Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Exclamation Why Kindle DX graphite: attention About Firmware & PDF Not betters

Why Kindle DX graphite: attention About Firmware & PDF Not betters:

Well, I'm a little surprised, , in principle I am not very happy, for the following reason,

Quote:
Why firmware on Kindle 3, is better that Kindle DX graphite is both are from the last generation and similar hardware?, why limit / deny options in the last Dx model?, the most expensive model, also. Ilogic(PDF support are better on 6")

(We should get a better upgrade for DX Kindle graphite, has 4 GB, has the same screen, and hardware like the Kindle 3, but has no support for PDF is identical ...; the browser also is something more faster ...) & PDF support, academic and work files IS NOT LIKE. on DX only img, not "search", not notes marks

I have a Kindle DX graphite (lasted generation), inconveniently not read password Protect PDF... and another important options... see after...

My surprise is motivated by the Kindle model 3 yes!, ...you can read your PDF files with password you use, (obviously you know your own password), it is necessary for some pdf at work, or simply because you're interested in protecting your files pdf.

KINDLE DX original previus have some hardware is different hardware that the lasted generation, say amazon; Graphite Kindle Dx, besides the changes in the image (different screen that gives rise to 50% high contrast, is slightly faster, has twice the RAM, 2GB to 4GB, similar Kindle 3, ...)

That problem is the firmware on Kindle DX is version 2.5.5 graphite (still), when in the Kindle model 3, are already the version 3.0.2? ... (see capture and see that "not" permit "update your kindle", because not exit today another version... !

The advantages of being able to read pdf files with the improvement is obvious, to add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. ¡¡¡ this is very good for kindle 3, but, ¿why not on DX graphite¡?,

Quote:
obviously the screen size is more suitable in the format of 9.7 ", is a device intended for that use, so academic, and professional, kindle 3 is better for other books, maybe, is lighter, but not for PDF files ....
I sent the question to amazon to compare whether this was true and:

Amazon say/said:

Quote:

[Hello,

Kindle devices supported for PDFs are the (Kindle Latest Generation and 2nd Generation) and Kindle DX.

Kindle latest generation alone supports the password protected PDF files.

Your Kindle (6" Display) and Kindle DX can display PDF documents without losing the formatting of the original file. With the built-in PDF reader, you can send PDF documents directly to your Kindle to have them available anytime.

The latest generation Kindle includes native PDF support that allows you to add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs.

I hope this information helps.we look forward seeing you again soon.]
Ok, fantastic for kindle 3, but why not Kindle DX graphite support that !

Quote:
In website amazon, shopping web info:

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally – Latest Generation
by Amazon
4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2,401 customer reviews)
Price: $379.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Quote:
Built-In PDF Reader
Unload the loose documents from your briefcase or backpack, and put them all on Kindle. From neighborhood newsletters to financial statements to case studies and product manuals--you can take them all with you on Kindle DX. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. Zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan around to more easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle DX and read them anytime, anywhere. Some features such as annotations and read-to-me are not currently supported for PDF. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows. Learn more
this is different than previous models, using the Kindle's browser can access the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle # Kindle_DX

Quote:
Kindle DX Graphite
On July 1, 2010, Amazon released a new revision of the Kindle DX graphite (3rd Generation Kindle DX). As well as dropping the price from $489 to $379, the new Kindle DX has an E Ink screen with 50% better contrast ratio and comes only in a "graphite" color. It is speculated the color change is to improve contrast ratio perception even further, as some users found the previous white casing highlighted the fact that the E Ink background is gray and not white.
In website amazon shop 6": , shopping web info:

Quote:
Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation

Quote:
Improved, Built-In PDF Reader
Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle and read them anytime, anywhere. Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. You can also magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode, and zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan to easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows.

Hardware similar, Similar selling title in the store, see bold text, however, I see a "blocking features in the DX kindle graphite" ...

Quote:
insert coment not mail text: excuse me, new we can not make notes, and marks, dictionary look-up, only image viewing mode on pdf, ok, but it not makes sense that the model of 6 yes, and the top model and rather more expensive, can not ...
Before, they could have some kind of justification, but now we see that the smaller Kindle can support these features, (and both have similar ram, 4Gb, and similar ink pear, and hardware, there not exist good reason to maintain this blockade in the software version of the most expensive model kindle...

In my facture ORDER buy read this:

Quote:
Delivery estimate: August 5, 2010 - August 9, 2010
Shipping estimate for these items: August 3, 2010
1 "Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Clip-On Light (Kindle Version) Black [Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging]"
Electronics; $19.99

Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.
1 "Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7” Display, Graphite – Latest Generation [Includes USB Cable for Charging. For International Shipment]"
Electronics; $379.00

1 "Amazon Kindle EU (European Union Universal) Power Adapter [Fits Kindle and Kindle DX]"
Electronics; $19.99

1 "Kindle DX Leather Cover, Black (Fits 9.7" Display, Latest and 2nd Generation Kindle DXs)"
Electronics; $54.99

I wonder, is it really a new Kindle model DX graphite, is it misleading to indicate that data on the invoice-order, and in the web shop title, and after, then, limit the options?, when do they think updating the DX version graphite, which has a similar hardware to K3, +50 % high contrast, 4 GB, cpu, etc ...?

Do you have a similar problem?,

I will refer to you to ask for service-support-of-Amazon, if your invoice order buy indicates "Last Generation", and your model ~ Are after July 7), it is logical that pdf has the same characteristics that the smallest model, the K3, because have similar hardware ...

It is possible that "many" request improvements in the firmware / bios, Amazon thinks implement, (come on Amazon, ipad can read that files ¡, i like more read on Kindle, but... see to see... )

I think these are great features, very necessary in a large-format Kindle ... that is much more logical to read a technical pdf, password protect it, or simply make notes and Dictionary searches in this size device ... for school, work, or documents already created in the past...

Quote:
advertising to describe the title in the store should commit a bit to update the version of DX graphite
Send one mail question about it to support-amazon, for me, and for you too... for all us... ;-|

bye, from Spain.

ps: (excuse my rare English please)

Quote:
echo off: <not smiles for this this post, sorry...>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bios 2-5-5 not have good options pdf support.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	60829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Password kindle pdf screen_shot-58887.gif
Views:	464
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	60830   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDF is better on 6 that 9 firmware bios.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	60831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lastes Generation kindle pdf.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	60832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Models wikipedia info.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	60833  

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 12:25 AM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
KRorschachZ
Update

OPEN FILES PDF two options...

suggestion:

PDF File Manager should have two modes of operation in the Kindle DX graphite:

current mode, type "image", "not out of square" format of the document.

and if the document is allowed and is well displayed, open with the source format and adaptation to the screen, some documents may not be good, but others would be perfect, plus allow access to files with extra options, such as key-pasword, etc. .., but that would be good to have two options open in the setup ....

( And that is also valid for the Kindle 3, which also should have two opening modes are configurable.)

bye from Spain.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
http://techblissonline.com/wp-content/uploads/unlock-pdf-files.jpg

...not only is that, (unlock), are notes, mark, search diccionary and maybe size of files...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crash to pdf password my.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	60839  

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

oh its you again, i already told you how to fix ghostscript errors. Unless you are trying to decrypt a newer PDF this application will work fine (up to 1.6 i think)

If you need newer, use something like Advanced PDF Password Recovery 5 (not freeware)
there are many others.

I also told you before, they may not update the firmware, so the only other e-ink with this size that has what you want available is the entourage, so get that or deal with the DX

http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html
Old 11-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Quote:
I also told you before, they may not update the firmware, so the only other e-ink with this size that has what you want available is the entourage, so get that or deal with the DX[/URL]
Why are you saying so ? There has already been few threads here where users shared their correspondence with Amazon, in which Amazon's employees declared that there is gonna be firmware update for KDXG, which will include PDF support improvements known from K3.
manalesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
oh its you again, i already told you how to fix ghostscript errors. Unless you are trying to decrypt a newer PDF this application will work fine (up to 1.6 i think)

If you need newer, use something like Advanced PDF Password Recovery 5 (not freeware)
there are many others.

I also told you before, they may not update the firmware, so the only other e-ink with this size that has what you want available is the entourage, so get that or deal with the DX

Hello dear friend,

In the end, I printed the document and scan pdf img, actually that is what I will teach DX anyway ...

Other programs, yes, but "then" I need to convert all my files with key academics without it, (and I like to keep the key in some files in the job for obvious reasons)

I only ask that "KINDLE DX" do the same as the Kindle 3, there is no reason to prevent DX hardware read and allow it to be the key.

Edit post:

I see now that your program:

Quote:
Advanced PDF Password Recovery Pro is a program that helps you decrypt protected Adobe Acrobat PDF files after user passwords and / or owner defined, limiting the opening or editing, printing, selecting text and graphics, etc. ..
I remember that I explained that I have my own passwords, I think the translator that translated it correctly, you are offering me a program to trap passwords and also other payment ... for that you do not necessary pay, but still uncomfortable, you have to do with each file ...

Quote:
thinking me: (If you need, I can send you the invoice/orders of my pdf files and magazines in a private message, ...)
On your coments model, is very nice but very heavy. Also, at the time, it was not marketed. (ink pearl not similar neither)

Let's see, understand me, I like the graphite DX Kindle, I think there's rival, is good, but should be better, I personally think it is a "red herring" or bug, can not open pdf files with DRM, because if can be done in the last model, Kindle 3.

Here, in this post, we say that DX has a (almost) bug, a problem that I think influences and care to the majority of the owners of DX (LATEST generation) ...

Quote:
thinking me: (many teachers use in their pdf password they give their students, only students)
It is important in the academic sector and professional, that thing, it is right to have a real PDF native support (no one is asking for anything exceptional as it was before, in fact, already done ...)

Best Greetings/regards. from Spain...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Password kindle pdf screen_shot-58887.gif
Views:	424
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	60889  

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalesar View Post
Why are you saying so ?
Maybe SPAM: "enTourage eDGe™ Features", ;-) - I think there are a dozen large models that can be named, techno-smoke, much much much, but next year, or a crazy price, or really do not operating for the general public. only advertising, fairs expensive cars ... (only 100 units for some youtubes movies)

Quote:
in which Amazon's employees declared that there is gonna be firmware update for KDXG, which will include PDF support improvements known from K3.
sorry, I did not understand very well (gonna?), they have said yes or no? maybe ...

that is, they have said that the last one there is 2.5 actualmetne

or whether this will be the last and final

or that the latter is 2.5, but is working on another ... (To me have said they are working hard to improve the graphite DX kindle options, but who knows, maybe it was a text, copy, paste)

Best Regards, From Spain...
Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
manalesar
manalesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX 2 Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
sorry, I did not understand very well (gonna?), they have said yes or no? maybe ...
gonna = going to
They said YES.
manalesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
gonna = going to
They said YES.
( amazing, google translator says almost the opposite )

excuse the language shift, I'm crying with joy, or I'm crying with happiness ... ( i have not emotion for that¡)

if we ask much, just give them more quickly ...
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
curstpriest
Confused

Quote:
Why are you saying so ? There has already been few threads here where users shared their correspondence with Amazon, in which Amazon's employees declared that there is gonna be firmware update for KDXG, which will include PDF support improvements known from K3.
The amazon employees are pretty clueless...
When I call them and asked how long the battery on my DXG should last, they happily told me that it should work for 2-3 weeks of constant reading with the 3g and tts off. I told them that it's more like 40-60 hours (depending on how fast I read books ~ about 450 wpm) Their response was to let it charge a few nights.

Most users report similar usage times from what I have heard (getting only 2-3 weeks reading an hour or 2 a day). From what I have gathered, unless you are the world's slowest reader, the folks at amazon support are blatant liars.

I also asked about firmware upgrades and PDF support and they said updates are in the works.

As far as hardware.. The K1 and K2 have comparable firmware, but you don't see them giving the K1 support. I agree that the DXG was released recently, and that it will probably get updated soon, but they don't seem to be making any great effort to do anything about updating it.

