Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Perdictions for the 2014 Kindle readers

I know there has been a lot of talk here about what we think the new 2014 Kindle readers will be like but I would like to add some information to the discussion. I have done some reading of literature from Intel and they are talking about the latest chips that they have put on the market, a fourth generation I7 micro-processors. From what I have heard the new Kindles will have longer battery life, as if they are not long enough as they are, and the new units will be physically smaller from front to back. The new readers will have much shorter, what is frequently called the hang time, in other words the amount of time it takes your reader from the time you tap on a book to the time the time the book is displayed on your screen.

Can anyone add any additional information?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kindles do NOT use Intel processors. Never have. Never will. Like all eInk devices, they use Freescale CPUs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
They do? Gee never knew that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CPUs like the Intel i7 family use far too much power for a handheld device such as the Kindle. The Freescale CPUs that Kindles (and most other eInk reader) use have extremely low power consumption.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery technology is improving daily. We can expect huge improvements in battery life with the new Kindles this Fall plus occupying much less space in the tablets. Most improvements are done behind the scenes and none will know of them until the new models are available for ordering probably in October.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Battery technology is improving daily. We can expect huge improvements in battery life with the new Kindles this Fall plus occupying much less space in the tablets. Most improvements are done behind the scenes and none will know of them until the new models are available for ordering probably in October.
I don't mean to be rude, but please don't start with the "huge improvements in battery life" thing again. It's not going to happen for the foreseeable future. The "3D batteries" that you're so keen on are in the laboratory and years away from any commercial application.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I predict my K3 will still be doing a brilliant job of letting me read eBooks every now and then.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Spot on with the battery life comments. There is plenty of research and future promise, but in the short term, as this article on smartphones suggest, apart from bigger batteries giving more capacity, there are no significant improvements that can really be made:

Peak Battery: Why Smartphone Battery Life Still Stinks, and Will for Years
Similar article in the Independent

Incidentally, what about the 2013 ereaders, never mind next year?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Incidentally, what about the 2013 ereaders, never mind next year?
Yeah, I think the OP meant 2013 (this year), since the latest Kindle (Paperwhite) came out in 2012.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Hopefully Amazon will greatly improve the PW screen light system or at least offer a comparable model without the light.

My guess is that Amazon will claim an improved screen, even if it is mostly marketing BS which Amazon is so good at (historically speaking). But since they have so much of the market share in the USA, if not the world, I really don't expect much in terms of real improvements or advancements in the eInk line of readers. There just isn't much competition to justify the R&D. So I suspect this will be a year of lackluster improvements or advancements. They will most likely put much more effort into the Fire line of tablets since that is where they have a huge amount of competition.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Predictions in the tech sector are hard enough.
"Perdictions" are almost impossible.
(Even with a fast processor.)
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KK, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
Predictions in the tech sector are hard enough.
"Perdictions" are almost impossible.
(Even with a fast processor.)
Thank you, I was so hoping somebody noticed that...

I am quite happy (and impressed) with my PW (I must be the only one) so can't see how things could improve a whole lot in the future... As far as battery life, I'm still working on a charge three weeks ago, and I read hours a day.

Interesting (argumentative) thread - great reading.
indiaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I love my PW, I really don't see how they could improve it, but it would be amazing if they did.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
celemark
Enthusiast
celemark doesn't littercelemark doesn't litter

Device: EBookwise-1150, PocketBook 360, Kindle 3 SO 3G, PocketBook Touch Lux 5
A plastic substrate, cure for the spontaneous "frozen screen" syndrome.
celemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What "frozen screen syndrome"? That's a new one on me.