Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Nokia Lumia 520

Alot of us bought these phone the other day when Amazon has them on sale for $20 so this thread is to discuss this phone and uses for it. Most of us are Android users and new to Windows 8 operating systems and the limits of it.

Last edited by Blossom; 12-22-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it seems so far I have found

Slacker Radio
Spotify
Tune In
Pandora
Audible

No Amazon Music at all.

I need a replacement for ES File Explorer
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've found the best way to get apps to the phone, is from the phone. Trying to do it on the MS web site never worked for me.

I have something called File Explorer.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
How to get downloaded maps onto µSD card

Because of the 520's small internal storage, you'll want to direct your downloaded Nokia Here maps to be installed onto your µSD card. You do that by following these instructions, which involves installing an app.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Because of the 520's small internal storage, you'll want to direct your downloaded Nokia Here maps to be installed onto your µSD card. You do that by following these instructions, which involves installing an app.
Bookmarked!
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In terms of book-related apps, here's a listing of available vs missing apps.

Available Apps
  • Audible
  • Downpour
  • Kindle
  • Kobo
  • OverDrive
  • Zinio

Missing Apps
  • 3M Cloud
  • Axis 360
  • Acoustik
  • Blio
  • Calibre Companion
  • EbscoHost
  • Google Play Books
  • Hoopla
  • Nook
  • OneClickdigital
  • Oyster
  • Scribd
  • Tantor
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I think most of us plan to use it as listening device or GPS. I read it also has FM Radio on it like my SGPs do. So that is a huge plus!
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I really love Nokia's outlook and the Windows 8 style. The text messaging and the main drawer (if you call it that) looks so sleek, minimalistic and beautiful. The only reason I haven't purchased it for my niece is because it doesn't have Clash of the clans (which she really loves a lot). But I hope you enjoy your purchase Blossom!
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think most of us plan to use it as listening device or GPS.
I think you're right!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I plan to use my 520 primarily for music (FM radio, internet radio); with some audiobook and library use. I'd use it for other things, but the appstore is too weak to support those uses (OTR, remote control, Prime Music, Prime Video, etc).

Books
  • Audible
  • Downpour
  • Kindle
  • OverDrive

Music
  • iHeartRadio
  • Pandora
  • Slacker Radio
  • TuneIn Radio

Entertainment
  • Angry Birds
  • Mahjong
  • Netflix
  • etc
Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I read it also has FM Radio on it like my SGPs do. So that is a huge plus!
Quite a few, if not most, smartphones do. It's definitely a plus.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
I really love Nokia's outlook and the Windows 8 style. The text messaging and the main drawer (if you call it that) looks so sleek, minimalistic and beautiful. The only reason I haven't purchased it for my niece is because it doesn't have Clash of the clans (which she really loves a lot). But I hope you enjoy your purchase Blossom!
And I'm the opposite. I find the Windows look to be a horrid cluttered mess. The first thing I plan to do is to eliminate everything on the home screen and replace it with three folders -- books, music, entertainment. The rest of the screen will be black and empty. Of course, this all depends on how much I'll be allowed to customize it.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

It looks like there is a Evernote app too. I wonder if they have a Out Of Milk type app. It's a Shopping list that syncs with other devices.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
It looks like there is a Evernote app too. I wonder if they have a Out Of Milk type app. It's a Shopping list that syncs with other devices.
I remember there was one I loved during my short stint on a Windows phone...I believe it was well before Windows 8 but it was called "shopping list" if memory serves. It even allowed for adding to list by sms
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:13 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Nokia Lumia 520 Specs
  • Released --> Apr 2013
  • Op Sys --> Win Phn 8.1
  • CPU --> 1.0 GHz -- dual-core -- Snapdragon S4
  • GPU --> Adreno 305
  • RAM --> 512 MB
  • ROM --> 8 GB (~5 GB user avail)
  • mSD --> yes -- up to 64 GB
  • Display --> 4.0" IPS -- 800x480 -- 235 ppi
  • Cam Rear --> 5 MP AF -- 720p video -- no LED flash
  • Cam Front --> no front cam
  • Battery --> 1430 mAh -- removable
  • Navigation --> GPS -- aGPS -- WPS -- GLONASS -- no compass
  • FM Radio --> yes
  • misc --> Bluetooth 4.0 -- WiFi b/g/n -- mUSB 2.0 -- no NFC
  • Size --> 4.7" x 2.5" 0.39" -- 4.4 oz

Quote:
Limitation

Similar to other budget phones like the Lumia 620 and Lumia 720, it only has 512 MB of RAM, half the RAM of the first Windows Phone 8 devices, causing certain applications and features to not run. On 27 November 2013, the Nokia Lumia 525 was announced in Singapore. It increases the RAM to 1 GB to allow all Windows Phone features and applications to run.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-20-2016 at 09:26 PM.