Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
philipdk
philipdk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook not in list

i am looking at purchasing a ebook reader and am looking at several different models, but all the ones i am looking at are not in the calibre list.

can calibre be manually set to send and convert books to your ebook reader, i know the readers can read pdf, epub and others, so can i set it to convert to one of these if calibre dosnt know what to convert it to.

many thanks
philipdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Yes, no problem. The default calibre profile works for most devices. If you tell us what models you're looking into we might be able to tell you even more.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Philip. Device info would be handy. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
philipdk

dont know

i dont know the brands but here are the 3 ebay links

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Google-Androi...item3cb2356f31

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-Google-Andr...item1c17c45a3d

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-inch-EReade...item20b5c6cf7c

many thanks again, and response is very fast
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
philipdk

one other

here is also one i am looking at but at the moment it is at the bottom of the list

MiGear BSTE100 eBook
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Philipdk,

I know you didn't ask for any advice here, but if you are interested and you share why you are getting your reader, I'm sure you will get lot's of opinions to help you out.

The devices you posted look interesting , but I'm not sure that they contain the right combination of features for me. Of course, as I said your specific uses will be different than mine. However, if I was considering buying them, my biggest questions wold be in 1) the maturity of the software/interface, and 2) the hardware quality (especially of the screen).

Unfortunately, these are the hardest things to judge over an online page.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
philipdk

reader

there are several reasons,
the main reason is i am doing a course next year for the next 2 - 3 years and
alot of the info i can download is in pdf format and thought i have a laptop an reader's battery and portability is much better.

i am also hoping that the reader will have android on it as i am a diabetic and
have found a good program to monitor by blood sugar on the reader.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The readers with great battery life are, generally, dedicated ereader devices that do not allow you to add in other applications. The devices that do let you load applications, like the one to track your blood sugar, are likely to be tablets that also have ebook applications. They do not have the battery life of dedicated eInk readers. The new Nook is somewhat of a hybrid in that it is primarily an android OS reader that functions like a tablet. It does not have access to Android Market, at this point, at least not without some effort.

Many people feel that PDF is a somewhat kludgy format on most smallish ebook readers. I think you may want to do a bit more research before making a purchase.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
philipdk

one ebook reader i am looking at uses a android OS and have been told it will run most android software