Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to tell if an eBook is Topaz or AZW is to download the sample or in this case the free eBook and look inside the file and see if TPZ is at the top of the file or not. If it is, it's a Topaz and if not, it's not.

If you have to pay for the eBook, then download the sample and look at that. That will show if the eBook is Topaz or not without spending money on the eBook to find out.

Owing to the fact that I do not have a Kindle, I have no use at all for Topaz.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #47
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Persuader by Lee Child. This is the seventh book in the Jack Reacher series.

Synopsis

Jack Reacher.

The ultimate loner.

An elite ex-military cop who left the service years ago, he’s moved from place to place…without family…without possessions…without commitments.

And without fear. Which is good, because trouble—big, violent, complicated trouble—finds Reacher wherever he goes. And when trouble finds him, Reacher does not quit, not once…not ever.

But some unfinished business has now found Reacher. And Reacher is a man who hates unfinished business.

Ten years ago, a key investigation went sour and someone got away with murder. Now a chance encounter brings it all back. Now Reacher sees his one last shot. Some would call it vengeance. Some would call it redemption. Reacher would call it…justice.
Added to this list. Thanks for the heads up!

That book seems right up my alley.
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's part of a series. And if you like to read in order, it'll be a while till you get to it.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #49
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Someone elsewhere opined that this was the best book of the series. So I'm willing to start here, and back up later, if I like the style.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I like to start at the beginning f a series because later books can make references to thing that we are expected to know or give out spoilers. And previous books can be written such that things are spoiled if we know what happens in future books.

A good example is Discworld. We get in-jokes and references that won't make sense had we not read the books that came before the one we are reading.
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #51
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I picked up "His Majesty's Dragon" when that bunch was released. I am now on the 4th book! IT is a really good series IMHO. I hope this is one of the reasons Amazon does this, to hook a reader on an author so we keep reading their stuff.
Same comment about "Assassin's Apprentice" (still free). I didn't plan to like it, but it's *great* ..... and I've now finished book 2 & 3. There is a next series which appears disconnected, but a friend assures me it is related so I have to keep buying ..... and another series after that too!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Same comment about "Assassin's Apprentice" (still free). I didn't plan to like it, but it's *great* ..... and I've now finished book 2 & 3. There is a next series which appears disconnected, but a friend assures me it is related so I have to keep buying ..... and another series after that too!
I've read Assassin's Apprentice and it was a really good read. I have started on the 2nd in the series. But that will take a bit as I have other books in the works as well plus whatever the next book club eBook will be.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I too just read the Assassin's Apprentice and really liked it, and also bought books 2 and 3. I'm halfway through the 2nd book and I'm not as happy with it because of unrealistic human actions. For example, Prince Verity's reaction to Prince Regal's treating of King Shrewd's illness, and this is just one glaring example. I'm fine with unrealistic magic in a fantasy novel, but not unrealistic human reactions. The 2nd book also moves at far slower pace. Lastly, a friend blurted out a spoiler, and if its true I won't even bother reading the 3rd book.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I am glad you are enjoying it. But, Deb, why would you start reading a book you didn't plan to like?

BOb
Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #55
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Cuz it was free! And, it wasn't awful ... but the first time I started, I didn't get very far. Later on .... I couldn't put it down!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cuz it was free! And, it wasn't awful ... but the first time I started, I didn't get very far. Later on .... I couldn't put it down!
I see fair enough. I have decided to forgo getting or reading every free book. I have made that mistake a few times, Giving Chase, Murder List which both turned out to be waste of my time books. So I have stopped grabbing every free book out there and am going to read what I want to.

Not that free books aren't great.

BOb
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #57
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So I have stopped grabbing every free book out there and am going to read what I want to.

Not that free books aren't great.

BOb
Me too. If isn't a book that sounds interesting, I pass it by.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #58
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So lets keep reporting this thread until it gets moved.
Please tell me you are not suggesting that folks spam the moderators until they cave. I understand why you don't agree with the mods' decision to leave the post here, but I think we can be a bit more civilized than that.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Please tell me you are not suggesting that folks spam the moderators until they cave. I understand why you don't agree with the mods' decision to leave the post here, but I think we can be a bit more civilized than that.
Thank you for that.

Moderator BOb
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Moderator BOb
MOd BOb!
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap, cheap kindle books, free, free kindle books