Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Kindle 3, Instapaper, and Give Me Something to Read

(Note: Taken from my blog here - I hope someone on the forums can help me!)

When I first signed up for Instapaper I got the Pro version (then a $4.99 one-time purchase) tapped in the Give Me Something to Read RSS Feed, marked the little checkbox to sync the newly created folder with my iPhone, and I had a steady stream of articles to read as I went.

Since buying a Kindle 3 recently I noticed that I can use Instapaper with that too so I went to Extras → Set up Wireless Delivery and correctly set up the email forwarding etc. but ran in to a few problems.

The periodical formatting was missing out article descriptions. This was important to me as I don’t want to read everything that appears there and you often can’t figure much out from the title alone.

The main problem — Instapaper only emails unread articles from your default folder and not your other folders. It’s possible to go to the Instapaper website and navigate to the GMSTR folder and then click to download the Kindle .mobi file and send that to my Kindle via Calibre but for something that used to take no effort at all on an iPhone… it’s a number of extra layers that I technically ought to be able to do without.

I then tried to just subscribe to GMSTR with Kindlefeeder, an RSS delivery service for the Kindle that I’d heard about, but when I looked in to that I noticed the ‘Average words per entry’ listed was ~100. Just the descriptions, then, and not the full articles. I don’t know much about RSS and what kinda magic goes on between GMSTR/Instapaper that I can just type in the RSS url there and get full articles, but there you go.

So, I’m stuck. I’ve resorted to adding GMSTR as an extra feed in Google Reader and manually adding the articles I like the look of. Can anyone suggest something better?
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote