Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Wermesz
Wermesz began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
Story HD Mod: SHD Exec

Hi,

Warning: This mod works fine for me, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk! (frostschutz template)

To use this mod you need to have the Webportal Mod first (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169741).

Story HD Execution - this mod can be used to execute scripts/apps that are stored in the internal memory of the device or on the sd card.
Warning: The scripts/apps are being run as root so be careful when running your own scripts/apps and read the warnings for the included ones because one mistake can brick your device!!!

Two programs are included:

Story HD Synchronization - the script is using wget to synchronize local folders with remote ones. It checks the local folder for files that do not longer exist in the remote one and deletes them. After that it downloads the files from remote folder to the local folder. A local file will be updated if the remote one is never. The script uses its owm cross compiled wget binary (busybox wget is very poor). The script can be configured to synchronize several folders and is capable of synchronizing them recursively. The example configuration synchronizes two ftp folders from gnu (not much data can be used as a check). In order to put your own configuration you have to edit the script (should be improved in next versions) and create the local folder.
Warning: The script deletes the files and directories from the local directory that do not exist in the remote directory so be really careful while selecting it (for example if you put / as the local directory the script will permanently delete your system and the device will be bricked)!!!

Story HD Telenetd Control - the script is used to start and stop the telenetd daemon on the device
Warning: After connecting to the device you are logged as root so be careful!!!

The programs that can be run are not harcoded. What should be run is being parsed from GET and POST arrays provided by the webbrowser so if you want to execute your own app you do not need to install a mod anymore. Everything you need to do is put you app into the internal memory or on the sd card and modify the webportal.html file. From my side it would be nice if someone would manage to integrate an email client to the Story HD

In order to install the mod and attached scripts you need to:
1. Download the storyeb07-shd_exec_v1.zip and unpack it
2. Rename the unpacked file to storyeb07.hex
3. Copy it to the internal memory of your Story HD device
4. Download the shd_exec_base_dir_v1.1.zip file
5. Unpack it to the internal memory of your Story HD device or the sd card
6. Add the following lines to webportal.html
If you want to run from internal memory
Code:
<div style="border-style: solid;">
  <div style="font-weight: bold;">SHD Exec</div>
    SHD Sync&nbsp;&nbsp;<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?MOVIFAT&shd_sync&shd_sync.sh">Start</a><br>
    SHD Telnetd Ctrl&nbsp;&nbsp;
	<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?MOVIFAT&shd_telnetd_ctrl&shd_telnetd_ctrl.sh&start">Start</a>&nbsp;
	<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?MOVIFAT&shd_telnetd_ctrl&shd_telnetd_ctrl.sh&stop">Stop</a><br>
  </div><br>
If you want to run from the sd card
Code:
<div style="border-style: solid;">
  <div style="font-weight: bold;">SHD Exec</div>
    SHD Sync&nbsp;&nbsp;<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?SDFAT&shd_sync&shd_sync.sh">Start</a><br>
    SHD Telnetd Ctrl&nbsp;&nbsp;
	<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?SDFAT&shd_telnetd_ctrl&shd_telnetd_ctrl.sh&start">Start</a>&nbsp;
	<a style="text-decoration: none;" href="cgi-bin/shd_exec?SDFAT&shd_telnetd_ctrl&shd_telnetd_ctrl.sh&stop">Stop</a><br>
  </div><br>
7. Unmount from the computer

Special thanks to frostschutz!

Br,
Wermesz
Attached Files
File Type: zip storyeb07-shd_exec_v1.zip (589 Bytes, 568 views)
File Type: zip shd_exec_base_dir_v1.1.zip (434.2 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by Wermesz; 06-10-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Wermesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for your mod. Will you make another file that uninstalls it also? (People kept asking for that for my mods).

You have a couple of extra spaces in your step 6, try using code tags instead of quote tags for that, it should work better.

People who write their own shell scripts or use the shell should be aware that they run as root, there's no safety measures in place anywhere, so it's easy to brick the device and no way to undo...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Wermesz
Wermesz began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD
Hi frostschutz,
thanks for the advices. I will add the warnings and undo mod this week.

Br,
Wermesz
Wermesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Rugg
Rugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toys

Device: Iriver Story HD
I'm really interested in the email client integration

I've looked for elm/Alpine/Mutt, very slim. But they should be compiled for Iriver processor. isn't true?

I've read Iriver Story have an integrated email reader, do you think possible toask for an inclusion in next Iriver Story HD upgrade?
Rugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use WebPortal mod and then the webmail interface of your mail provider, if they have one.

As for mutt and others, so far to my knowledge no one has found a way to communicate with the display directly, so it's not possible to install custom programs - unless they talk to the webbrowser as a local cgi script (like my Notes mod).
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Rugg
Rugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toysRugg shares his or her toys

Device: Iriver Story HD
webmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You can use WebPortal mod and then the webmail interface of your mail provider, if they have one.
Yes, it's really a good idea. maybe I can manage to open a connection to the mobile version of gmail. The standard version is a bit too much for the Iriver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
As for mutt and others, so far to my knowledge no one has found a way to communicate with the display directly, so it's not possible to install custom programs - unless they talk to the webbrowser as a local cgi script (like my Notes mod).
Pity...

Thank you very much.
Rugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
k0hler
k0hler began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Do anyone heared about VNC server for Story HD or another way of using Story HD as a compuyer screen?
k0hler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

The only way I can think of is to run a web server on your computer, which serves a screen shot with auto refresh (meta refresh or javascript), and then open that web site with the iriver.

Unless someone with more programming experience finds out how to talk directly to the display on the iriver...
Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
k0hler
k0hler began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Thank you very much. I'll try this. Thank you also for the WebPortal mod. Now I feel like like with the new piece of hardware.
k0hler is offline   Reply With Quote