Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
Unhappy Why do "LCD e-Book reading devices" keep coming

There are more and more announcements for (color) LCD displays (last one from samsung today), but I really don't understand it . Sure, I'd like to have a 12" high-res color E-Ink display for reading magazines and comics - but LCD? I can't read on LCD . I don't want to read on LCD. I don't know anybody personal who is able to read a book for example on an iPad. But if everybody stops developing the expensive color e-ink and takes cheap LCD panels will we ever see a big lightweight portable device for reading - real reading not surfing or watching videos or something like that. we do have devices for such kind of entertainment so what is the sense in making the same thing but from a different approach? or are there not enough people who would buy color e-ink readers with large displays (i don't think a 6" color screen makes much sense - what would you read on it?). can anybody help me understand? are you able to read a book up to 8 hours on lcd without problems? would you buy a 10" or 12" "color kindle"?
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I don't think I've read 8 hours straight ever. On paper, eInk, or LCD. But I have read for a few hours on my iPad with no problems-and before that, on my iPhone. And way before that, on my Rocket eBook. All LCD.

And why would you think development has stopped on color eInk devices? The technology is still being worked on-it obviously isn't a trivial problem to get it right. Lots of research being done on new screen technologies...I highly doubt everyone ends up on LCD.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Well ... yes; currently do most (all) of my reading is on either a 19" PC monitor, or a 4.3" cell phone.

I read on my PC when I'm at home, and on my phone when I'm not. I have recently discovered the joy of K4PC and Kindle for Android's ability to sync with each other so no more word searches to keep them synced up.

I also have a Sony 505, and my wife has a K2, can't abide with the abysmal refresh rate of either device. And I charge the battery on my cell phone every night, so that's not an issue either.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Not everybody has the eyestrain problems from backlit screens that many do. I recently purchased a used 7 inch Android tablet specifically for the times when I do want a backlit reader. I don't use it all the time, I have an e-ink reader that I still like, and in fact plan on getting a K3 and passing my current reader on to my mother. There are times, however, when I do appreciate the backlit screen, and I've never had eyestrain problems from reading on it.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
It is because lots of people don't understand that eInk is easier on the eyes. All they see is side-by-side features:
  • Color vs. B&W
  • Can read in the dark w/o an additional light
  • Cheaper, for the feature set

I think a lot of us read all day on LCDs or CRTs, which are essentially light sources. This creates a lot of eye strain over a period of hours and hours. It's like looking at a dim light bulb for hours at a time.

Don't worry, they'll wise up some day.

For reading, I don't think color eInk is necessarily an advantage. I'm not anxiously awaiting it. It is going to come with a big price hike too, I'm sure.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I also have a Sony 505, and my wife has a K2, can't abide with the abysmal refresh rate of either device.
1/2 second is too long to wait for a new page full of text? You must be a fast reader indeed.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
eInk being easier on the eyes, eye strain, etc. are all subjective things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
It is because lots of people don't understand that eInk is easier on the eyes. All they see is side-by-side features:
  • Color vs. B&W
  • Can read in the dark w/o an additional light
  • Cheaper, for the feature set

I think a lot of us read all day on LCDs or CRTs, which are essentially light sources. This creates a lot of eye strain over a period of hours and hours. It's like looking at a dim light bulb for hours at a time.

I have had 5 eink readers (3 of which are still in working order) and yet I currently am using the color LCD Augen TB, and more often the LCD color Pandigital Novel. So "not understanding the difference" is not the issue.

I experience no eyestrain with back-lit LCD devices (I started reading ebooks on a Palm device, and then the LCD Bookwise 1150) I have found I just prefer having a back-lit screen. The Sony 700 was a nice compromise with it's side lit eink screen, but the battery performance has degraded since I purchased it.

As others have said, the issue of eyestrain with LCD screens is a very subjective matter, not a universal need to "wise up".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
It is because lots of people don't understand that eInk is easier on the eyes.

lol, some of us have a lot of experience with both types of displays.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
1/2 second is too long to wait for a new page full of text? You must be a fast reader indeed.
It's not the time delay, it's the flashing black then back to the page that I find a distraction. I also have a JetBook with a monochrome LCD that doesn't do that, which I very much prefer to the eInk screens. I use my phone when I'm out and about because of the portability, I always have my phone with me.

But then, to each his own. I was just responding to the OP's statement that
Quote:
I can't read on LCD . I don't want to read on LCD.
I can and do, and that's after sitting in front of a monitor all day at work.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I stare at my laptop for almost scary amounts of time, but when I used the iPad for an hour and a half I could feel some amounts of strain in my eyes. My eyes were feeling droopy all of a sudden.
I'm not taking any potshots at the iPad but with it, my hands were itching to ditch the K4iPad app and go online. And so I was like, "What the heck, I'll do it later." Never thought like that with the Kindle. (I liked GodFinger on the iPad though).

I think we just need to give the eink some time. Mirasol where are you?
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I've read 39 novels on my iPad. I used to have a Kindle 2. Used to....
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
LCD fatigue seems to be one of those things that are not universal. My eyes get tired pretty quickly when I'm trying to read on an LCD, but on the K2 I can read for hours with no strain. I wish my eyes were "compatible" with LCD's because a color reader with quick page turns might be nice. I'm holding out hope for the Pixel Qi screens
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't have eye problems, so LCD reads fine to me. I regularly read 10-12 hours a day. I edit for a living, on screen, and read online for leisure as well. (Haven't watched TV in years.) I started editing when screens were amber, and started reading Gutenberg on computer years ago. I prefer backlit to e-ink. I set backlighting on low on all computers and take care of my eyes -- regular exams, limited exposure to direct sunlight and such.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
I'd like to have a 12" high-res color E-Ink display for reading magazines and comics - but LCD? I can't read on LCD . I don't want to read on LCD. I don't know anybody personal who is able to read a book for example on an iPad. .... can anybody help me understand? are you able to read a book up to 8 hours on lcd without problems? would you buy a 10" or 12" "color kindle"?
I read for two years on a 320x320 pixel Clie; I switched to a Sony because the batteries were dying and I was having other hardware issues. I *loved* the hand-held LCD color screen; the only problem I had with it was battery life. If I could get a reading device the size of an iPhone with a 20 hour battery, I'd give up on e-ink entirely. (I had a Jetbook briefly. The screen broke, & warranty didn't cover that. I decided against replacing it; too fragile.)

I don't get much in the way of eyestrain from LCD screens; I can work on a computer for 14 hours straight with no problems. I'm not interested in a large-screen reading device; I want something that fits in my purse & that I can comfortably read one-handed while standing on the train.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote