Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #91
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The JetBook is excelling at battery life. I charged 5 days ago a now I think and I havent turned it off yet. have only used 1 bar out of 4. thats with i would probably say light reading and some "playing around" with the other features. I think thats the only thing it excels at. it doesnt "sleep" and you never have to shut it off really.

The only thing that Sipix excels at is its manufacturing process. and they even had trouble with that when devices started to lunch causing delays. Its a shame really as I had hi hopes for it. It does offer a nice segmented platform for small signage like shelf labels etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #92
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What's the Sipix' resolution?
Would it display most pdf's? If it's higher than 1024x720 there's a possibility it will be able to display most PDF files without zooming or reflow (perhaps just border removal).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #93
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
My pics were meant to be a little contribution to show how readibility can be a real hassle with standard lighting, when you have the wrong screen.

Asus dr900's display is 9" and 1024×768. I warn you to stay away from it, but since you love half-baked readers, you may like it.
I'll just need to say that in 12 months its price dropped from 300 euros to 200.

It could surprise you, but there's a big difference in displaying full page pdfs with 9,7" and 9". When you read pdf with complex layout, 9,7" size can reach the minimum acceptable font size for reading, while 9" stays too small.

Still, with some pdf you'll need a good reflow even on 9,7". For my needs, it's a core feature, it comes just after readibility. If you don't read pdf or cbz, you will hardly need a 9,7".

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #94
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I have no problem with the readability.
Every display reflects light; just turn the display a few degrees and you'll not see it anymore.

Most places have only a few light sources anyway; it'll be more of a pain to find the spot where the source reflects on the screen, than to find a place where it does not reflect.

There's nothing like a wrong screen!

I think like with the rest of your comments, you're completely off! (again)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #95
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Where did you read that I had troubles with light reflections on screen?

For the rest of my comment, I just added some infos about the dr900, since you asked about its screen. Since it's not sold in the USA I though I could be useful.

Seems like the words I use have a different meaning for you.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-29-2012 at 07:37 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
The tone of this thread has shown that there are obviously differing viewpoints, and no one is going to persuade the other that they are wrong. Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely and address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person; but if you are unable to remain polite, it is better to refrain from posting anything. In such a case it's best to simply acknowledge that views do differ, and move on.

Refer to MobileRead's Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required.

— WT Sharpe, on behalf of the MobileRead Moderating Team
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #97
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
My pics were meant to be a little contribution to show how readibility can be a real hassle with standard lighting, when you have the wrong screen.

Asus dr900's display is 9" and 1024×768. I warn you to stay away from it, but since you love half-baked readers, you may like it.
I'll just need to say that in 12 months its price dropped from 300 euros to 200.

It could surprise you, but there's a big difference in displaying full page pdfs with 9,7" and 9". When you read pdf with complex layout, 9,7" size can reach the minimum acceptable font size for reading, while 9" stays too small.

Still, with some pdf you'll need a good reflow even on 9,7". For my needs, it's a core feature, it comes just after readibility. If you don't read pdf or cbz, you will hardly need a 9,7".

I also found the screen of the Asus terrible.
I also agree that 9.7" is the minimal requirement for most PDFs, unless you want to read in landscape mode all the time. Something like 12" displays will have to be introduced - I hope shortly.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #98
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

By the way, who is fiercely defending their purchase? Maybe LuBiB and ProDigit, but I don't think the latter has actually got one yet...

Andrew
I was putting all the 9.7" readers in one basket ...
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #99
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
Want to know how a technology works is a "nerd" matter? There is no traslation in my language for this word but if be "nerd" means to deepen the things around you, then the traslation should be "intelligente" ("clever" in english)
If I buy a reader I want to read and I am not interested how the damn thing works.
If you are forced to find that out you are in trouble already: there goes the productivity.
Nerd in my vocabulary means that you spend limitless amounts of time to find out how a device works, forgetting about the original purpose completely.
So it seems to be more a compulsive behaviour.
As far as I can see there is no correlation to intelligence/cleverness - positive or negative ...

Last edited by Beryll Snyder; 03-01-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #100
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
We have some different way of views even on this topic. Probably because of different culture.
But I can assure you I am a consumer like you
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #101
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
We have some different way of views even on this topic. Probably because of different culture.
But I can assure you I am a consumer like you
To which "cultures" are you referring?

So far I can see three camps: (blind)enthusiasts, sceptics, users(?) ...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #102
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
You forgot the fourth: (blind)sceptics

I think I am an "optimistic" user I was optimistic with iRex too....
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #103
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I think I'm in another category altogether :-

Waiting Patiently in Hope

cheers

LeftyRight
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #104
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyRight View Post
I think I'm in another category altogether :-

Waiting Patiently in Hope

cheers

LeftyRight
Yeah, I should not have forgotten that one: I am part of the ever hopefuls too ...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #105
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I really wanted a large format ereader to save me carrying a tonne of books round. Colour was a bonus, as most of those books have some colour pics in them. The Jetbook Color covers what I need - I don't need bright colours, I just want to be able to see them in general.
The screen is greyer than my preferred device, but I have no problem reading it (yet). I was on a train with lowish lighting this evening, and read it for about an hour. No obvious eye strain, or difficulty reading.

Functionality - it doesn't seem great. The freehand notes *should* be available within the week, which covers it for me. For reading it seems to cover what I want.

Why a larger screen - I want lots of text on screen at once, so I can read more, quicker. Any large format ereader would have covered that. The colour is just a big bonus for me.

Wish? That they had used Android, and that I could root it to add my preferred apps
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote