Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
recommendations other than kindle/nook/sony

Hi gang,
I just bought a sony prs-600 and i'm happy with it. But as I use it, I can see that at some point I might consider a second reader that is non-touchscreen (so the constrast is better) and larger screen size (more than 6"), something I could use for textbook reference rather than portability/annotations (which the sony is fine for).

Also I'd want it to be cheap (under $225 maybe on ebay etc?).

This elmiinates the nook/kindle/sony. So which one would you recommend?

"the simple textbook reader":
-not kindle/nook/sony
-relatively cheap
-doesnt need fancy features, just a reader
-(non-touchscreen screen)
-over 6" screen preferred
-decent handling of pdfs preferred.

Is there anything out there among the lesser known makers that I should be looking at?

Last edited by ebooker; 11-12-2009 at 08:00 PM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
ebooker, I'm not aware of a 6" going for under $225.

The jetBook Lite is $149, the jetBook is $179 and the Astak Pocket Pro is $199. They are all 5".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
ebooker, I'm not aware of a 6" going for under $225.

The jetBook Lite is $149, the jetBook is $179 and the Astak Pocket Pro is $199. They are all 5".
thanks russell. Wishful thinking on my part I guess. Although I did see the kindle 1st generation being sold on craigslist for about $150 (6" screen, but a used model). I was hoping one of these ultra cheap ones might be bigger. I understand Asus' upcoming "eee reader" is going to be ultra cheap too (under $200 according to gizmodo I believe). I dont know the screen size though.

I'll check out the jetbooks, thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
I understand Asus' upcoming "eee reader" is going to be ultra cheap too (under $200 according to gizmodo I believe). I dont know the screen size though..
Perhaps... but, that will not be an eInk device. So, if you want to go that way there are several netbooks on the market that might tick your boxes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Amazon was selling a refurbished Kindle 1 for $149, but it's sold out now.
Maybe you'd like to wait for them to restock it?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps... but, that will not be an eInk device. So, if you want to go that way there are several netbooks on the market that might tick your boxes.

BOb
i didnt realize its not going to be e-ink. Thats a bummer!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
Hi gang,
I just bought a sony prs-600 and i'm happy with it. But as I use it, I can see that at some point I might consider a second reader that is non-touchscreen (so the constrast is better) and larger screen size (more than 6"), something I could use for textbook reference rather than portability/annotations (which the sony is fine for).

Also I'd want it to be cheap (under $225 maybe on ebay etc?).

This elmiinates the nook/kindle/sony. So which one would you recommend?

"the simple textbook reader":
-not kindle/nook/sony
-relatively cheap
-doesnt need fancy features, just a reader
-(non-touchscreen screen)
-over 6" screen preferred
-decent handling of pdfs preferred.

Is there anything out there among the lesser known makers that I should be looking at?
The problem is that once you get larger than 6", the device market changes focus. The prices are higher because those devices are simply higher end style devices.

I assume that you've already looked at iRex and rejected their devices based numerous issues, including price and the various random rants posted in the related forae, but you should be aware that iRex handles touchscreens differently than Sony,* which means that there is no contrast reduction in the iRex screens.

*In iRex machines, the touchscreen is beneath the e-ink screen, not on top of it.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
ebooker
Banned

thanks phishstyx, i'll take another look at irex. Ya, there were a lot of rants, lol. (also mixed reviews on amazon as well). I'll keep an eye on them anyway. Interesting that the touchscreen is underneath. If the sensitivity is not affected, seems to me thats the way to go.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
umm

If you don't have to have e-ink the EB1150 is on sale currently, and is very stable.

The Bookeen Opus, Cool-er or Pocketbook 360 are other possiblities.

Cool-er seems to have resolved most of its firmware issues at this point.

Have you checked your local Target to see if they have a PRS 505 on clearance sale?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Did you consider PocketBook? There's terrific review of PB360 at the home page.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Currently, you won't find any eink reader in a price you are willing to pay that will handle textbooks in an acceptable manor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
ebooker
Banned

thanks for the suggestions, I'm checking each of them out.

ya it looks like it will be a while before I can get something over 6" in that price range. Maybe in a couple of years.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
jerry Limonta
jerry Limonta began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Its a very personal choice in the end but you can learn more about 24 ereaders we highlight at www.ereaderuniverse.com
Drop by we'd love to have you
jerry Limonta is offline   Reply With Quote