Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Under the Dome released. We're now officially e-screwed.

I'm a serious reader, and lover of fiction.

I bought a Sony Reader almost 2 years ago and bought a total of 70 books through the Sony Ebookstore. I got the DX 2 months ago and bought 9 books.

I love buying eBooks and reading them on the DX.

I'm also a big Stephen King fan. But, as I said from a previous post in this forum, I cannot fathom why the ebook version of Under the Dome would be delayed over a month. I read that for The Lost Symbol, 5% of the amazon sales were for the Kindle edition.

But enough rambling.

If, in theory, I wanted to personally protest this stupid delay of the ebook, and get a "pirated" version that can be read on a Kindle, where would I go/look? As someone who has only bought legit ebooks, and will continue to buy non-King ebooks, I don't know where to look. I thought I would ask here first.

Any help would be appreciated.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Yep. It really sucks. I won't be buying this one, that's for sure. I really liked his last couple, too.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
As to your question, I'd help you if I could but I really don't know besides those sites that the news always mentions. Sorry. I wouldn't expect much help here.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
If, in theory, I wanted to personally protest this stupid delay of the ebook, and get a "pirated" version that can be read on a Kindle, where would I go/look? As someone who has only bought legit ebooks, and will continue to buy non-King ebooks, I don't know where to look. I thought I would ask here first.
This type of discussion isn't allowed here as far as I know.

That said, the only way a pirated copy of Under The Dome will turn up before the ebook release is if somebody scans and OCRs the entire hardback. It will take some serious time (I've experimented with other books and a 213 page book took me about 5 hours straight to scan with a flatbed scanner and to fix some of the formatting before sending it to my Kindle. And that's a rough copy without proofreading which would require a readthrough) and I would be surprised to see it before the December 24th belated digital release.

You would be better off just checking out a copy from your local library. You may have to carry around a big old hardback instead of your Kindle but you would also be sticking it to the man...legally.

- edit Also, taking all of Stephen King's ebooks because of what is happening with Under The Dome isn't right. He's been a pretty big supporter of new ideas with Riding The Bullet/The Plant/UR (which makes me think this latest idea was planted in his head by his publisher) and not only are they continuing to release more of his backlog digitally, they are releasing them at a very modest price ($6.39-$8 each)

Last edited by Sporadic; 11-10-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
FligMupple
Enthusiast

I don't do hardcovers anymore. I invested over $1000 on ebook readers. (The original Sony Reader PRS 505, the replacement one after I dropped it and totally broke it, and the DX).

Until Under the Dome I've been loving every minute of it. If someone can explain the reasoning of delaying the ebook 6-7 weeks, I'd love to hear it. The explanation must include why you also do not make available the ebook version at full book price for dedicated ebook nutters like me, and Stephen King fans, who would make use of that option.
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
if you check out some of the related threads (try News and Commentary as well), it is apparently King's desire to support the independent bookseller. this isn't a Kindle issue at all
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Quote:
I don't do hardcovers anymore. I invested over $1000 on ebook readers. (The original Sony Reader PRS 505, the replacement one after I dropped it and totally broke it, and the DX).

Until Under the Dome I've been loving every minute of it. If someone can explain the reasoning of delaying the ebook 6-7 weeks, I'd love to hear it. The explanation must include why you also do not make available the ebook version at full book price for dedicated ebook nutters like me, and Stephen King fans, who would make use of that option.
There's pretty much three reasons why the publishers are doing this.

1) They are scared crapless about this whole digital thing possibly eating their lucrative hardback sales. This isn't the first major book to get a staggered release.

2) To fluff their hardback sales. They don't want you to buy a digital copy regardless of price...that is until after their initial release frenzy. And it's working. I can't tell you how posts I have read about on the internet where people are disappointed by the Kindle delay but are going to buy a hardback copy since Wal-Mart/Amazon are only selling it for $9 new.

Also, this is suppose to be Stephen King's big comeback. People are comparing it to The Stand and saying that he's finally back. If the book industry is anything like the music industry, digital copies don't count towards the official bestsellers list numbers and I imagine the publisher wants the highest number of hardback sales possible. 1 million copies sold sounds much better than 900,000 copies sold along with 100,000 digital copies.

3) Potentially getting the book back in the news if the Kindle version still sales alot of copies. If it sales alot they can push what a sales juggernaut this is, cultural moment and blah blah blah, basically getting it back in the public view during the holiday season...when people will have giftcards they want to spend. If it doesn't pan out that way, oh well. They can just point to how there is still a massive demand for hardback paper books and that this digital thing has no legs. Win-win situation for them either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if you check out some of the related threads (try News and Commentary as well), it is apparently King's desire to support the independent bookseller. this isn't a Kindle issue at all
That's funny considering that Wal-Mart and Amazon are basically snuffing them out by selling Under The Dome at a loss the independent bookstore can't match.

Last edited by Sporadic; 11-10-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
With amazon and walmart selling the book for $9, the independent booksellers are screwed anyway with this book, regardless of any dinky 5% ebook market.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
FligMupple
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
2)... They don't want you to buy a digital copy regardless of price...that is until after their initial release frenzy...
Who are "they"?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Who are "they"?
The publishers. In this case, Simon & Schuster.

(also re-read my last post, I edited it)
Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:

1 month is nothing compared to The Gathering Storm, the hardback is out, the eBook is scheduled for November 2010!!!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
2) To fluff their hardback sales. They don't want you to buy a digital copy regardless of price...that is until after their initial release frenzy. And it's working. I can't tell you how posts I have read about on the internet where people are disappointed by the Kindle delay but are going to buy a hardback copy since Wal-Mart/Amazon are only selling it for $9 new.
I guess I am learning patience or re-kearning stubborness. that plus being a TOTAL e-book convert. I can't imagine struggling with a hardback again. I'll wait
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
While I abhor King's decision, I still pre-bought the ebook version from Amazon for $9.

I will not be buying the hardback version.

I don't need to read the book the second its released. Perhaps if paper book sales aren't up to expectations, the publishers/king will get the message.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Under the Dome: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
# Format: Kindle Edition
# File Size: 6 KB
# Print Length: 1088 pages
# Publisher: Scribner (December 24, 2009)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
# Language: English
# ASIN: B002UFUMDI

6 KB for 1066 pages!
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The hard cover is now $17.50!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote