Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
If I only sideload do I ever need to sync or use library

I have new Glo HD coming but I only plan to sideload books into it. Do i need to fool with desktop library or sync?

I also will get books from Overdrive public library. Will I need to sync or use library for them as well?

Thanks --
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are only sideloading, you do not need to use the desktop application. And the only reason to do a sync is to update the firmware.

For Overdrive books, you will need to authorise the device with ADE and use it to do the sideloading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I have new Glo HD coming but I only plan to sideload books into it. Do i need to fool with desktop library or sync?
Do you mean the Kobo Desktop application, or do you mean organising your books in an application on your desktop (or laptop) computer?

The Kobo app is unnecessary, but I strongly recommend the latter, organising your books using Calibre. As well as being able to fix metadata, convert formats, and have your books organised and backed up, it has the huge advantage of being able to manage your Kobo collections. There are also ways to do things like pull annotations off your device or load a kepub instead of epub, if you're inclined towards such things.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I am definitely planning on using Calibre but it sounds like I don't ever really need to sync or use the Kobo desktop application.

I assume I can manually update firmware using USB connection; correct?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post

I assume I can manually update firmware using USB connection; correct?
This is correct--I have never installed or used the Kobo desktop and have never synced my Kobo Aura HD--that isaside from the initial setup and registration. I initially connected through wi-fi to register my reader, and I'm pretty sure it updated to the latest firmware at the time (was a couple of years ago so memory is a little hazy). But, after that I've never connected through wi-fi again--side loading all my books through Calibre and updating firmware via USB.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I prefer to sideload my books. I find the kepub engine to be slower than the epub reader.

I don't really see the advantages to using kepub which is what Kobo books are if they are downloaded from their server to the ereader.

I sideload using Dropbox via the Glo HD browser. I don't use Calibre to send books.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't really see the advantages to using kepub which is what Kobo books are if they are downloaded from their server to the ereader.
I believe that kepub alleviates the extreme difficulty of selecting small hyperlinks (eg for footnotes) that exists (or at least did when I had my H2O) with ePub books. With my H2O, nine times out of 10, when I tried to tap on a footnote hyperlink the page would turn instead. Apparently with kepub the "tap area" for a small hyperlink is larger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I prefer to sideload my books. I find the kepub engine to be slower than the epub reader.

I sideload using Dropbox via the Glo HD browser. I don't use Calibre to send books.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
i have a Aura 6" a Mini and a Touch, kepub page turns much faster on all 3 devices compared to epub.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Larla
Addict

Thanks all --

I've seen posts by Blossom and others about how great many of the patches are. Is this a safe operation? What is the best way to apply these patches?

PS -- Harry - just what mile are you on?
Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that kepub alleviates the extreme difficulty of selecting small hyperlinks (eg for footnotes) that exists (or at least did when I had my H2O) with ePub books. With my H2O, nine times out of 10, when I tried to tap on a footnote hyperlink the page would turn instead. Apparently with kepub the "tap area" for a small hyperlink is larger.
Yes, if the book has lots of links, then kepub is the better format. The other advantages are:
  • Footnotes displayed in popup.
  • Zoom on images.
  • In book statistics. The chapter chart is almost enough to make me convert.
  • Choice between per chapter and whole book page numbering.
  • Highlighting works a little better.
  • Overall a little faster
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, if the book has lots of links, then kepub is the better format. The other advantages are:
  • Footnotes displayed in popup.
  • Zoom on images.
  • In book statistics. The chapter chart is almost enough to make me convert.
  • Choice between per chapter and whole book page numbering.
  • Highlighting works a little better.
  • Overall a little faster
Thank you for that summary. Can Calibre convert to kepub? The whole clicking on footnotes and being able to zoom images is enough to make me want to convert.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Thank you for that summary. Can Calibre convert to kepub? The whole clicking on footnotes and being able to zoom images is enough to make me want to convert.
Yes, in two different ways. The KoboTouchExtended driver will convert on the fly when sending a book to the device. The kepub version is not saved in the library. There is also a Kepub Output plugin for converting and keeping a copy in the library. This can be sent using the main KoboTouch driver.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The KoboTouchExtended driver will convert on the fly when sending a book to the device. The kepub version is not saved in the library.
This is how I sideload all of my books and it works seamlessly/painlessly.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One reason to sync is to obtain the spelling dictionaries
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One reason to sync is to obtain the spelling dictionaries
What is it???
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote