Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Copyright laws make my head hurt. In reading through it all, it's mentioned in many places that this is for works published on or after 1978. So what does that mean for books published prior to that time, is it still under the 50 years after the author's death in that case? I know the book was published in 1942, Macardle died in 1958 (which is why I originally thought it was in the public domain, also ran across a podcast of the book stating the same).

Edit: I found my own answer from http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
Quote:
Date of Publication:
From 1 March 1989 through 2002

Conditions:
Created before 1978 and first published in this period

Copyright Term:
The greater of the term specified in the previous entry or 31 December 2047*
*The previous entry dealt with books after 1977 so pretty sure it doesn't apply, at least hopeful that it doesn't apply.

While I'm all for supporting author's works, under these terms it might be pretty difficult to keep such older works that aren't considered true classics available for anyone to read. Ebook format gives us such a great opportunity to be able to preserve all books for future generations, but my fear is we'll end up losing a lot of these older books before they can be made available.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I love "The Uninvited."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I recently scanned a library copy of "The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle, which the 1944 movie with Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey and Gail Russel is based on. The basic plot is the same between the movie and book, but the book has many more characters than the movie, so it's definitely worth the read even if you've seen the movie. I thought it would be out of copyright, but now that it's 70 years, I'm pretty sure it's not. Otherwise I'd upload it here.
dandelioncottage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Copyright laws make my head hurt. In reading through it all, it's mentioned in many places that this is for works published on or after 1978. So what does that mean for books published prior to that time, is it still under the 50 years after the author's death in that case? I know the book was published in 1942, Macardle died in 1958 (which is why I originally thought it was in the public domain, also ran across a podcast of the book stating the same).
Mobileread's servers are also in Canada so you should be OK to upload it, given that information.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I had no idea that it was a book! I know it only as a movie and TV show.
I enjoyed both.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Mobileread's servers are also in Canada so you should be OK to upload it, given that information.
I'd love to upload it here and make it available if that's really the case. I seem to recall asking once before though and was told no, so I want to be sure I wouldn't be violating any rules here.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
I recently scanned a library copy of "The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle, which the 1944 movie with Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey and Gail Russel is based on. The basic plot is the same between the movie and book, but the book has many more characters than the movie, so it's definitely worth the read even if you've seen the movie. I thought it would be out of copyright, but now that it's 70 years, I'm pretty sure it's not. Otherwise I'd upload it here.

But the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" is another favorite old movie, and I might be tempted to scan it at some point and wait for copyrights to run out. I think it's unlikely that any of these older books along these lines will ever be made into ebooks unless fans do it themselves.

Edit: Unlikely unless I find a paperback or cheap hardcover of it, my library doesn't even have the book.
You might be able to find a copy (at least to read) via interlibrary loan. Won't be out of copyright even in life+50 countries til 2029.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news--this will be released as an ebook in September:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Mrs-Muir...+and+mrs.+muir

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Has anyone here come across "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" as an ebook? It's by R.A. Dick (a pen name of Josephine Leslie 1898-1979) and I have yet to find any trace of an ebook edition anywhere.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Huh. One of my wife's favorite movies. I had no idea it was based on a book.
I thought I was doing well to know the sitcom was based on a movie. :-)
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Good news--this will be released as an ebook in September:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Mrs-Muir...+and+mrs.+muir
Thanks for the heads up dandelioncottage. I've put a copy on pre-order.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Just some 23 days to go til the book is available now. Amazon US
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #26
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

I can't wait! And my cats are waiting for this one: .

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Mrs-Mewe...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Just some 23 days to go til the book is available now. Amazon US
Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

It's out for purchase now. Just inside the cover are the words:
Quote:
"Vintage Movie Classics spotlights classic films that have stood the test of time, now rediscovered through the publication of the novels on which they were based."
So it sounds like we might look forward to other great novels of the past that were made into movies being released as ebooks.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #28
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I bought it yesterday.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I bought it yesterday.
I hope you enjoy it. I read it once yrs ago when I borrowed it from the public library.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
I bought it yesterday.
Ben, let us know what you think of it.

The blurb on Amazon's webpage suggests to me that it is chicklit, which I wouldn't be interested in.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote