Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Entourage Edge

I was wondering if anyone has ordered the Entourage Edge.
When will the first shipment be out?

I am dying for a review on the Edge cause I am seriously thinking about getting one. I want a big screen eBook reader for my textbooks and my PRS 505 is bad at that job.

Considered the Irex DR1000, PRS 900 and Kindle DX and seem to want a Sony but the edge is only reason I am holding back on this.

On another note, will the edge be sold through any retailers?
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
SpiritGreywolf
Voracious Reader
SpiritGreywolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500&505
I pre-ordered mine yesterday. After being seriously "underwhelmed" by the iPad, and coming "this" close to a Kindle DX for the larger screen for PDF's (I already have a Sony e-Reader) I think the Edge has pretty much all of the things I was waiting for.

Open Android OS, two screens - one touch LCD, one e-Ink, etc. Yep - I can't wait till they ship.
SpiritGreywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I ordered mine Jan 9th and I am on the February shipping schedule.

As soon as it arrives, I will be doing an UnBoxxing review probably with video. Look for it.

Here is a link to a post I wrote on what I found to be the differences between the Entourage Edge and the Apple iPad.
Entourage Edge Countdown #18

Last edited by paulckennedy; 01-29-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Misspelling
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
I ordered mine Jan 9th and I am on the February shipping schedule.

As soon as it arrives, I will be doing an UnBoxxing review probably with video. Look for it.

Here is a link to a post I wrote on what I found to be the differences between the Entourage Edge and the Apple iPad.
Entourage Edge Countdown #18
Cool will be happy to read your notes and comments. I also hope you post many, many photos
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Definitely looking forward to the first reviews of this!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
This looks great. Since it is Linux, I assume that I can put MobiPocket Reader software on it IF there is Java available. Or, if there is a WINE implementation. Anyone know?

I want to be able to read library books from Overdrive.com. ePub, PDF, AND Mobipocket.

I really like the idea of both an LCD and eInk screen - either or both at the same time.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
scoff
Enthusiast
scoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'm really on the fence about the eDGe (the pun was too easy), so I can't wait for paulckennedy's review.
  • I like that you'll be able to export your scribbles on-top of whatever document you're working on as long as it doesn't have DRM.
  • I like that you can use the docs2go pdf viewer to read a PDF while taking notes on the e-ink side at the same time.
  • I don't like that you can't backup to your own server using their backup feature.
  • I don't like that it doesn't automagically crop the margins. (although it does have a persistent zoom feature)
scoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoff View Post
I'm really on the fence about the eDGe (the pun was too easy), so I can't wait for paulckennedy's review.
  • I like that you'll be able to export your scribbles on-top of whatever document you're working on as long as it doesn't have DRM.
  • I like that you can use the docs2go pdf viewer to read a PDF while taking notes on the e-ink side at the same time.
  • I don't like that you can't backup to your own server using their backup feature.
  • I don't like that it doesn't automagically crop the margins. (although it does have a persistent zoom feature)
ok. lets see.
  1. The export feature for your scribbles I believe will be expanded upon with future work that they will be doing with the Blackboard alliance they have made.
  2. The Docs2Go feature to view PDFs is something I didn't catch but I will definately be trying it out.
  3. The Backup feature that they have provided I see as a tool. The system is basically a modded Linux. I am certain it is possible to write a backup feature to use in its place. You can't do that with the iPad.
  4. I truly have no feelings on the margin issue. I'll just have to see it in my hands and find out what I can do to modify it for my viewing preferences.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

I asked Entourage Edge Customer Support about the possibility of a customer putting MobiPocker Reader on. That I wanted to read protected versions of ePub, PDF, and MobiPocket from the public library (Overdrive.com). I asked about WINE, or a java based MobiPocket Reader.

The response was underwhelming:
Entourage Edge supports non-DRM'd PDF and ePub AND DRM'd eBooks sold by themselves.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
paulckennedy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I asked Entourage Edge Customer Support about the possibility of a customer putting MobiPocker Reader on. That I wanted to read protected versions of ePub, PDF, and MobiPocket from the public library (Overdrive.com). I asked about WINE, or a java based MobiPocket Reader.

The response was underwhelming:
Entourage Edge supports non-DRM'd PDF and ePub AND DRM'd eBooks sold by themselves.
Just got an email from Tom Conklin, Director of Product Management with Entourage Systems, Inc. and he says,

Paul,

That’s wrong. We do support DRM’d PDF’s on the e-reader and it does use Adobe Digital Reader.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
asjogren
Addict

How about some hints as to the extendability of the Entourage Edge:

Is the SDK expected to be like the Android SDK, just updated for the capabilities of the Entourage Edge, or, something very different?

Will there be other tools, like Python, Perl, and shell scripts?

Are the current set of Android programming books on the market very relevant?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
paulckennedy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
How about some hints as to the extendability of the Entourage Edge:

Is the SDK expected to be like the Android SDK, just updated for the capabilities of the Entourage Edge, or, something very different?

Will there be other tools, like Python, Perl, and shell scripts?

Are the current set of Android programming books on the market very relevant?
As far as the SDK is concerned, I have asked Entourage to inject some information for us.

I believe that the Edge is an enhanced Android device. I do not believe that the underlying Android OS has been limited as they have stated that any Android application should run on the system. Granted, the device does not have any phone equipment so I would take that to mean all apps which do not require that equipment to run.

Personally I plan to install the Android Scripting Environment which should give me Python script access to the machine.

I am anticipating being able to write a standard Android application for it. In that vein, I have started modifying a Sudoku game to show me how to program Dalvik.

I am hoping that the SDK gives us access to the e-Ink driver so that we can write applications which will utilize the stylus interface. I am also hoping that the SDK will provide information as to how to link the Library to Evernote.

Unfortunately, all of these are at the moment hopes and dreams. Maybe Entourage will give us some insight as to how they want the Developer community to enhance the device.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
asjogren
Addict

Thanks PaulCKennedy!

Certainly components of the SDK already exist - at least in an internally usable form.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
paulckennedy
Addict

We will have to wait and see.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
asjogren
Addict

Will iReader work directly? This is a $2 purchase for an Android based phone.

Or, are there plans to make iReader work with Entourage Edge?

The Entourage Edge could be the premier eBook reading platform:
- ePub and PDF included
- supposed Adobe Digital Editions support so DRM's ePub and PDF *should* work
- With iReader MobiPocket and eReader (PDB) support