Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Wrexem
Wrexem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3.2.1 - Jailbreak

Apologies - maybe this belongs in the dev corner...

Is there work being done on a 3.2.1 jailbreak?
Wrexem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrexem View Post
Apologies - maybe this belongs in the dev corner...

Is there work being done on a 3.2.1 jailbreak?
Has Amazon released 3.2.1 firmware?
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I think 3.2.1 is what the ad driven Kindles use. No there is no jailbreak for it yet nor am I sure there will be one.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Yea [sigh] I blew it with this one - I bought the KSO telling myself that if the ads bothered me, I'd JB it. I like the Kindle and use it a lot, and now I'd really like to get rid of those VISA ads and do my own screensaver.

I toyed with the idea of working on a JB myself but I'm not a Linux guy (I'm a Windows developer) and I'd probably waste a lot of time before giving up.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

is there any consumer product that has not been jailbroken? It's just a matter of time...
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133822 is one way to remove the ads, use at your own risk
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Yes but if you do that you still can't have your own screensaver images. You just get a K3 that's complaining about the missing ads.

Last edited by jimh12345; 05-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
HatboxGhost
HatboxGhost began at the beginning.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Yes but if you do that you still can't have your own screensaver images. You just get a K3 that's complaining about the missing ads.
I'm new to Kindle and did not even know an ad supported device existed. When I asked why one Kindle was $114 and another was $139 a store employee told me they were the same but one was older than the other. I'd never heard of this before, but I'd also never really heard of an ad-supported agreement on a piece of hardware. Anyway, I feel a little ripped off now and every time I see the banner or shut off my kindle it only reminds me. I'll probably be contacting Amazon to see if there's a way for me to buy myself out of the ad-supported feature. I don't care if there are good deals - I don't want to see ads for makeup I'll never wear and cars I'll never buy on my kindle. If I could afford those things, I would've spent the extra $75 on a 3G/Wifi kindle. Had I known they were going to put ads on this one, I would've paid the extra $25.

Anyway, after hours of trying to JB this thing, I finally gave up and tried my own approach. I backed up all of my books, reset the kindle to factory settings, connected to my wifi.

Upon registering, once I saw that it was registered I quickly switched down to the wifi settings and turned it off. I then removed the wifi from my settings just to make sure it didn't reconnect on its own. You have to make sure that you shut off the wifi after it registers and before it downloads the screensavers.

You won't be able to connect to wifi after this without those ads downloading, but I don't plan on using my kindle for wifi anyway. Also, I simply moved my back-up folder back onto the kindle and all of my books were back.

I've yet to figure out a way to replace the factory screensaver without Jailbreaking it, but at least this way you can sort your library into Collections and still use the default screensaver instead of the ads. Somebody will more than likely come up with a hack within the next few weeks, so this is just a temporary pacifier for myself.

If you bought the ad-supported version knowing full well that it was cheaper because of the ads, then yeah the ethical thing would be to allow the ads...but, as weird as this may sound, hacking is about saving $ about as much as rape is about sex. It's the same thrill that people driving 10 under while blocking off lanes of traffic get when they make everybody behind them late for work.

If they let me pay the $25 to remove the ads I'll do that, until then I'll be looking at dead authors.

Last edited by HatboxGhost; 06-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
HatboxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I think 3.2.1 is what the ad driven Kindles use. No there is no jailbreak for it yet nor am I sure there will be one.
^ Just to clarify...

v3.2.1 is not only used for the ad driven Kindle 3. My own Wifi, no-advertising K3 shipped with v3.2.1. FW installed.

<hoping for a jailbreak soon >
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
zhengxiang33
zhengxiang33 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I am hoping the jailbreak !
zhengxiang33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
jimh12345
Connoisseur

I actually don't want that boring 'authors' screensaver any more than I want the ads. I like the K3, use it a lot, and I want to put my own screensaver images on it. I also need wifi because I use Calibre to push some blogs and news feeds to the Kindle.

I won't feel at all guilty about jailbreaking it and skipping the ads. Amazon knows that many people who bought the $114 version will never look at the ads, much less buy the products, and you can be sure that Amazon makes a profit on the device even at $114 - and anyway, I also buy books.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got no problem with the ads. I understand if some do assuming they bought the KSO without understanding it has ads. But regardless, I prefer the ads over all those dead authors. Those were just creepy and depressing to look at! I would prefer my own device sleep image, as what we are calling screensavers really are not screensavers. But I purposely bought the KSO with full knowledge of the ads so I won't change them until I figure Amazon has gotten it's $25 worth of ads out of me.

@HatboxGhost, your method might work, though it will still not be the equivalent of a traditional K3. However, for me disabling WiFi also disables the feature that makes my KSO rock, Whispernet. I specifically bought a Kindle to have Whispernet because syncing between devices and platforms is extremely important, and no one does it as well as Amazon via Whispernet.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
HatboxGhost
HatboxGhost began at the beginning.

Yeah I wish I had a better solution. When I had the ads downloaded, I did manage to replace the ads with my own images, but that only worked once when I put the kindle in standby. After that it popped up the message about needing to connect to the internet to download the ads even though all of the folders were technically there. There must be some code that checks the created/modified date of the image files or something...it looked really cool that one time it worked though.

I'm honestly not much of a book reader. The only types of books I read regularly are reference books when I can't find an answer online (which is rare). I got this Kindle so that I could make a conscious effort to read more for entertainment. I've been using my DROID and that just hurts my eyes after a while (my DROID is a good example of getting something cheaper because it was outdated by the DROID 2).

I called the store to see if I could exchange this for the $139 version and they're all sold out of the $139 version now. Go figure.

Hopefully they'll allow me to pay to upgrade out of the ads via amazon, but I'll honestly only do that if they allow users to use their own images for the "screensaver". Otherwise, it's no different than how I'm using it now. I can't see myself really using whisperNet when I have my DROID available. Maybe if I really get into reading and start actually buying books. Right now I'm starting with the classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde...etc etc). The creepiness of the dead authors is actually more up my alley than Oil of Olay.
HatboxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
jimh12345
Connoisseur

Seriously, I'm now getting really, really tired of looking at pictures Oil of Olay. This is not what I thought the ad version would be like. I was expecting cool ads for trendy new products and services, not Buicks and VISA cards.

I just retired after 30 years in the computer/software business and the last thing I want now is a software project. But, if a jailbreak doesn't show up fairly soon, I may be forced into action. :-) I suspect though that it wouldn't be easy.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Seriously, I'm now getting really, really tired of looking at pictures Oil of Olay.
That's why I just read a book on the Kindle...

(Ok, snark-mode is off)

I tend to agree, with the sentiment. You'd think there'd be more Amazon-specific deals or offers or whatnot, not Oil of Olay, a credit card something or other, and a hotel ad.

But, at the same time, I agreed to have a kindle with ads on it. And it's up to Amazon what ads are pushed to the device. I don't find them TOO annoying, just not what I would expect.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, kindle 3.2.1