Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Sony connect ebook that Kindle doesn't have

I was shocked to find an eBook at the Sony connect store that wasn't at Amazon.com Kindle. I only went to Amazon.com because Sony ebook wanted $17.50 30% off the $25 ebook price.

Amazon.com had it for $11 in print, but not in Kindle.

Deep Economy
ebook ISN: 1429903899
Bill McKibben

In the past I've noticed that Amazon.com has more ebooks than Connect not less. Now if only they would lower there prices.

NEVER MIND Deep Economy is on Amazon.com Kindle (just under a different title) so it didn't show up on the main page.

Today I got it as a recommendation...
(same price as Sony)

Last edited by jckatz; 01-10-2008 at 11:10 AM.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason yoy see the pBook on Amazon at a lower price then the eBook is that it is the not yet released paperback edition. And at $11 it is that horrible taller thinner "let's make it this was so we can make more money) edition. And the paperback won't be out till March 08, 2008. So if you want it now, you'll have to purchase the eBook. Plus be thankful you don't have a Gen3. It's even more expensive in Mobipocket format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Schrodingers Dog
Often confused.
Schrodingers Dog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm going to piggyback on this thread because I have a similar problem. Yesterday I received my Kindle. Today I found that one of my favorite authors (Tom Holt) is not available on Kindle from Amazon. I did find some of his stuff at ebookmall but it is available only in Adobe or Microsoft ebook format.

I've tried to figure out all the stuff here about format conversions but frankly I'm lost. Can anyone tell me if I can get this book onto my Kindle and if so, what is the easiest way?

Thanks,

-SD

ps: I just realized that this post is in the Sony forum. My apologies if that is a huge mistake and if it is, would a Mod. please move it where it belongs?

Thanks.

Last edited by Schrodingers Dog; 07-16-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum maybe.
Schrodingers Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodingers Dog View Post
I'm going to piggyback on this thread because I have a similar problem. Yesterday I received my Kindle. Today I found that one of my favorite authors (Tom Holt) is not available on Kindle from Amazon. I did find some of his stuff at ebookmall but it is available only in Adobe or Microsoft ebook format.
There is a "not legal" way to do it but since it looks like he only has 3 of 38 titles available as ebooks, you might just want to write the publisher and ask them what their ebook plans are.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Schrodingers Dog
Often confused.

Thanks daffy, I will take your advice and write the publisher.

In the meantime, in two weeks I'm going out of the country on an extended vacation and would really like to read two of those three books.

Where, hypothetically speaking (of course), would you suggest someone such as myself go to read more about the theory of converting these formats?
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is forbidden to speak of such things on these forums. Might I suggest you get acquainted with some "new to you" authors while on your trip. There is a lot to read right in the Kindle store but many other sites offer books in a format friendly to Kindle. If you can't find something you like on Amazon, try fictionwise.com, baen.com, feedbooks.com, tor.com and our own MobileRead (there are many more).
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodingers Dog View Post
Where, hypothetically speaking (of course), would you suggest someone such as myself go to read more about the theory of converting these formats?
Buy the LIT (MS Reader) version, use ConvertLIT to strip the DRM and then convert it to MOBI. If you are comfortable with the Windows command line, use convertLIT and then lit2mobi (Part of MobiPerl). Otherwise get the GUI add-on to ConvertLIT, "explode" the e-book to OEB (HTML, IMAGES, and metadata in a .opf file), and convert it to MOBI via MobiPocket Creator (give it the .opf file). One source of more info is .lit conversion question, although it is for Sony.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Well, so much for "forbidden".
Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #9
Schrodingers Dog
Often confused.

Thanks all.

With your help I have successfully completed my "research".

Tags
duck!