Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad and Kindle Fire
Embedding fonts for Kindles

I have tried embedding fonts using @font-face{ in the stylesheet, with the fonts placed in a fonts folder, and certain styles set to use these fonts. I have found this works consistently on the Ipad, and in Kindle Preview when set to Kindle fire (but not with the Kindle or Paper White setting).

I copied the files onto my basic Kindle 6" E Ink, and to my surprise the embedded fonts showed up. (I thought embedded fonts only worked with Kindle Fire). I then tried it with another ebook with the same stylesheet, and this time the fonts don't show up. I can't find any reason why the fonts should work with the one ebook and not with the other.

Does anyone have an idea why the embedded fonts could be appearing in the one case, and not in the other?
verydeepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
There are several possibilities. First, ignore the Kindle Previewer, it is totally broken in this regard.

The most likely reason that you aren't seeing embedded fonts is that the "Use Publisher Fonts" setting is turned off for those particular ebooks. For the eInk Kindles, that is the default setting and has to be changed for each book.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
verydeepwater
verydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterverydeepwater can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ockham View Post
There are several possibilities. First, ignore the Kindle Previewer, it is totally broken in this regard.

The most likely reason that you aren't seeing embedded fonts is that the "Use Publisher Fonts" setting is turned off for those particular ebooks. For the eInk Kindles, that is the default setting and has to be changed for each book.
That's done it. Amazing, you can't imagine the amount of time you have wasted on this. I had no idea you might have to change this setting for each book.
Thank you very much. I have one other question, is there somewhere a list or info on which versions of Kindle support embedded fonts and which don't?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@verydeepwater:

It's a KF8 feature, so that means:

K3: Since 3.4
K4: Since 4.1
KT: Since 5.1
PW: Since launch

Not sure about the *droids devices, but I'd say since launch for all of them.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
verydeepwater

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help, very useful.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Font embedding on the iPad is currenly broken

Just as an FYI, the latest version of the Kindle app for the iPad seems to have broken the display of publisher fonts. If the user chooses "Publisher Font", the book is displayed in Georgia. I assume this is a bug and will be fixed.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
pantera10684
Enthusiast
pantera10684 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@verydeepwater:

It's a KF8 feature, so that means:

K3: Since 3.4
K4: Since 4.1
KT: Since 5.1
PW: Since launch

Not sure about the *droids devices, but I'd say since launch for all of them.
When U convert word to az3 and select "embed font" feature in calibre, still not shows my custom font in kindle PW2
What should I do?
pantera10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera10684 View Post
When U convert word to az3 and select "embed font" feature in calibre, still not shows my custom font in kindle PW2
What should I do?
Is it a font with glyphs for non-Latin characters, for example, Devanagari, Tamil, Hebrew or Arabic?

If so, there's nothing that you can do about it, other than installing a font hack, because eInk Kindles don't support embedded fonts that replace glyphs covered by the code2000 Unicode fallback font.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote