Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
best ereader for Motorola Droid?

I just got a Motorola Droid phone, and I'm having loads of fun playing with it. I downloaded a sample of Scalzi's new book, Redshirts, on the Amazon app, and was pleased that reading on such a small screen isn't altogether painful. Trouble is, I rarely read books from Amazon. I intend to side-load books (in both epub and mobi formats) with calibre. Which ereader app should I get? I've heard good things about Stanza, but also that it won't be being updated or maintained anymore, so I'm hesitant to go with that one.

(any suggestions for other apps I should get? - no games, I don't tend to play games)

also... will Calibre know automatically where to load the books, and will the ereader app automatically find them? if not, how do I find out where the books are loaded, and tell the app?

(I'm really, really a neophyte with droids in specific and touch screens in general)

Thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
Calibre will find the phone. I use CoolReader and I really like it - I have read 2 books on my phone, and I keep a book of short essays on it. My eyes aren't young, and the screen is really too small to read comfortably, but I like the CoolReader interface.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Which ereader app should I get? I've heard good things about Stanza, but also that it won't be being updated or maintained anymore, so I'm hesitant to go with that one.
You wont be able to get Stanza as that's an iOS app, not Android. For Android ePub reading apps my favorite is Mantano. You can also look at Aldiko, BlueFire, Moon+, Coolreader, FBReader and there are others too.

Here's a list of reading apps I put together a while back, it's not complete but it's close...
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/a-catal...-reading-apps/

Here are some non-reading apps to check out (check the comments for other suggestions)...
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/must-ha...s-non-reading/

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-18-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I highly suggest Mantano Reader. It's what I use on my Android devices. The organization options for Mantano are excellent making it great for large libraries.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I really liked Aldiko, but haven't had my Droid for about 8 months, so I can't say for sure which is best today.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I really like Aldiko because I can set Calibre up in my catalogs to get my books wirelessly via the Calibre server and there is a separate app called Aldiko Sync that syncs my reading across my android devices (I also have a Samsung Galaxy phone) so that any books added to one device will be added to the others as well as have all of them sync to the last page read. Aldiko also allows you to check out library books from within the app and read them in the app instead of using Overdrive. You can read pretty much anything on it except Kindle ebooks.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Coolreader and FBReader are nice. Couldn't really go wrong with either of them.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
My favorite is Mantano; lets you customise everything including gestures, lots of fonts, all possible colors etc. so I ended up with a reader working exactly like I want it to. It also has dictionaries, text-to-speech etc.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
doonasmith
doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The eReader Prestigio one of the best ebook reader for motorola droid.
doonasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I have tried every ereader available for Android and settled on Mantano.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote