andrew
Ta. It looks like ours is supported. Something to try when I get the Sony!

Chris