Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Avast, me hearties!

Today is International Talk like A Pirate Day. In honor of the day all Pastafarians hold dear, I bring you a list of ebooks here on MR about freebooters, privateers, sea rovers, politicians, and other marauders. Arrrgh!

Harry CollingwoodSir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Tales of Pirates and Blue Water (Lrf, Mobi)
Sir Ralph Sir EdwardBret HartJohn HutchesonPeter KyneFrederick MarryatMax PembertonRafael SabatiniRobert Louis StevensonJosephine Tey

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-19-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Aaaarghhh, you lickspittle scalawag! Don't ye forget that modern tale of cyber-piracy

Cory Doctorow

Aaaaargh, but these days it's harder to tell the pirate from the pirated!

(spit) *ping*

Last edited by Donnageddon; 09-19-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Ak Mike
Enthusiast
Ak Mike doesn't litterAk Mike doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX; Motorola Xoom
Nate, you scared me - I thought I'd missed it. But it's tomorrow (for me) - September 19.
Ak Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
This day brought to you by the letter ARRrrr, and the letter Aye.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Shiver me timbers, laddie. You scared me too, I thought I had missed it. The shame would have been unbearable.

Thanks so much for putting all these books on one easy post. I have been looking at these books as I stumbled across them whilst browsing through the MR collection and thinking to myself, "I've really got to make some time to read some pirate books." No more excuses!

Since the temperature here is expected to be in excess of 105 for tomorrow I had intended to ensconce myself in my air-conditioned fortress and play my newest computer game but now... its pirate books all day!!!

I and my fell crew will spend the day in piraty bliss.
Fell crew: Three angry beavers who may not look all that threatening but, once they start wearing their underwear on the outside, assume their secrete identities (Baron "Once-Bad-Then-Good-Then-Bad-Again-Now-Good-Again" Beaver, Justice Gal, and Muscular Beaver) and are a terror to all that face them. Two stark and fierce sea otters, The Dread Blue One and his Clam of Incontinence and his trollop, Seaweed and her Kelp Leaf of… err… well it is really yucky feeling. Finally last and least is Mousey Chewtoy, who may only be able to inflict very small nibbles but can withstand an unlimited chewing and tossing about in the air. Our secrete weapon is Catbert, Evil Director of Human Relations. ("I see that your review is coming up.") and one trusted, if not all that useful, ally The Really Oblate Bear. ("Just call me Rob.")

Arrrrrgh!

(Now where did I put that eye patch...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrr.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	36100  

Last edited by NormHart; 09-19-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Arrrrgh, brownies!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'm retired from the US Navy, and work as a Dept. of the Army Civilian.

I go around the workplace saying AAARRRRRGGGHHH to most everything, when the soldiers ask me what that's all about I say "That's Navy for HOOAAHH!"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Remake of the best pirate adventure game of all times is only $4.99/4,49€ during this weekend:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2834/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
You forgot this one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56721

and of course its sequel here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56778

Last edited by Stormchild; 09-19-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I do not know if it has been quoted
The bucaniers of America from John Esquemeling
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...962#post596962
and Captain Canot, though it's about an unglorious slave merchant..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...archid=2458026

Last edited by roger64; 09-19-2009 at 09:46 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
If you play Sid Meier's Pirates today, every sentence of dialogue will contain "Aargh!"

On a separate (but pirate-related note): does anyone know if "A Brief History of the Murders and Robberies of the Most Notorious Pirates" by Captain Charles Johnson (speculated to be Daniel Defoe) is in the public domain? It was written in the 1700s, but I can't find it in ebook form anywhere, except on Google Books as "no preview available."

ETA: Nevermind, I think I found it.

Last edited by evenstr; 09-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Well, me hearties, I'd be keelhauled if I didn't point out

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Category:Bookshelf
(The direct link didn't work so look for the Pirates shelf link on this page.)

So anchor well off a lee shore and settle into your hammocks for some fine reading.

Arrrrgh!

Last edited by NormHart; 09-19-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Arrrrg, brownies!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

I never cease to be amazed at the wondrous things that might be found whilst bouncing about on the internet.

I give you http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19273

The Dead Men's Song
Being the Story of a Poem and a Reminiscent Sketch of its Author Young Ewing Allison
(available in HTML, MOBI, EPUB, and other formats)

While this quote from the book is not of a piratical nature I think we can all relate to Allison's vice.

Quote:
One who has never read around the clock in a virtual debauch of novel reading cannot appreciate Allison’s “Delicious Vice;” no more can he Field’s “Dibdin’s Ghost” who has not smuggled home under his coat some cherished volume at the expense of his belly—and possibly someone else’s too! “The Delicious Vice!” What a tart morsel to roll on one’s tongue in anticipation and to speculate over before scanning the pages to discover that the vice is not “hitting the pipe” or “snuffing happy dust” but is as Allison paints it with whimsical but affectionate words, “pipe dreams and fond adventures of an habitual novel-reader among some great books and their people.”
I am now setting forth on my own virtual debauch of novel reading!

Last edited by NormHart; 09-19-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'm retired from the US Navy, and work as a Dept. of the Army Civilian.

I go around the workplace saying AAARRRRRGGGHHH to most everything, when the soldiers ask me what that's all about I say "That's Navy for HOOAAHH!"
Do they ever get into talk like a pirate day on navy ships? It just be spectacular to see a few hundred sailors on a real ship get into it for the day
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Daig... uh, I mean, avast... uh, damn yer eyes... yeah, anyway, no one's interested in this one?

Blast...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-19-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote