Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Reader with 11 inch screen - Will you bite?

The forecast by E-ink that we'll soon have 11 and 12 inch screens is intriguing. How many of you would buy one? How many devices are too many?

If its affordable, I'd be interested. It would not be as portable as the current readers but I really want a way to comfortably read pdfs which are formatted for Letter paper (8 1/2 x 11). Assuming the 11 inch models keep the thin form factor and can retain the battery life, I'd upgrade. Carrying a slim slate would be preferable to separate 500 page technical manuals, magazines, etc.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
More screen to refresh means more battery usage per page for the same battery. What I would like is a user replaceable battery so we can get spares in case if we want. But remember, an 11inch screen is going to make it a lot larger and not as easy to drop in a purse or carry bag.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
More screen to refresh means more battery usage per page for the same battery.
But there would be fewer page turns.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Eventually I want a bigger screen reading device so that I can read full page (tech) books better (even if in landscape half-page mode). But I think prices are too high for me right now to want that sort of screen on a dedicated device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If a 6" screen device is $300, I would guess that an 11" screen device might be about $600. And that's for a non-touch screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd bite, assuming it had some sort of stylus input -- I want a way for my wife to grade papers electronically. Battery life of 20 hours or so would be plenty for that purpose, perhaps less if it could run in tethered mode (plugged into the wall).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Even though I have an iLiad, I still read a good deal of stuff from my Palm TX. The iLiad has a better screen, etc. But the Palm is still more convenient simply because it's small and much easier to carry.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a 6" screen device is $300, I would guess that an 11" screen device might be about $600. And that's for a non-touch screen.
I don't know the process, but that's about 3-4 times the area, and probably 3-4 more 'bad pixels.'

I don't know the error rate, but I'd expect it to cost 3-4 times as much, I'm afraid, if not more.

Ralph
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #9
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Great idea, but why not A4 size rather than letter?

Clearly not aimed at the "light/novel reading" market, but I would get one, if the prices was decent (sub 500USD), for reading larger PDF content stuff that I have.
Regards from a sunny Spain, Andi
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilarney View Post
But there would be fewer page turns.
And space for a bigger battery, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
Great idea, but why not A4 size rather than letter?
They're close enough that I suspect it wouldn't matter to me either way.

An A4 display should show a Letter sized page just fine, I'd guess that the opposite is true too ... maybe go with whichever is cheaper to manufacture?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
What is described is basically an eink tablet computer isn't it?
I could go for that! But more towards a colo(u)r, 1/2pound, Iliad sized eink, full speed processing, flash based computer type. It would be more portable and I think that is where the market will point soon.
I'm not asking for much am I?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
ktb1381
Enthusiast
ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ktb1381 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I would for sure love this. Would be good for many folks with low vision.
ktb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Not me. I had a little laptop with a 10 inch screen which was great, and did use it for reading books (holding in portrait mode). It was fine, but even that was not as handy as the size of my old Rocket eBook or the Reader.

My PDA is too small, so all-in-all, I think the Reader size is just perfect for both reading and portability.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Not me. I had a little laptop with a 10 inch screen which was great, and did use it for reading books (holding in portrait mode). It was fine, but even that was not as handy as the size of my old Rocket eBook or the Reader.

My PDA is too small, so all-in-all, I think the Reader size is just perfect for both reading and portability.
The Iliad's size is about 8" which makes it quite portable, I'd like it a little thinner and lighter... and colo(u)r.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote