Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Limit for SD and Memory Stick files?

This is purely an academic question.

The PRS-505 has those expansion ports for Memory Sticks and SD cards. I have an 8 GB SD card - if I were to somehow fill that up, that would be a whole lot of books. Is the PRS-505 capable of holding that many books?

If not, does anybody know how many can it handle? Or, is there a hard restriction on how big the memory cards can be?

It looks like it creates a DB file on the card when the card is inserted. I suppose that file could grow as big as it needed to be, though the device may become unmanagable if there were to many books on it.
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
When you have a large amount of books you need to take special steps to make it work, and indeed the startup time gets to be long when you have many books.

Check out https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30849 for more information.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Wow, OK - it sounds like I will want to keep the number of books on the device down to a managable number.
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaced View Post
Wow, OK - it sounds like I will want to keep the number of books on the device down to a managable number.
If I understood sealbeater's experience correctly... the problem is not the number of books, but how many new ones you add at a time.

If you keep adding a few dozen or a hundred books here and there, and make your way to 4000+ books, it should be fine. If you want to go from 0 to 4000 in less then a week, that's where it gets difficult.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote