Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I'm not saying Bookeen broke my Cybook. I'm saying Bookeen sold me a device which is too fragile for the purpose it's designed.

On an aside, dropping it seems pretty unlikely to damage it - inside or outside the case, as long as there isn't an impact to the screen. It's torsion/twisting/pressure that the case and shell offer no protection from. Ironically, I've never dropped mine.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
[...]
Anyway, the moral of the story is still a warning to the rest of the forum.

Please be careful if you already own a Gen3!

And if you're thinking of buying one... please be aware that you need to treat it like a sheet of thin glass... the case does not change this.
I think most of the messages that were posted after yours are meant to give perspective to your testimony.
While you had the misfortune to break the screen 3 times, there are a lot of other people who never suffered from this problem.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #18
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They came across as "Mine didn't break, yours did. Thus, you must have used it to hammer in nails". I just want to make it clear that other than the first time (clearly my fault) I don't consider myself to have been careless.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
They came across as "Mine didn't break, yours did. Thus, you must have used it to hammer in nails". I just want to make it clear that other than the first time (clearly my fault) I don't consider myself to have been careless.
Point taken.

Sorry for your loss. I'm knocking on wood mine is still in one piece after 2 years of every day use.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
Halk
Fanatic

Long may yours continue to be healthy! The good news is that other readers are catching up, and probably sooner or later there will be a reader out there that's better than the Gen3 across the board. Sadly us early adopters have to choose between a whole slew of imperfect devices! I still think the Cybook is the best out there, but my poor heart couldn't take the drama of another broken screen, so it's Sony Reader for me... (I want folders back!)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Building electonic device is not an exact science, so defective ones happens, but tree to the same person ?
Either you're not careful, or you're the most unlcky peaple in the world.

Quote:
but my poor heart couldn't take the drama of another broken screen, so it's Sony Reader for me..
Their cover protect the reader even less... And the sony screen are the same than the bookeen (well, save for the tactiles ones), so they will break just the same.
If you buy a sony, be more careful with it than with the cybooks, or it will suffer the same fate.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-01-2010 at 03:18 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
Halk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Building electonic device is not an exact science, so defective ones happens, but tree to the same person ?

Their cover protect the reader even less... And the sony screen are the same than the bookeen (well, save for the tactiles ones), so they will break just the same.
If you buy a sony, be more careful with it than with the cybooks, or it will suffer the same fate.
Last time I'll say this. It's the design of the device not me not being careful. It's not three unlucky devices which had individual defects. It's not me mistreating the devices. It's the plastic shell the devices are made with... it's insufficient to protect it during normal use.

As for the Sony device... I have both the Gen3 and the PRS600 here. There is a massive difference in the shells of them. You can see it, you can feel it, if you pick them up you can feel the difference in weight. The Nook is the same by the way, it's heavily protected.

Of course the screen itself is not any better protected. How could it be, these devices are intended to be read.... But the screen will not break on the Sony Reader through torsion, nor pressure on the edge of it. Likewise if it's in a case that's strong enough (I'm not convinced about the aftermarket Sony case yet) then if the device is stood on it will not break.

As for you saying the cover protects even less.... I can't understand that comment at all, it is entirely incorrect.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Last time I'll say this. It's the design of the device not me not being careful. It's not three unlucky devices which had individual defects. It's not me mistreating the devices. It's the plastic shell the devices are made with... it's insufficient to protect it during normal use.
Isn't the prs-600's cover a simple neoprene cover ?

If the device is wrongly designed, why do most people have no problem at all ?
Same is true for PB301, that's the same case, people don't seam to break it much.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Isn't the prs-600's cover a simple neoprene cover ?
I think that Halk is saying that the Sony's metal shell will protect it more from torsion than the Cybook's plastic shell does.
I would tend to agree with him on this.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
I think that Halk is saying that the Sony's metal shell will protect it more from torsion than the Cybook's plastic shell does.
I would tend to agree with him on this.
Yeah, but you still need to bend it a lot to cause damage. More likely a presion problem, than a torsion problem.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Oh Eowyn, if you still are able to think so, than YOU must be an unusually lucky person.

There IS such a thing as bad luck, and it does indeed tend to strike multiple times every now and then. (Plus, there are some people the universe don´t seem to like )
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, break, damaged, gen3, screen