Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #3646
Aweberman
Aweberman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (keyboard)
I'm trying to get the screen saver hack working on my Kindle 3 (keyboard, wi-fi, firmware 3.4.2). Here's what I've done so far:

- Installed and successfully (I think) updated the device using this file:

Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_k3w_install.bin

- Unsuccessfully updated the screen saver update using this file:

Update_ss_0.47.N_k2_dx_k3_install.bin

I have been able to successfully select "Update your Kindle" from the Menu within Settings (i.e., it has not been greyed out), but when actually processing the update, I receive the screen that tells me "The update was not successful. Your Kindle is restarting..." There is a code that reads U002 in the lower lefthand corner. (I ejected the device and unplugged it from the computer before attempting the update.)

I attempted the process a second time after the device finished restarting. Then, following a suggestion from earlier in this thread, I rebooted the device myself, then attempted the screen saver update for a third time; still no dice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, since I'm tired of seeing Mark Twain's mug (and that definition of "kindle").
Aweberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #3647
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Aweberman: The snapshot packages are only installable through MRPI. Use the latest releases from this very thread if you can't/won't use MRPI .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #3648
Aweberman

Success!

I installed MKK, then KUAL, then MRPI, then the screen saver hack, and it is working. It was more steps than I realized, but it wasn't hard.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM   #3649
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aweberman View Post
Success!

I installed MKK, then KUAL, then MRPI, then the screen saver hack, and it is working. It was more steps than I realized, but it wasn't hard.

Thanks!
Often seen on the 'net are rating systems in terms of from one to five starts . . . . (hold that thought)

Perhaps there is a way that these add-ins could be rated (one to five) on their approach to Instant Gratification.
I.E: IG
There are now several generations that will have things no other way.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #3650
Aweberman

Though I feel like I have the hacks up and running correctly (as noted two posts up), I'm still not getting the current cover to appear as the screen saver. I have rebooted several times, even following this exchange from a few months back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCaringi View Post

The kindle show my customs ScreenSaver,

But I want to show me the cover of the last book I opened.

I tried 2 things:
1. creating the "cover" file in "linkss" folder (didnt work)
2. via KUAL
2.1 open Helper+
2.2 Select "ALLOW ScreenSaver" (a check mark is showed)
2.3 Head to "Screen Saver" Menu
2.4 select "COVER MODE BEHAVIOR" and select "White Borders"

<snip>
...but all I continue to see is the "hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover" splash screen.
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #3651
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Aweberman: You need to install Python for cover mode to work.

(And you need to restart the framework/device for it to the when toggling cover mode).
Old 05-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #3652
Aweberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Aweberman: You need to install Python for cover mode to work.

(And you need to restart the framework/device for it to the when toggling cover mode).
Ah yes. In my list above of the things I've already installed, I neglected to include Python--but that is also installed. I have also rebooted it a number of times, including once from within KUAL, through the "Screen Savers > Restart framework now" option.

Just now I enabled the "verbose mode" option, restarted the framework, and opened a book, which prompted this message: "S W failed to process cover."

Last edited by Aweberman; 05-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #3653
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What size is the book?
What format?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #3654
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Also make sure the date/time is sane on your device.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #3655
Aweberman

Quote:
Also make sure the date/time is sane on your device.
I saw that in one of the instruction posts (or maybe in the read me file) and confirmed that on the initial install ... though I don't see a place to set the date, only the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What size is the book?
What format?
The size of the current book I'm reading is 4.2 megabytes. It was obtained through Amazon's Kindle store.

The other books I tried were mostly purchased from Amazon, though not quite so large. One of them was an older book in PRC format (1.1 MB).

Edit: I have also tried dropping an image (downloaded from a Reddit thread on the topic) into the "linkss/screensavers" folder on the Kindle, as the first post in this thread directs. After a reboot, this is also not showing up when I put the device to sleep; in fact, the "currently in 'cover' mode" message is still there.

I feel quite certain I'm missing something obvious here, but after reading through the instructions multiple times, I'm at a loss as to what that might be.

Last edited by Aweberman; 05-04-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #3656
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Aweberman: Completely normal that the usual cycle of images won't show up in cover mode, they're mutually exclusive .

As for what's wrong with cover mode, guess the only way left to figure things out is for you to send me some system logs .
Soon after a book switch, enter ;dm in the Homescreen's searchbar, and PM me the "all_system_logs" file that'll dump in documents/ .
Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 AM   #3657
Localhorst86
Localhorst86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hello,

I installed the screensavers hack on my Kindle 4NT yesterday and wanted to try the cover mode. However, it did not work so I enabled verbose mode and every time I open a book i get the error Message "S W failed to process cover".

My ebooks are almost exclusively .mobi format without drm converted and managed with calibre with the exception of dictionaries and a single book from amazons lending library. But all of them fail with the error message.

random screensaver mode actually works just fine, it's just the cover mode that fails. I entered ;dm in the search bar, can I PM the all_system_logs file to you, NiLuJe?

EDIT: Forget all of the above, I was missing python. It works now.

Last edited by Localhorst86; 05-19-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Localhorst86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #3658
didoto
Enthusiast
didoto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Hi,

I would appreciate your help with my Kindle 2 International D00701.
I recently updated to version 2.5.8 to be able to use the 3G.
Now I try to jailbreak it, but I keep receiving the message "Update was not successful..."
Do you know if there is a way to jailbreak it and apply the font hack under firmware 2.5.8?
Or could I roll the firmware back to a version that is supported by the jailbreak and the font hack?

I will be grateful for any advice!

Thanks!
didoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #3659
knc1
Going Viral

The jail break is compatible.

You most likely have an earlier jb that you need to uninstall first.
or
You had Doukan installed at some time in the past.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #3660
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@didoto:
Quote:
Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. It should be quick. (And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen).

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet