Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #31
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Something recent? What about Howard Jacobsen's The Finkler Question which won the most recent Man Booker Prize? (First humour entry to win this prize in eons.) It's under $10 as an e-book, and on the Overdrive library system.

So nominated.
I third the Finkler Question.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #32
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Humour - what a subject! I rarely read humour so this month will be interesting.

I nominate "Naked" by David Sedaris. It's a collection of autobiographical short stories, and the funniest book I've ever read.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #33
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I am amazed how few of the late model humor related titles are not out as ebooks yet. I've already shot down about ten titles.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #34
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I second (third) The Super Sad Love Story
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #35
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For the sake of nominating - I just bought the Hal Spacejock series - so I nominate Hal Spacejock #1.

I'm not really a humour reader, but as I just bought these and they're available quite cheaply in ePub or mobi from the author's site and are not geo-restricted in any way this makes them attractive to me. #1 is only $1.99 at the moment.

If you're interested - you can purchase them here: http://www.spacejock.com.au/index.html

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
For the sake of nominating - I just bought the Hal Spacejock series - so I nominate Hal Spacejock #1.

I'm not really a humour reader, but as I just bought these and they're available quite cheaply in ePub or mobi from the author's site and are not geo-restricted in any way this makes them attractive to me. #1 is only $1.99 at the moment.

If you're interested - you can purchase them here: http://www.spacejock.com.au/index.html

Regards
Caleb
I'll second this.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thanks, I checked and added the other sites. Inkmesh just happens to be the quickest for me, as I try to keep up with the information.

Additional links would always be welcome.

List in Post #26 is updated to this point.
One reason I don't suggest Inkmesh is that it is broken. I chose A Confederacy of Dunces at random and looked at the Inkmesh link and it's missing the entry to Sony. Sony has it for sale yet Inkmesh doesn't show it. Also, I do think it would be good to post a link to Overdrive to show what libraries have these if any do. One other reason not to use Inkmesh is that it searches the iBookstore and we should not be helping to give Apple any eBook business since they caused the agency mess we have now.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-21-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #38
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I third A Confederacy of Dunces
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #39
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
This has been on my TBR list for a while, so I nominate Gulliver's Travels
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I nominate

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
Quote:
When sensible, sophisticated Flora Poste is orphaned at nineteen, she decides her only choice is to descend upon relatives in deepest Sussex. At the aptly named Cold Comfort Farm, she meets the doomed Starkadders: cousin Judith, heaving with remorse for unspoken wickedness; Amos, preaching fire and damnation; their sons, lustful Seth and despairing Reuben; child of nature Elfine; and crazed old Aunt Ada Doom, who has kept to her bedroom for the last twenty years. But Flora loves nothing better than to organize other people. Armed with common sense and a strong will, she resolves to take each of the family in hand. A hilarious and merciless parody of rural melodramas, Cold Comfort Farm (1932) is one of the best-loved comic novels of all time.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Second Cold Comfort Farm.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
Would this book qualify for the category of humor?
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #43
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Post #26 updated to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
Would this book qualify for the category of humor?
I see that it states it uses satire, so I was not sure. I put the question under the nominated book. I looked satire up and found the below.
Quote:
Noun

satire (countable and uncountable; plural satires)

1. (uncountable) A literary technique of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject often as an intended means of provoking or preventing change. Humour is often used to aid this.
2. (countable) A satirical work.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I know this is the book and not the mini-series, but I did see the NBC mini-series and it was very well done. But, in no way would I have said it's a comedy.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Post #26 updated to this point.

I see that it states it uses satire, so I was not sure. I put the question under the nominated book. I looked satire up and found the below.
But satire does not mean it has to be funny. I would say this should be stricken from the list as it really isn't a humorous book.