Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
RTF2PDF?

I have a friend that's been making PDF documents via MS Office and they look great on my Sony PRS-505.

I tried doing the same thing she did and all I get is one big mess of a huge margin at the top, and the fonts not quite the right size.

I've seen other novels shared in pdf formatted that read just fine on my PRS-505 and I tried using Calibre to convert my RTF to LRF (with images embedded) but for some reason it strippped all the images out of the story. So I figured I'd try making a PDF using MS Word.

has anyone done this before with good results? and if so can you please share step by step instructions?

I have adobe acrobat pro 8 at home and Word 2000....

I'd appreciate any and all help.
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
A similar conversation has been happening at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=24625&page=2

The thread includes links to an instruction guide (slightly outdated) and some updated information about page size.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See PDF Situation with the current Ereaders for a link to the Sony PDF creation guide.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

thanks for the links!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi Amalthia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amothea View Post
Calibre to convert my RTF to LRF (with images embedded) but for some reason it strippped all the images out of the story.
The PRS-505 does not support images for their RTF documents.

If you want images save your RTF document as an HTML. Create a zip file with your HTML document including your images (note images must be in the zip file). Add the file to Calibe then convert it to an LRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amothea View Post
I have a friend that's been making PDF documents via MS Office and they look great on my Sony PRS-505.

has anyone done this before with good results?
Yes I often turn word documents to PDF. You have to change your page size, margins and font size for it too look good on the reader.
The instructions are listed below

For Word select menu option "File | Page Setup..."

Then use the settings below is the settings
page size 122mmx90mm
Font size: 9px
Font Family: Helvetica
Margins
top 3mm
left: 1mm
right: 1mm
bottom: 1mm

You can play with the font size and margins but the page size should be 122mmx90mm

I posted this findings back in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...pdf+sweet+spot
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Amalthia,

The PRS-505 does not support images for their RTF documents.

If you want images save your RTF document as an HTML. Create a zip file with your HTML document including your images (note images must be in the zip file). Add the file to Calibe then convert it to an LRF.

Hi thanks so much for your help! it never would have occurred to me to make a zip of my file with all the images in it. Didn't know the program would convert zip files.

It still kills me that the PRS-505 does not support images in RTF files. I really hope that's just a bug and they are working to fix it.

Also thanks for the PDF help! I'm still debating on which ones is better LRF or PDF...but right now it seems easier to make PDFs based on the directions.