Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
It was a good try... Maybe we can find a program with a similar license?
My opinion as a **layman** is that they are still in violation of GPLv2.
But that one is much less clear and less restrictive.

I have not done an exhaustive audit for compliance between 5.2.0 and 5.3.0 but the next thing to look for, would be if there are changes made to the GPLv2 binaries by the update.
Since the source bundles are identical, if there are differences in the binaries, then not providing the sources that correspond to those changes is also a violation.

As a side note (in speculation) -
Avoiding the GPLv3 may be why Amazon is sticking with such old software versions.

Last edited by knc1; 11-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #77
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As a side note (in speculation) -
Avoiding the GPLv3 may be why Amazon is sticking with such old software versions.
I wouldn't call it speculation, I'm almost sure that's the case.

I doubt that they changed GPL binaries between 5.2.0 and 5.3.0. Even if binaries are not equal, it could be caused by different compiler flags - source code could be the same.

Unfortunately, only GPLv3 infringement would give us real power to demand jailbreaking guide. All that GPLv2 can give us are sources, without any ability to put them on the device.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #78
edo1
edo1 will become famous soon enoughedo1 will become famous soon enoughedo1 will become famous soon enoughedo1 will become famous soon enoughedo1 will become famous soon enoughedo1 will become famous soon enough

Device: pw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Is it the latest published version?
edo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo1 View Post
Is it the latest published version?
Only if a newer one for your model of Kindle is not listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200203720
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #80
nskmda
nskmda began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M90
I'm sorry I'm a bit confused with all this legal GPL/LGPL/OS licensing stuff.

So, the fact Amazon released that source code (I guess, not really full one for the Kindle firmware) doesn't allow for somebody to get it and re-compile/re-build with new TLS version, so that even 'original' 2.5.8 for KindleDX would work w/o any hacking?
nskmda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert