Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Exclamation Factory reset K5 using file

This was found on the Paperwhite (5.3.8). I'm too lazy to check, but it probably also works on Touch firmwares, and possibly other models.

Create the file DO_FACTORY_RESTORE (no file extension, no content) on the usb drive. Reboot.

This may come in handy if the device is "semi-bricked" and does not fully start up, but still allows access to the USB storage on boot. It wipes both the user partition and all internal settings. It does not touch the main or diags partitions.

EDIT: verified to work with all 5.3.x firmwares (both PW and Touch). It will NOT work on older Touch versions.

EDIT: confirmed on 5.4.x too .

EDIT: and on 5.6.x too .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-21-2015 at 03:28 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
DudeMan
DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.

Device: PW1
Thank you thank you thank you!

You just brought my dead PW1 back to life!!!

DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
readandforget
readandforget began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw
Hi
I have Paperwhite 1.I applayed everything on it from mobilread without any problem JB,KUAL and the others.My problem began with this post expecially after this paragraph;

"" You'll have to restart your Kindle in order to properly take your new fonts into account.
By default, the autoreboot feature is enabled. If you wish to make use of it, don't forget to drop a blank file named reboot in the linkfonts folder (right alongside the "autoreboot" file, by copying and renaming it, for example). When that file is present, your Kindle should automatically do a quick reboot 10s after you've unplugged it.""
I renamed the file as ""reboot" and my lovely kindle begin to rebooting nothing else and it ends with a familiar warning "your kindle needs repair"

PC not recognize it.I dont know how to I bring it to download mode and delete the file or any other solution?
Thanks for your efforts

ixtab
I can't see pw as a usb drive.could u pls explain your solution step by step.
thanks
readandforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@readandforget: The answer is still exactly the same as the last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@readandforget: You're in the wrong thread, and thus followed the wrong instructions for a PaperWhite.

The PW thread explicitly mentions doing the initial configuration with a shell on hand, and *never* rebooting before checking that everything is working.

Depending on what you have installed (USBNet/Rescue Pack), you have different ways of getting your Kindle back on track. See the first page of the PW thread for the nearly-last-resort fallback, and this one for the really last-resort, since that's a factory reset.
Additional hint: hard-reboot (hold the power button for a while (7 or 15s?) then release) it to open-up the few seconds window of USBMS presence.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandforget View Post
ixtab
I can't see pw as a usb drive.could u pls explain your solution step by step.
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This may come in handy if the device is "semi-bricked" and does not fully start up, but still allows access to the USB storage on boot.
Emphasis added. In other words: it won't work for you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
readandforget

no changes for Additional hint
no changes after teardown and taken off the battary
so what should i do?
Old 11-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
no changes for Additional hint
no changes after teardown and taken off the battary
so what should i do?
try kubrick
if that doesn't work, use the serial port to recover.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
readandforget

i know kubrick doesn't work for paperwhite. isn't it?
what u mean using serial port? can u explain?
thanx
Old 11-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i know kubrick doesn't work for paperwhite. isn't it?
what u mean using serial port? can u explain?
thanx
KUBRICK does not work for a paperwhite.

You should find the information on using the serial port indexed in the master wiki prefix index.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
This file have worked for me when I got "your kindle needs repair".

Thanks a lot
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
cruxado
cruxado began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by levante View Post
This file have worked for me when I got "your kindle needs repair".

Thanks a lot
Fixed my semi-bricked (had ~10sec USB connectivity) Kindle PW1!

I had an old JBatch and hadn't connected to the internet for a long while. Yesterday, I connected to the internet and the Kindle froze up. Thanks Amazon, for declaring war on custom firmwares. This is a super easy quick fix for any platform, without the need of the RUNME.sh and Ninja_JB as used by Kaznelson Please add this to the N00B debricking section.

Last edited by cruxado; 07-22-2014 at 01:15 PM.
cruxado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Amazon does not support after-market, third party, firmware additions.

Reason:
People might expect Amazon to turn out firmware as reliable as ours.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
smo84
smo84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I hate to resurrect an old thread... but I had the latest jailbreak + screensaver hack (paid ad removal pw1) and plugged it into my work machine to charge it. I unplugged it to go to lunch and saw repair code 2 on it. everything worked fine for a year mind you before this...

I thought all was lost, only had usb access for 10 seconds or so - not long enough to copy over the firmware.

Then I found this... IT WORKED! saved me from buying a new pw2!

Thanks so much!
smo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #14
urbos
urbos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Create the file DO_FACTORY_RESTORE (no file extension, no content) on the usb drive. Reboot.

Hi,
it works!
Thanks!!!
Where are You from, I'd like to buy You a beer.
urbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbos View Post
Hi,
it works!
Thanks!!!
Where are You from, I'd like to buy You a beer.
ixtab has beer directions at the bottom of this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote