Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #3631
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Right, forgot that you were running 3.4.x. You'll have to repack the uninstaller with KindleTool to get them to run.

The error on reboot is expected, that' snot how these should be run.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #3632
alilou85
alilou85 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g (b00a)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@alilou85: is this perchance a second-hand device?

Because a U007 error usually implies that the device is already (half) jailbroken...
Yes it is second hand device as my wifi screen broke so was cheaper to buy another
alilou85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #3633
Rimplot
Rimplot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@NiLuJe: Thank you for you help, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I successfully managed to get rid of the installed jailbreak using the repacked uninstaller. When installing the jailbreak version 0.13 at first I got an error message of U007, but after a restart and another try it created the folders (second time I didn't catch whether it displayed any error message).

Then I tried to install usertts, but it didn't recognize the install file and the update button stayed grayed out. I thought that maybe it wasn't really jailbroken, but the custom screensaver hack installed successfully. After that I tried to install usertts with a repacked installer. The installation finished without problem, but the problem, why I wanted to install it, still persist – if I press the Text-to-Speech 'turn on' button, the rotating progress indicator appears in the top left corner and keeps rotating while the device is frozen. I can't do anything, can't return to the home page, can't enter the menu. Just the hard power switch restart helps.

What can I do with the not working text-to-speech function and why is that I can't install some hacks with their original installer and I have to repack them? (e.g. usertts) I couldn't install launchpad neither, and I couldn't even repack it because its file structure is more complicated.
Rimplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #3634
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No idea about usertts, but the repacking is completely normal. The old packager wasn't counting on those build revisions ever getting so high.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #3635
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
Random Reboot

Ok, so I've got the screensaver hack working on my Kindle 3 and my Kindle Paperwhite. I really do love the work they've done with this so far. I have it set up with plenty of pics and they shuffle through randomly, so far so good, I love it.

I'm wondering if there is any way to cause a random reboot while the kindle is off. Even if it's not really random, say reboot the Kindle every 90 minutes? So yea, I was thinking of leaving a kindle sitting out and using it like a digital eink picture frame. Every time I look at it, it'd have a different picture. Basically, I could accomplish what I want by flickering the power button every once in a while. If I could do it on the paperwhite, I'd be curious to see how long the battery life would last if the light was left on at say a 2 or 3. I'm guessing the keyboard, in airplane mode, randomly rebooting every 90 minutes would last months on a single charge.

I have tried searching for this, but I can't find it as a listed feature or even a topic of discussion. Does anyone know if this particular thought has been addressed already?
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #3636
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
check for a thread about using the Kindle for a weather station display.
I think that is the thread where getting a sleeping Kindle to wake up at fixed intervals was addressed.

= = = =

There is a hardware wake-up thingy used by Amazon to check for fresh ads at regular intervals, and I think the above re-purposed that "feature".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #3637
Antoron
Antoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Bookerly

Where I can download a new Bookerly font for pw2 on 5.4.5.1 ?
Antoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #3638
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoron View Post
Where I can download a new Bookerly font for pw2 on 5.4.5.1 ?
From Amazon, of course.

Get one of the PW2 update packages from Amazon -
Which you can open using KindleTool to get at the contained files.

Since the fonts are inside a cramfs image file -
You will find the work to be done a lot easier on a Linux system (larger and with more resources than the one on a Kindle).
Old 04-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #3639
asdfffdsa
asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: not sharing
At work now so I don't have my kindle with me. I'd like to use the free 3G on my Kindle 3 but there are also a lot of jailbreak features that I want. Do I need to install the new kindle update in order to continue using the 3G via the device's web browser? From what I've read in this thread, I should (1) uninstall the jailbreak from the device (2) install the latest update released by amazon, and then (3) install the jailbreak again. Is this correct?
asdfffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #3640
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfffdsa View Post
At work now so I don't have my kindle with me. I'd like to use the free 3G on my Kindle 3 but there are also a lot of jailbreak features that I want. Do I need to install the new kindle update in order to continue using the 3G via the device's web browser? From what I've read in this thread, I should (1) uninstall the jailbreak from the device (2) install the latest update released by amazon, and then (3) install the jailbreak again. Is this correct?
That might depend on what model Kindle you have.

Use this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
to discover it 'nickname' as used here.

We don't know a device model: "not sharing".

Having been a member here nearly five years, you ....
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #3641
asdfffdsa
asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: not sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That might depend on what model Kindle you have.

Use this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
to discover it 'nickname' as used here.

We don't know a device model: "not sharing".

Having been a member here nearly five years, you ....
The serial number prefix is B006 so the "Kindle 3 3G + WiFi (U.S. and Canada)" / "K3" / "K3G"

Last edited by asdfffdsa; 04-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.
asdfffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #3642
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfffdsa View Post
The serial number prefix is B006 so the "Kindle 3 3G + WiFi (U.S. and Canada)" / "K3" / "K3G"
You should be able to install the Amazon update with everything in-place.

But it would not hurt to un-install what you have before applying the Amazon update.
Although more time consuming, it would give you the chance to re-install the most recent release of everything.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #3643
aasl
aasl began at the beginning.

Device: K3g
I upgraded my kindle keyboard 3G firmware to official 3.4.2, and I found I could not use the jailbreak. After copying the bin to the root folder, and the "update your kindle " is still grayed out. What should I do to enable the jailbreak?
aasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #3644
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasl View Post
I upgraded my kindle keyboard 3G firmware to official 3.4.2, and I found I could not use the jailbreak. After copying the bin to the root folder, and the "update your kindle " is still grayed out. What should I do to enable the jailbreak?
The update packages are 'model locked'.
The update packages are not 'firmware version' locked.

There are two possibilities in the case of a K3:

1) You are not using the correct package for your model of Kindle.

2) The package you are using is suffering from a bug in the package generator that was used.
I.E: You are using a correct package for your model but one that has not been re-packaged with the newer (or newest) KindleTool.

You do not give any information on the jail break package version you are trying to use, nor where you got it, so . . . .

Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

And report back.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #3645
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Hi all. Just discovered this forum and thanks for all the hacks, finally got around to hacking my Kindle Keyboard 3G running 3.4.2 firmware.

I installed the font hack but have no idea how to select a new font for reading.

Or revert the font back to Keyboard's default.

And would I be able to add Bookerly (I'm not sure if that came with fw 3.4.2)

Can someone help me out please?

[EDIT: Think I figured it out. In the linkfont/font folder I renamed the font I want to use, Bookerly_*.ttf to Serif_*.ttf. Don't know if I'm wrong but it feels like the Kindle Keyboard's resolution might be too low to maximize the effect of the new font.]

Last edited by vurt; 04-17-2016 at 10:10 PM.
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet