Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
ajm23
ajm23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
No line spacing after paragraphs, Unrecognized characters

I have a bunch of ebooks that were gifted to me and which I subsequently imported to Calibre. The program was great for organizing a bunch of files whose corresponding metadata file was unclear. I can now easily view them in my Kindle Fire.

However, a number of books are lacking line-spacing in between paragraphs and in between dialogue. Others have boxes or boxed question marks in place of apostrophes and other special characters.

I think the problem lies with the original files and the way they were originally organized (with the ebook and metadata files not always placed in the same folder). So I do not believe this is a conversion error. However, it would be great if there were any theories as to how to bulk correct these issues using Calibre.

Thank you for your input(s).

-AJM
ajm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
macnab69
Zealot
macnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toysmacnab69 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 4
Some books are just bad that way.

The boxed question marks are characters not recognised by the font.

Books are not always formatted with an empty line between paragraphs.
macnab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
ajm23
ajm23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Got it. Thanks, macnab.

Anyone have any tricks then on how to format or bulk format books with either issue? (e.g. a code to insert paragraph breaks after end-quotes?)
ajm23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, formatting errors, kindle fire, line spacing