IMO we will know if they plan on updating PDF support / Browser support / Multiple fonts when they introduce lending and all that other crap that should filter down to the K2/DX series readers.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
The amazon employees are pretty clueless...
When I call them and asked how long the battery on my DXG should last, they happily told me that it should work for 2-3 weeks of constant reading with the 3g and tts off. I told them that it's more like 40-60 hours (depending on how fast I read books ~ about 450 wpm) Their response was to let it charge a few nights.

Most users report similar usage times from what I have heard (getting only 2-3 weeks reading an hour or 2 a day). From what I have gathered, unless you are the world's slowest reader, the folks at amazon support are blatant liars.

I also asked about firmware upgrades and PDF support and they said updates are in the works.

As far as hardware.. The K1 and K2 have comparable firmware, but you don't see them giving the K1 support. I agree that the DXG was released recently, and that it will probably get updated soon, but they don't seem to be making any great effort to do anything about updating it.

IMO we will know if they plan on updating PDF support / Browser support / Multiple fonts when they introduce lending and all that other crap that should filter down to the K2/DX series readers.
OK,

In many companies are recorded phone calls, they tell what they are told they have to say ... (Bosses)

With the small print of the conditions the battery lasts maybe that ...

Have you seen any laptop on the hours that says the battery lasts?, Never, says if a laptop lasting 5 hours, they are actually 2.5 -

The DX Kindle graphite is 3 or 4 days if left constantly running 3G, but obviously has a great influence where this location, "with" the 3G coverage, they have been measured under ideal conditions ..

I think his time is past some 10,000 page ... if we leave 3G off.

And if we put Queen on the mp3, 3G and read 600 words by minute ...

ONE DAY or TWO ... a lot of hours by day....

So saying, I believe this post, this topic and you spend so much time to put some pressure on Amazon to "requests from its clients" and earned a reputation ... and there are books in the competition, then those details should take care of them, it's not like before, he was just Amazon ereaders market ...

Greetings.

(K3, Have More long battery mAp 1750 ...) other version have mAp 1530 ... and software on K3 is more optimized... webkit.. etc...

bye from Spain.

PS: Almost all mobile phone have not battery hours that they say....

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
curstpriest
Confused

Pretty sure with 3g on and mp3's playing and constantly turning pages + using webbrowser you'll get like 3-4 hours even with optimal 3g coverage.

You can do the maths of how much power the display draws from the battery to refresh itself (1 page turn alone) and I'm pretty sure that alone is > than 10k page turns. On the DX model it's probably greater than 5k... e-ink displays are not THAT energy efficient. The board does use energy, and the 3g module does consume an enormous amount when it is active.

Oh, and my laptop using standard cell battery is said to last 4-5 hours with stock Windows 7.
Normally with Wifi On Browsing the Net I get 3-4.
Disabling FLASH player and turning of WINDOWS AERO interface I get 4-5 easily, which is up to spec.
Gaming is a completely other matter.
Without wifi/bluetooth, and no utilization of the gfx chipset I can easily get 5 hours, all with 100% backlighting, so appearantly DELL does not lie about their battery life.

Amazon version would be: "Long battery life, up to 3 weeks of standby, or two days" ... in the vacuum of space, with the back light off, hard drive spun down, 3d chip set disabled, sound muted, wifi+bluetooth off, processor underclocked to 5%, using notepad for 10 minutes every 3 hours for 2 days...

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Pretty sure

not not prety sure, was an approximation, ;-)

Past 10,000 page, I was referring to all shutdown, possibly get past the 10,000 page, "I never got tested often, what you get tested? ... (10,000 pages past, only turning off 3G)

(I think it also depends on "size" of the sources chosen, because it takes less time to draw when they are few. And much more if we choose the smallest)

Coupling with music or flashlight, battery down faster.

With the 3G, when the battery "is touched", if I turn it off (3G), recovery, 5 ~ 10% battery maybe ... when load is low I mean.

Possibly exaggerate a little, not 3 weeks, unless we use him half an hour every day ...

In any case, the new operating system (present in Kindle 3), (we (DX) need new firmware/update...) seems to consume less battery. (Although the battery is also more powerful),

In any case ... I love the concept, "static image" ~zero consumption. (Obviously off the 3G, that if it eat enough battery), at least in Spain ...

best regards, from here...

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.