Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Wow! I didn't realize the profit margin was that low.

So much for my retirement plans....

That puts them in a catch 22 doesn't it. Can't afford to spend time with clients because they lose money, but without the clients they have even less money to attract more clients. I suppose they could just raise their rates, or charge more for newb authors.... Ahh, making my brain hurt...

I saw that thread mrmikel...talk about whacked...I would hope the times when people expect others to do everything for them are few and far between, but I know that is just wishful thinking.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The e book market is fractured and likely to remain so. At one end is me, with my PRS-300 which lasts a long time, but doesn't display much and only in grayscale. At the other end are the tablets which don't last so long, but display in color at high resolution. Developing for both simultaneously easily is about impossible, since layout issues by themselves make it very difficult. The tablets can be laid out like regular books or magazines, but the lower end is entirely different. Columns, pull quotes, etc for my 5" reader make no sense.

It wouldn't be so hard if there were any real standardization in how real readers work. Each has several weird tweaks. So I sort of feel for them. But when you want to self publish, you are saying you can be author, proofreader, editor, marketer, typesetter and publisher all at once. If you are going to go that road you shouldn't gripe at the load.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert