Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Reader Wifi
KReader firmware information

Sorry Kobo, your website ain't up to snuff. I can't find anywhere more detailed information about the firmware on my KReader (currently: 1.9.10 (r32284 of 08 Sep 2011)), like a changelog, previous versions etc. Is it hidden so deep I can't find it or doesn't it exist?
elmussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Welcome to the board. Did you check on your device? In settings, under device information, you will see a "view" field to click for release notes. I have owned my Kobo Touch for awhile, so I have release notes for 11 builds there. Every time Kobo delivers a firmware release, you will get one of them.

Also, Kobo staff do not have an official role on the MR board. If you want to rag on them, you may have more success on the official Kobo help board at https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Welcome to the board. Did you check on your device? In settings, under device information, you will see a "view" field to click for release notes.
Thanks for the welcome. I did check on the device. I don't think the Reader firmware has this capability. There is no view field in Settings>Overview>Device Info.

Quote:
I have owned my Kobo Touch for awhile, so I have release notes for 11 builds there. Every time Kobo delivers a firmware release, you will get one of them.
Perhaps the Touch and the Reader behave differently? I don't know...

Quote:
Also, Kobo staff do not have an official role on the MR board. If you want to rag on them, you may have more success on the official Kobo help board at https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo.
It wasn't really a rag, but I thought putting "$MyModel firmware" would get me a hit. Thanks for the additional info and the "official" link.

el Mussol
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmussol View Post
Sorry Kobo, your website ain't up to snuff. I can't find anywhere more detailed information about the firmware on my KReader (currently: 1.9.10 (r32284 of 08 Sep 2011)), like a changelog, previous versions etc. Is it hidden so deep I can't find it or doesn't it exist?
Which reader do you have? Is it the WiFi without Touch screen or the Kobo Touch? The only reason I ask is that the last firmware that I'm aware of being released for the WiFi model was 1.9. 1.9.10 was only for the Kobo Touch as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by RareBird; 09-13-2012 at 03:59 PM.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
elmussol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Which reader do you have? Is it the WiFi without Touch screen or the Kobo Touch? The only reason I ask is that the last firmware that I'm aware of being released for the WiFi model was 1.9. 1.9.10 was only for the Kobo Touch as far as I'm aware.
The Wifi non-Touch version. It auto-updated on factory reset.

el Mussol
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, had you not used it in the 10 months since the update was released? When the updates are released, the change log is posted here, on Get Satisfaction, and often on the Kobo blog. You may wish to google for it.

I took 30 seconds and found several posts and threads about 1.9. Here is one of them: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=3

Last edited by taming; 09-13-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Weird. My wife has the same one and it's only 1.9 and no update was found. Oh well she'll never know the difference.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
elmussol

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
So, had you not used it in the 10 months since the update was released?
The machine is brand new. I saw an update happen and went to look for information about it on the Kobo site.

Quote:
When the updates are released, the change log is posted here, on Get Satisfaction, and often on the Kobo blog. You may wish to google for it.
You kindly pointed me to "Get Satisfaction" earlier in the thread (the existence of which is not too apparent from kobo.com in fairness -- it is not referenced from Customer Care for example). I had the mistaken thought that the website's own search facility might point me in the correct direction.

Quote:
I took 30 seconds and found several posts and threads about 1.9. Here is one of them: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=3
I am not trying to troll here. I was making the point (perhaps a little gruffly for which I apologize), that for a completely new user (ie me), the information is not readily available on the site which is referenced in the literature provided to me.

I have already worked out that this place is a much more fruitful one to gain information. Thank you for the pointers. Have a good one today.

el Mussol
Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Well, I was a little shirty with you. Any searches, including for books, is not always as easy as it could be on the Kobo websites. I used google to search for it--knowing that we were reaching very much back in time. MR posts show up in the search engines as well.

You may want to refer to your device as the Kobo WiFi. That seems to be the convention . It will make getting support easier, here and elsewhere. My husband loves his Kobo WiFi --has no interest in moving to the Touch or one of the new ones coming out. I knew that at some point it wouldn't be part of the "official" line-up, but it's a great reader. He has never had to do a factory reset, just reads on it daily without any problems at all.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
elmussol

Quote:
You may want to refer to your device as the Kobo WiFi. That seems to be the convention .
Noted.

el Mussol