Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
betavita
betavita began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone
library sync between 3 machines

Hi
I just started using calibre. I have around 60 books on various subjects. I have three different machines which have calibre installed. I used to use freefilesync to sync each device with portable drive and then sycning with other machines.

Is there a way to create catalog on one machine and sync with other machines. i noticed that there is metadata file in calibre book folder machine on each machine. is it ok if i sync that as well?
what information that metadat file store. it is just books under that directory or something else also?

Thanks
betavita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The metadata.db file in each library is critical. It contains all the metadata about books and also which folders the books are in. It is tightly bound to the book folders/files for a given library and if the two get out of sync you will start getting strange results.

The main calibre GUI is driven by the contents of the metadata.db file so this is what determines what books are shown and what metadata is shown for the books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
betavita

Thanks for reply.

I have done following

1. create library on 1st machine.
2. sync with freefilesync for first time on 2nd machine and 3rd machine to create same folder/file structure o those machine.
3. If i add a new file on any machine then i sync to my other machines making sure that new metadata.db get copied across

it is working fine for me. is it right approach?

thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Why not use calibre poirtable on a USB drive?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
betavita

With portable I'll have only one copy with me, my library size is around 7.5G and I have only 4G USBs around. What happens if I forget my USB at home or work?
That is the reason I want to keep copy on each machine and just sync when I add new book or change metadata.
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
8GB drives starting at $8:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=8GB

Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
betavita

I just bought 500GB USB drive. No point in buying 8GB as library will keep growing. I also installed portable apps on that. so now I have my pc in my pocket.