Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Have You Pre-ordered a Kindle 3?

My wife enjoys her Kindle2 I bought for her (at the previous US$259). I am thoroughly enjoying my Kobo ...

But right after I watched Jeff Bezos' interview with Charlie Rose last week and the announcement of the "Kindle3," I went to my computer and pre-ordered one.

Have YOU also pre-ordered a Kindle3? None of us have touched one. None of us have seen one in person. But they have my money. I don;t need a third eReader in the family. THAT'S the kind of "pull" Amazon has ... other vendors would kill for having such an effect on the consuming public.

SO - Have you ordered one? What made you do it? Mind waiting a month for a shipment?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I've had the Sony Reader "Pocket" edition for several months now, but was looking to upgrade to a 6" model. Just two days before they announced the K3, I had purchased and received a Sony Reader "Touch" edition...when shopping for readers, I had said to myself, "dang I wish they made a 6" reader with pearl screen, I'd jump on it in a second"...but alas, there were none. As soon as I saw the announcement for the k3, I RMA'd my sony and hopped on the Kindle bandwagon.

I had never owned a kindle in my life. Always thought they were a fantastic idea, but they were way too expensive. Even at $189, I still wasn't sold that I should get one, until I saw the K3 had the pearl screen, and the webkit-based browser. Those two things sold me on the 3G+wifi edition.

In the meantime, after I placed my pre-order, I sort of went into "kindlitis" mode, and, never having owned a kindle previously, I ended up buying a K2i for $100 (shipped!) on eBay. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if I hadn't happened across the auction with such a low BIN only about 20 minutes after it was listed, but I just got that in the mail today and I'm loving it far more than the Touch Edition that I had for a couple days. I even like it better than my Sony "Pocket" edition. At first I thought "wow, this is nice enough I can probably get away without upgrading to the K3" but then I decided that, no, I really do want the pearl screen, so as soon as I get my K3 in, I might do a side-by-side video review of some sort for my other forum, then probably re-sell my K2i. I got it for a cheap enough price, I'm sure I can get someone local to buy it on craigslist and at least break even.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In a heartbeat. I had my Kindle 2i for two weeks and when I saw the WiFi being $50 less it was a no-brainer. A sharper, smaller, more storage, better contrast, better ergonomy, and all for a $50 savings )since I've already paid), just couldn't pass on that one.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Yes I will in a couple days I like the more compact size of the new k3 and to have wifi will be a cool addition for mild emailing and surfing or for amazon books(cough cough star boinks) over att's so so 3g network, I really like the k2 it is a surprisingly/amazing better e reader over my libre pro it makes wish I bought it first oh well .... lol but I can return my late gen K2 to target and order the k3 from amazon. I'll have the best of both worlds the compact take every size of the Libra pro , with the superior reading experience of the K2 , now get with it amazon and allow simple folder organization and you have the perfect e reader.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yes I've pre-ordered one. I've always liked the idea of an ereader and kindles were the first dedicated devices I was aware of, but up until now I was always put off buying a kindle for these reasons :

• too big
•ugly design
• can't purchase from amazon uk
• books have to be purchased from amazon us
• books can only be purchased from Amazon

Reccently I bought a Sony PRS-300 and that satisfies my basic reading needs. However now that the kindle has Been
Launched on the UK with a UK store, with a slimer and nicer design at a great price. I've ordered one in a heartbeat. For this price it's well worth the additional features which my Sony doesn't have. It's met all my criteria (see above) and I'm no longer tied into one book shop because I have my Sony.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Yup definitely, I had always wanted a kindle since the 1st gen came out but affordability was an issue. Now that prices are more affordable, and sizes shrunk it has became possible for me to own my kindle I even contemplated getting one for my parents as they read alot after my own experience with the kindle 2.

As for the waiting time. I had a Kindle 2 for a short while right before the K3 was announced and I read 3.1/2 books on it and bloody loved it! I even managed to stop printing out class notes and making them into mobi files for kindle to use during class time. Mind you, I print up to 100 pages a week without the kindle, which I feel is such a waste of resource and money

I mainly sent it back because there were some cosmetic defect on my K2, plus I am kind of a sucker for new gadgets. It clicked in my head to return my K2 for a K3 when I saw the announcement about the perl screen and how compact it was. I was also sucked in by the book-light attached to the cover which K2 never had. At the moment I am missing the kindle 2 muchly and dearly hope that K3 would arrive around the 30-31st August.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Hey, this is as good a time as any to mention this random tidbit: not sure if this applies to UK, likely not, but for the US anyway, anybody with a .edu email address can get a free 1-year trial of Amazon Prime...lets you get free 2-day shipping on all items, and $3.99 overnight shipping, as well. Yup, I changed my K3 order to overnight shipping =)
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I pre-ordered one too. And I was a big Sony enthusiast, even to the point of buying a backup 505 in case my first one broke. The combination of price, features, and the new high-contrast screen was too much to resist.

Sorry Sony.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
i've ordered one to replace my flakey irex iliad.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
• books can only be purchased from Amazon
Not strictly true. Books without encryption/DRM can be bought elsewhere.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Not strictly true. Books without encryption/DRM can be bought elsewhere.
Where can you buy books without DRM
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Where can you buy books without DRM
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...rs_without_DRM. Also Swedish stores like bokus.se and possibly others. The swedish stores is borderline as they are not truly without DRM but they are often not encrypted.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...rs_without_DRM. Also Swedish stores like bokus.se and possibly others. The swedish stores is borderline as they are not truly without DRM but they are often not encrypted.
Thank you. You guys are so amazing
Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
phyros
phyros began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 - Kindle 3
Of course I 've pre-ordered a k3. I am in love of my sony 505 but we thought that we need fresh air in our relationship so K3 is perfect for a threesome
Seriously, I've chosen k3 for the following reasons:
- Dictionary (for a english learners like me is amazing)
- Text to speech (for the same reason)
- Notes
- Price
- 3g although I am not sure if in Spain I will browse freely I really hope so because I've paid $50 plus tax fees for a 3g model ....

I hope amazon not delay delivering k3 .......
phyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well I pre-ordered yesterday. Have been looking for a second ereader for a few months now, and was seriously looking at the new Hanlin V3+ (Astak or Eco Reader branded, but in the scheme of things they are rather expensive) as I have the 5" and love it. Then I looked at the Kobo and was damn close to buying one (was actually awaiting my tax return), then the new Kindle was announced. After doing some very in-depth comparisons of features each had to offer and what I wanted in a reader I opted for a Kindle (two big drawbacks of the Kobo is no TXT support, and that damn auto power off. E-ink does not need to be turned off after 15 min of inactivity and who knows when the next firmware update will be that fixes that).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote