Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #16
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I have new Glo HD coming but I only plan to sideload books into it. Do i need to fool with desktop library or sync?

I also will get books from Overdrive public library. Will I need to sync or use library for them as well?

Thanks --
I have an Aura HD and I never used the Kobo desktop thing. My last sync occurred on November 2013 when I figured out that new Kobo firmwares almost always come with regressions. Actually the only software I use to sideload is the file explorer :-)
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 AM   #17
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I always use sideloading with Calibre on Kobo Aura H2O.

Copying kepubs using the extended kobo driver was taking very long time and offset the extra features of kepubs.

While reading, I usually find errors in the downloaded books and they take the pleasure out of reading and I can not go further. So I usually fire-up Sigil to correct the errors and replace in H2O. For kepubs this involves extra steps in reconverting to epub, editing and then converting back to kepubs before copying back to the device.

Hence I stick to epub format for all my books.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I use the desktop app when I want to initially register a device, or if I need to log out and log back in. I prefer doing that to connecting it to my wifi network.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One reason to sync is to obtain the spelling dictionaries
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
What is it???
I believe PeterT is saying if you ever use the built in dictionaries or cross language dictionaries, you will need to sync to get them.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe PeterT is saying if you ever use the built in dictionaries or cross language dictionaries, you will need to sync to get them.
Do you mean that the Kobo dictionaries are only downloaded from Kobo's servers to the reader during the sync process? It's the same on the Kindle: there are no dictionaries on a newly-registered Kindle - you choose your dictionary language, and the appropriate dictionary is then downloaded from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean that the Kobo dictionaries are only downloaded from Kobo's servers to the reader during the sync process? It's the same on the Kindle: there are no dictionaries on a newly-registered Kindle - you choose your dictionary language, and the appropriate dictionary is then downloaded from Amazon.
I think so. I once added French to English, and I seem to recall I had to resync.

I just tried adding another language (portugese) and it asked if I wanted to connect to wifi (I declined). I'm not sure if a full sync is necessary?

My appoligies to PeterT if I am misrepresenting what he posted.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I think so. I once added French to English, and I seem to recall I had to resync.

I just tried adding another language (portugese) and it asked if I wanted to connect to wifi (I declined). I'm not sure if a full sync is necessary?
It would make sense that such would be the case. Dictionaries are big; it would waste a lot of space pre-loading a bunch of dictionaries that the user is never going to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry for being so terse in my original post but yes, as far as I know, dictionaries are not preloaded on the device but are synced after the user has selected which dictionaries they desire.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sorry for being so terse in my original post but yes, as far as I know, dictionaries are not preloaded on the device but are synced after the user has selected which dictionaries they desire.
If you have net access, the dictionaries are downloaded when you select them and press the save button. That's outside the sync. If they can't be downloaded at that time, or Kobo update the dictionaries, they will be downloaded during a sync. So, you can manage the dictionaries without doing a sync.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #25
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Yes I am definitely planning on using Calibre but it sounds like I don't ever really need to sync or use the Kobo desktop application.

I assume I can manually update firmware using USB connection; correct?
My epub collection is 100% public domain and/or DRM-free, and I've never used the Kobo desktop software. Actually, being a Linux user, the desktop software isn't even an option for me. I use Calibre to organize my library and load it onto my Aura. I use syncing solely for updating the firmware, although more often than not I do it manually.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't really see the advantages to using kepub...
It depends on the book. For instance, I have an ESV Study Bible which has thousands of embedded links throughout, and it's a chore to navigate as an epub because it's so slow, and tapping on the small icons indicating endnotes is much more difficult with the epub rendering engine, not to mention the fiddly way it deals with endnotes which often don't open reliably even if you manage to successfully tap the small indicator. When I converted it to a kepub, I found that opening and navigation was significantly faster as was accessing endnotes which are easier to tap, which open as a convenient pop-up, and if you open the full endnote, it's super easy to return to where you were. For general reading, epub is fine (actually, I prefer it), but for specialized books with a lot of links, kepub has its advantages.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 07-04-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Thanks I only use my Kobo for fiction with no footnotes. So it's epub for me. My nonfiction is on my tablet. A 6" screen is too small for them.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #28
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks I only use my Kobo for fiction with no footnotes. So it's epub for me. My nonfiction is on my tablet. A 6" screen is too small for them.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom--I use my Kobo for fiction with no footnotes--same as you. But I find that I prefer the Kepub format over the ePub format on the Kobo--mostly for the in-book statistics. I really like being able to access the estimated remaining reading time for the current chapter, next chapter, and book--and I also find the graph is available in kepubs that shows the length of each chapter to be useful.

You might want to try the kePub format on a couple of books and see what you think.

Caveat--it's been awhile since I've loaded an actual ePub on my Kobo, but I believe the header and footer display differently--with the kepub using more space to show the title of the book.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #29
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

On a related note, what is the reason that Kobo doesn't simply use the same render engine for both epub and kepub? Is it an attempt to make kepub (and therefore the online bookstore) more attractive?
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #30
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
On a related note, what is the reason that Kobo doesn't simply use the same render engine for both epub and kepub?
Because it's inherently different software, I guess...

Devices that support Adobe DRM basically always use the Adobe engine to render epub/pdf.

You need kepub for EPUB3 features, and Japanese... Adobe has no support for those things.

And pray we won't be riddled with Adobe's new ebook DRM... which they announced last year or so?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote