Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Help - Installing 3rd party plugins under Windows 8

Having moved from XP to Windows 8 I am having a few problems as everything is so radically different.
I am trying to install [some third party plugins from a downloaded zip file], and have managed to download them, and to follow the "Extract All" option.
This is where I've come up short, being a pretty bad example of Tech Dunce Syndrome, to be brutally honest.

I can't get beyond "navigate to the unzipped files" [a doodle, even for me, on the old familiar XP] because I don't know what I should be doing to do so ....... The OS layout is so different.
I appreciate that certain ........... circumstances, may make it ... perhaps more suitable to use Private Messages to me regarding this topic.
( I hope this post is OK with Moderators, and am happy for guidelines if needed. )

I would be really grateful if anyone up to scratch with Win 8 and [third party plugins], would be willing to help me with an "Idiots Guide" to installation of [third party plugins] ?
I'm OK operating the thing, (I think/hope !)but this has me beat, sorry.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Generalised the title and request
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO remove the discussion on 'tools' and it's author, and you are good.

What you have is a problem installing 3rd party plugins that are not supported (hosted here at MR) by the built in manager on a W8 system
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've barely scratched Windows 7, let alone Windows 8. And it sounds as if you need more OS help than "tools" help.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've barely scratched Windows 7, let alone Windows 8. And it sounds as if you need more OS help than "tools" help.
........keerrect ....... !

I think another session with the tech boys lie ahead .... but if theducks is right, I'm banjaxxed anyway - as are all Win 8 users, unless a fix is possible.

I think ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have adjusted your request and the thread title to more closely reflect what it is I think you're really asking. Hopefully some Windows 8 savvy people will be along in a moment to discuss Windows 8 file selection dialogs in calibre.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@carpetmojo - are you taking advantage boards like this one - http://www.eightforums.com

Many people there will have been using W8 during its beta years - there are quite few tutorials on the basics.

And maybe get something like Windows 8 for Dummies on your Sony

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-05-2012 at 09:21 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've just installed W8 as a test and here is what I have (or am doing) to get these 3rd party add-ons to install.
  • Using IE downloaded Calibre (used defaults in IE), ensured I selected SAVE option
  • Installed calibre
  • Download 3rd party add-ons (used defaults in IE), ensured I selected SAVE option
  • Clicked "gear" symbol in IE and selected "View Downloads" (Ctrl J)
  • Clicked the "Open" button adjacent to the zip file downloaded
  • Screen now shows the contents of the zip file just downloaded
  • Drag the Calibre_Plugins entry to one of the locations shown on the left hand side of the screen; I selected Downloads listed under Favorites
  • In calibre, go to Preferences | Plugins | Load plugin from file
  • In the directory selection box displayed, click on the same location as you extracted the directory to (so in my case Downloads listed under Favorites and then double-click on Calibre_Plugins to open that folder
  • Finally select which plugin you want to install
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote