Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Given that it is an established company and they have preorders on their website as well, it is not surprising, but they said that they guarantee that everyone who pledges to the indiegogo campaign will receive the perks they signed up for. This campaign is so that they could accomodate a larger production run, but the production will happen regardless.
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I like it. And I don't care at all about the lack of high resolution, after all it's for reading. And I keep wondering... how much are you reading if you need more than 1 GB space.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #18
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
I like it. And I don't care at all about the lack of high resolution, after all it's for reading. And I keep wondering... how much are you reading if you need more than 1 GB space.
I keep wondering why other people object to users having more space.

There are so many reasons to need a lot of space for books - reading a lot, books with high quality covers, graphic novels and comics, wanting to be able to read whatever book you want. If you want limited space fine, but there's no need to be snippy about other people having different priorities.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #19
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
This is an eink Android device, not a plain ereader, so much more than 1 gb is needed to install apps.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Icarus Illumina XL comes with 8GB internal storage.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I keep wondering why other people object to users having more space.

There are so many reasons to need a lot of space for books - reading a lot, books with high quality covers, graphic novels and comics, wanting to be able to read whatever book you want. If you want limited space fine, but there's no need to be snippy about other people having different priorities.
PDFs can be huge, yes. It wouldn't take long for 300MB PDFs to fill even the 8GB in the Illumina XL.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #22
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
What does the low resolution actually mean? Will icons be bigger? Will it display as much on a screen as a 6inch device with the same resolution?
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #23
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
What does the low resolution actually mean? Will icons be bigger? Will it display as much on a screen as a 6inch device with the same resolution?
I think what matters for size of icons is what they set the dpi to, not the resolution. If they make the icons too big with low resolution, it will look pretty bad.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #24
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

How does this compare to other 8" 1024x768 Eink ereaders, fool example: Cybook Ocean | BOOKEEN

and also is there a larger sized version later on? See 3rd device at pic below

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-13-2015 at 05:13 PM.
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:41 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Onyx would cost me £180 without a cover. That's a lot more than the £120.48 the Illumina is costing me with a cover (and, granted, with an early bird discount).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I will be able to compare with my PW3 when mine arrives, although my guess is that I won't be seeing it until January 2016 at the earliest. (The Indigogo says shipping in mid-December. I think they're being unrealistic.)
I see that they now say there's been a slight delay, but they still expect to get early bird orders to people in time for Christmas.

And there are still 50 of the EarlyBird with cover places left, so that £120.48 looks like a price anyone can get if they want to take the risk of a pre-order before reviews.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The latest update is that the first batch is shipping from the factory on Monday 14th December, and they still expect to get Indigogo backers' units to them before Christmas.

I suspect that they'll miss that target, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I too backed this project. I was impressed by the openness of the organisers in answering questions and revealing details about the product (though a video would have been good). That said, I also suspect they will miss the pre-Christmas delivery target.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #28
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

So they are shipping tomorrow to all who live in Europe, and let's say another day or two to all of their overseas backers, with Fedex international shipping it is 2-5 days, seems quite doable so far.

That said, if they do miss the pre-Christmas window, I will be quite disappointed, since I will be traveling until mid-January, and I very much want to take a new and shiny ereader on the trip with me.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
So they are shipping tomorrow to all who live in Europe.
Umm... no. I see I was unclear. Today there should be a shipment from the factory to the company in Europe. They then have to pack and dispatch the individual orders.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #30
iatheia
Zealot

Well, they shipped, due to arrive Dec 24. Demo video is out as well

Can't say I am very excited about how the screen looks, but hoping that it looks better in person.