Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Did you jump from the May OpenInkpot to the 1 October snapshot? If that that is what you did then there will be nothing after /mnt/storage because the entire file system was reformatted, as was mentioned in the first post of this thread. So, if you went from the May OpenInkpot to the October OpenInkpot you will have to recreate your private file system in /mnt/storage.
Yes I did go from May to Oct.

I was confused because I have other sub directories after /mnt/storage where as I didn't before so I wasn't sure which subdirectory to put the books in.

Thanks.
PKFFW
Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #17
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
this is a very nice interface and the menus look great. But I can not at this time use it because I read a lot of tech pdfs and they just do not look right in OIP.

Chuck
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I just don't like seeing the clock when I am reading and when I am not reading I have my watch to check the time. It's not really important to be able to turn it off as it is only a small annoyance to me, which is far out weighed by all the good stuff in OI, but it would be nice if it was an option.

Cheers,
PKFFW
I'd like to second this request, but for another reason. Every time I close down (or install the latest snapshot) the date and clock will have gone back to January 1 and I have to reset it (or skip it) when rebooting. By the way, which button on my BeBook do I press for "C" -- which is the clock skipping option? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
By the way, which button on my BeBook do I press for "C" -- which is the clock skipping option? Thanks.
The curved back arrow( ↶ ) beside the OK button.

FWIW, I like the new clock stuff.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #20
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
For books with OI you just put them on the SD or into /mnt/storage anywhere in there will work iirc.
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
fanoush
fanoush began at the beginning.

Device: V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
V3 "live" version does not work yet on this snapshot. Sorry.
is there tracker item for this?

I hope when it gets fixed it won't format my internal storage to jffs2.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
is there tracker item for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I hope when it gets fixed it won't format my internal storage to jffs2.
Uhm, it would. #550
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #23
fanoush
fanoush began at the beginning.

Device: V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Uhm, it would. #550
Thanks for creating it. Could it be a blocker for #421 and have same milestone? I guess the whole point of live version is to not to touch existing system so this is not a nice to have, this is a must.

I wonder whether the original firmware will work correctly with internal memory being reformatted to jff2. If it doesn't mind and still boot it may be not so critical but still it is a very unwelcome feature for live version.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Given nobody has the determination to investigate problem with live version, I've moved both bugs to 0.3, disabled the generation of live version and removed the corresponding section from Installation Guide.

No idea about original firmware: it may depend on firmware, and even if firmware is able to mount filesystem, it will lose USB mass storage ability for sure (jffs2 exposed as a block device over USB won't work).
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #25
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I am quite distressed over this revelation -- and thankful that Fanoush has had the foresight to spot and raise the issue. (Welcome to this forum, Fanoush. Nice to have you with us, and contributing your expertise here as well.) I had intended to retain my BeBook Mobipocket DRM-compatible firmware in place, and use the live version of OI on my SD card for dealing with EPUB titles. Now, I'll have to rethink my use at all of OI. Quite a dilemma for me.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It would probably have to be done outside the OpenInkPot project, but there might be a way to "backup" apps like the MOBI Reader (or mobile Adobe Digital Editions) from the standard firmware and "restore" them under OpenInkPot.

My guess is that this would be easier for ADE than for MOBI, but I have not looked at either one. Since I am of the opinion that stripping DRM for personal use is legal in the US (where I live) the primary reason for doing this for me personally would be if the DRM-ridden viewer has more features than the OpenInkPot version. This is true for ePub (although I am not a fan of ADE), but less so for MOBI. It would probably be less effort to fix the MOBI deficiencies in FBReader (and version 0.11.0 apparently reads high compression MOBIs) than to get MobiPocket Java reader working. However the two tasks require some waht different skill sets.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It would probably have to be done outside the OpenInkPot project, but there might be a way to "backup" apps like the MOBI Reader (or mobile Adobe Digital Editions) from the standard firmware and "restore" them under OpenInkPot.

My guess is that this would be easier for ADE than for MOBI, but I have not looked at either one. Since I am of the opinion that stripping DRM for personal use is legal in the US (where I live) the primary reason for doing this for me personally would be if the DRM-ridden viewer has more features than the OpenInkPot version. This is true for ePub (although I am not a fan of ADE), but less so for MOBI. It would probably be less effort to fix the MOBI deficiencies in FBReader (and version 0.11.0 apparently reads high compression MOBIs) than to get MobiPocket Java reader working. However the two tasks require some waht different skill sets.
Another possible option for me (and interested others) would be to convert all my EPUB titles to Mobipocket format, but in the past I've encountered some inherent EPUB-formatting problems in doing this which I've not been able readily to overcome short of extracting and re-editing the titles in their HTML versions. Many people recommend just using FBReader as their over-all format, and then sticking with OI, but I haven't investigated this option sufficiently to go that route.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #28
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Another possible option for me (and interested others) would be to convert all my EPUB titles to Mobipocket format, but in the past I've encountered some inherent EPUB-formatting problems in doing this which I've not been able readily to overcome short of extracting and re-editing the titles in their HTML versions. Many people recommend just using FBReader as their over-all format, and then sticking with OI, but I haven't investigated this option sufficiently to go that route.
I only read fiction novels, so I convert all the books that I buy to FB2 immediately after I buy them. When I read on my V5 I read FB2 to avoid using the ADE reader. On my V3, I only read with OpenInkpot and FBReader. Naturally, FBReader handles FB2 pretty well, but since Sigl has come on the scene, I have been converting Book Designer's native HTML format to EPUB with Sigl. For my reading habits the EPUB produced by Sigl works OK on OpenInkpot too. That means that for every book I buy I end up with four copies of the book on my PC. That would be the original format, Book Designer HTML, FB2, and EPUB. Since I am retired I have plenty of time to do that with each book that I buy.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #29
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I only read fiction novels, so I convert all the books that I buy to FB2 immediately after I buy them. When I read on my V5 I read FB2 to avoid using the ADE reader. On my V3, I only read with OpenInkpot and FBReader. Naturally, FBReader handles FB2 pretty well, but since Sigl has come on the scene, I have been converting Book Designer's native HTML format to EPUB with Sigl. For my reading habits the EPUB produced by Sigl works OK on OpenInkpot too. That means that for every book I buy I end up with four copies of the book on my PC. That would be the original format, Book Designer HTML, FB2, and EPUB. Since I am retired I have plenty of time to do that with each book that I buy.
Even though I have some past minor experience in programming Linux, my initial glance or two at Sigl has scared me a bit. Just one more format to learn to edit. I myself am semi-retired and do have time to piddle around a bit, but I'm currently in the process of learning to scan in my own books from my library to create ebook titles that are not available yet (if ever) on the commercial ebook market. So I'm looking (as ever) for the simplest solution to providing comfortable reading on just ONE ebook reader (I am currently employing two, with BeBook firmware on one -- for Mobipocket titles -- and the other for OI with EPUB titles.)
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #30
smic
smic began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3ext
ZIP files in madshelf?

Hi, I have a question. In 0.1 version i can see zip files in madshelf, but when i am using snapshot20091001 zip files are invisible in madshelf. It is a way to see that files?