Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
912 after new firmwre , device freezes alot

hi
912 was fine , but i updated to a new firmware from here it started to freeze alot,,either if i open "photo" or "application" from the main menu, then i have to turn it off. and start again.
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
hi
912 was fine , but i updated to a new firmware from here it started to freeze alot,,either if i open "photo" or "application" from the main menu, then i have to turn it off. and start again.
This also happens on my PocketBook 903, after an upgrade from version 2.1.0.
It is not exactly freezing as fsvum puts it: after touching the shortcut of either Photo or Application the application just keeps loading forever, while unable to do anything else.
Any suggestion to get rid of this irritating behaviour is very much welcome.

Last edited by jekvb; 02-05-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekvb View Post
This also happens on my PocketBook 903, after an upgrade from version 2.1.0.
It is not exactly freezing as fsvum puts it: after touching the shortcut of either Photo or Application the application just keeps loading forever, while unable to do anything else.
Any suggestion to get rid of this irritating behaviour is very much welcome.
exactly , then i have to turn the device off.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

Device: kobo aura h2o
Maybe you can backup your books and then -- format?
abijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
fsvum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abijah View Post
Maybe you can backup your books and then -- format?
i did a "Clean state" where it goes to default factory settings , did not help.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

I tested 'application' and 'photo' on my pro 902.
It seems that 'application' and 'photo' are not compatible with some apps.
(e.g. they are not compatible with each other.)
Opening one app, then you would not be able open the rest.

For my 902, I can open at least one of them, and restart will be necessary to open the other. If the touch-screen function is not compatible with the two apps, then...clicking any of them will freeze the device .

This problem should have something to do with the new multi-task feature. So simple modification might not work at all.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
tested on the 903: no problems with either photos or applications (I also use the multitasking a lot) - but I am on the fast driver 2.1.2 firmware, how about you?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
abijah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
tested on the 903: no problems with either photos or applications (I also use the multitasking a lot) - but I am on the fast driver 2.1.2 firmware, how about you?
I am also on the same firmware. But I can not open photo after opening application.

But it doesn't matter for me at all because I always open apps directly from main menu.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
jekvb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Mmmm... that is worth a try, since I am on the 'regular' FW.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
jekvb
Connoisseur

Further notes on trying to repare this 'hanging' issue

In the meantime I have been trying a few things to get rid of his problem

1) I followed Paola's suggestion to upgrade the FW from 2.1.2 to 2.1.2 with Fast Display Driver.
Which INDEED is much faster than the regular FW 2.1.2, but it did not resolve the issue of hanging (or loading the directory contents forever).

2) I formatted the internal memory and placed a brandnew system on it (which, by the way is also the FW 2.1.2 with Fast Display Driver).
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170994
Apart from being more confident now in handling the procedure of wiping the entire internal memory, I am sorry to announce that the old problem still exists.

Last edited by jekvb; 03-04-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Had this problem too after the upgrade to 2.1.2. First, you don't have to reset your device when the 'freeze' state occurs. Just press the back button long enough so that the taskmenu appears. Close down the photo/applications task (is not always present) and the startmenu task. Next, close the taskmenu by pressing the back button a long time. You will now enter some task (library, adobe reader etc) which is running along side. Press the home button again and your device is working again.

I found out what's causing this. It has to do with the layout setting of the photo/application file browser. If you set it to list or full list instead of large icon/thumbnail layout, the problem doesn't occur. If you then set it back to large icon/thumbnail layout it doesn't occur anymore until you shutdown/restart the device.

So the best solution is as follows: Set the app/photo file browser to list or full list layout before you shutdown the device. The first time you start the device the problem won't occur and if you want you can safely switch later to large icon/thumbnail layout without any freezes. Note, don't forget to switch to list or full list layout before shutting down or connecting the device to the PC for file transfer.

Last edited by dtanis; 03-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
dtanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
jekvb
Connoisseur

Wonderful, this works!
Thanks very much, DTanis.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
great tip for everybody - thanks and k
paola is offline   Reply With Quote