Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
I remember some patches that removed the tty reliance of X11.

My Kindle 4 also has a /etc/init.d/framework startx, I found that just before coming across this thread. Magic.
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
@hawhill... I am struggling to get x2x configured right to do some driving?

me@dev ~ $ x2x -font "6x13" -geometry 600x800 -from :0.0 -to k:0 -nopointermap
Quote:
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
was wondering if I was missing something obvious. I'll keep trying obviously. thanks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #33
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hm, I did as follows: 1. Connected via USB networking, used SSH port forwarding:
host$ ssh -L6001:127.0.0.1:6000 root@192.168.2.2
(port 6001 is display :1 for X11/TCP)

On the Kindle, the framework should probably be stopped
k3$ /etc/init.d/framework stop

And an update loop wouldn't hurt, I guess
k3$ while sleep 3; do echo 1 > /proc/einkfb/update_eink; done
(/proc path might be wrong, didn't check)

Then I started the X server on the Kindle
k3$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./Xfbdev

Then on the host I started applications and x2x:
host$ DISPLAY=:1 firefox &
host$ x2x -to :1 &

And that's about it. I didn't use any other features from x2x, and I did not install any fonts on the K3 (which means only fonts using the RENDER/Xft extension work, but that's enough for testing, but will break "simple" X11 apps).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #34
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post

host$ ssh -L6001:127.0.0.1:6000 root@k
(port 6001 is display :1 for X11/TCP)

On the Kindle, the framework should probably be stopped
k3$ /etc/init.d/framework stop

And an update loop wouldn't hurt, I guess
k3$ while sleep 3; do echo 1 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display ; done

Then I started the X server on the Kindle
k3$ Xfbdev

Then on the host I started applications and x2x:
host$ DISPLAY=:1 firefox &
host$ x2x -to :1 &
much obliged. I missed the port forwarding duh.

Last edited by twobob; 10-28-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it should have worked via TCP connection to the host, too - but I gave it one try and it didn't work right out of the box, so rather than messing with that I decided to do it "as usual" and forward the port.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
hawhill
Wizard

I mentioned the problems with nibble ordering for framebuffer output. I played a bit and what I've found is that a combination of Xvfb and x11vnc (both built with the buildroot environment) plus kindlevncviewer does a resonably good job. It's a bit awkward to use three programs in the place of one X server, but x11vnc does a good job recognizing changed parts of the screen and kindlevncviewer knows about eink updates. Together, they provide a nice bundle. Memory footprint is about ~20MByte RSS.

I did not explore this further, but x11vnc has options to start an Xvfb server automatically upon vnc client connection.

I was still using this with SSH-forwarded X11 applications (and even a window manager) from the USB host machine. It would be interesting to see if the K3 could be switched over to a Debian-ARM-based userland, running Xvnc (I think Debian has this, would probably work better than Xvfb+x11vnc) plus kindlevncviewer for the graphical UI.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I mentioned the problems with nibble ordering for framebuffer output. I played a bit and what I've found is that a combination of Xvfb and x11vnc (both built with the buildroot environment) plus kindlevncviewer does a resonably good job. It's a bit awkward to use three programs in the place of one X server, but x11vnc does a good job recognizing changed parts of the screen and kindlevncviewer knows about eink updates. Together, they provide a nice bundle. Memory footprint is about ~20MByte RSS.

I did not explore this further, but x11vnc has options to start an Xvfb server automatically upon vnc client connection.

I was still using this with SSH-forwarded X11 applications (and even a window manager) from the USB host machine. It would be interesting to see if the K3 could be switched over to a Debian-ARM-based userland, running Xvnc (I think Debian has this, would probably work better than Xvfb+x11vnc) plus kindlevncviewer for the graphical UI.

not so cumbersome I don't want to badly
will try this right now. Appreciate all your help. I owe you a beer
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #38
twobob

hmm. x11vnc keeps shutting down when I try to attach xtightvnc to it.

Quote:
29/10/2012 10:14:31 Pixel format for client 192.168.1.65:
29/10/2012 10:14:31 32 bpp, depth 24, little endian
29/10/2012 10:14:31 true colour: max r 255 g 255 b 255, shift r 16 g 8 b 0
29/10/2012 10:14:31 rfbSetTranslateFunction: server bits per pixel not 8, 16 or 32 (is 4)
29/10/2012 10:14:31 client_count: 0
29/10/2012 10:14:31 Restored X server key autorepeat to: 1
29/10/2012 10:14:31 viewer exited.
will read more docs. again.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #39
hawhill
Wizard

Oh, I don't think that Xfbdev and x11vnc will play together - the error message is clear in that regard.

I was talking about using Xvfb (virtual framebuffer, pure RAM-based X server) plus x11vnc:

Kindle eink display <-> kindlevncviewer <-> x11vnc <-> Xvfb <-> X11 applications

I used "-encoding copyrect" for kindlevncviewer and "-screen 0 600x800x16" for Xvfb. No special parameters for x11vnc, except pointing it to Xvfb's X11 display address.

It messed up when I tried Xvfb with 8bpp depth, but I didn't investigate.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #40
twobob

ah. good info lol

(I was trying to do a 4bpp -rawfb but yes, it doesn't work )
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #41
twobob

Had blackbox WM running very nicely

lots of fun
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #42
twobob

Word to the wise:

After a few good hours of struggling with bug@ http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...fonts+dir.html in Xvfb

simply rebuilding the Xfontslib fixed the issue.
phew
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #43
twobob

whilst I still haven't got the keyboard input working I dig manage to get the output back on the screen as you describe with no nibble errors via the 3 way linkup.

very nice actually. with just a little bit more work from the community this could be a solid little version of X. I actually think it does a very decent job. all things considered.

I didn't even stop the framework just to see how it would perform under load and abusive operation. ico happily shoved around the screen with surprising speed.

need a few more heavy duty apps x-compiled now for the 3. give it a real test. but yeah. great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_303.png
Views:	256
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	95176  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
twobob

Okay so I got the keyboard input working. via the PC.

next up would be either implementing it via OTG USB or getting the onboard device working (preferable)

but seriously? This is genuine fun!

If you had said that my kindle 3 would be monitoring this screen in realtime and running blackbox WM with a smattering of X apps this time 3 months ago... well... I wouldn't have believed you.

Brilliant progress here. just got factor the PC out of the loop to get a genuinely shocking result.

: ) Thanks Hawhill. superstar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_305.png
Views:	285
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	95201  
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #45
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Brilliant progress here. just got factor the PC out of the loop to get a genuinely shocking result. ...
To get a "genuinely shocking result", you need to replace the PC with a neon sign transformer.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8bpp, kindle3, startx, x server, xorg