Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
michaelryannh
Connoisseur
michaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
Anyone plan on reading The Walking Dead Season 2 Premeire tonight?

So, The Walking Dead Season 2 premieres tonight, in about 20 minutes.

Just curious, does anyone else plan on watching this?

I, for one, am very amped to see the return of one of my favorite shows on prime-time television. (To be honest, I don't watch much television at all, but this is one show I keep up with.)

The survival aspect/community bonding of this show keeps me more entertained than any normal zombie movie or television show would.

Maybe, if this sparks enough interest in the mobileread community, we can have a discussion in this thread about the show/comic book.

Last edited by michaelryannh; 10-24-2011 at 10:40 AM.
michaelryannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelryannh View Post
EDIT: The Walking Dead premeire has already ended, so if a moderator would like to delete this thread for me. I would appreciate it. Seems interest in this series has not caught on to this forum.

================================================== ==
So, The Walking Dead Season 2 premieres tonight, in about 20 minutes.

Just curious, does anyone else plan on watching this?

I, for one, am very amped to see the return of one of my favorite shows on prime-time television. (To be honest, I don't watch much television at all, but this is one show I keep up with.)

The survival aspect/community bonding of this show keeps me more entertained than any normal zombie movie or television show would.

Maybe, if this sparks enough interest in the mobileread community, we can have a discussion in this thread about the show/comic book.
Yeah, I've been waiting on this...since the end of the first season. I absolutely adore the comic series, and thought that Darabont and Co. did an admirable job adapting it to the screen. It's been the big topic of discussion at work for a few weeks now (that and the upcoming release of Batman: Arkham City). I have it recorded, so I've yet to watch it. Waiting on the 4 year old to go to bed before getting to the head-shots.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Can't wait. I loved season 1 and have been anxiously waiting for this season.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
michaelryannh
Connoisseur
michaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Yeah, I've been waiting on this...since the end of the first season. I absolutely adore the comic series, and thought that Darabont and Co. did an admirable job adapting it to the screen. It's been the big topic of discussion at work for a few weeks now (that and the upcoming release of Batman: Arkham City). I have it recorded, so I've yet to watch it. Waiting on the 4 year old to go to bed before getting to the head-shots.
Spoiler alert:
Spoiler:
Head shots are involved. You won't be disappointed
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Yeah, I've been waiting on this...since the end of the first season. I absolutely adore the comic series, and thought that Darabont and Co. did an admirable job adapting it to the screen. .
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new season.
I think Darabont did a great job with this show but unfortunatly he's no longer with it and I hope they still keep up the quality theres a lot of conjecture and hearsay about exactly why he's no longer with the show but there seems to be a lot of creative differences going on in the background info below is copy and pasted from the AICN website

Apparently tonight’s 90-minute “Walking Dead” season premiere was originally two hourlong episodes, the first written by now-fired series mastermind Frank Darabont and the second by Robert Kirkman, who co-created the “Walking Dead” comic book series.

The credits on tonight’s 90-minute installment appear on screen thusly:

Written by Ardeth Bey
Written by Robert Kiirkman
Directed by Ernest Dickerson
Gwyneth Horder-Payton

"Ardeth Bey" is apparently Frank Darabont’s pseudonym, a fake name supplied presumably to distance himself from the finished product. Type Ardeth Bey into the search box at IMDb and watch whose page comes up.

I’m told the first 16 minutes or so of tonight’s episode were cannibalized from what was supposed to be the original Darabont-scripted second-season premiere. The balance of tonight’s 90 minutes comes from what was originally the subsequent season-two episode Kirkman scripted.

I’m told also it was the now-truncated original second-season premiere, presumably directed by Horder-Payton from Darabont’s teleplay, that precipitated Darabont’s ouster.

If the production of the season premiere seems awfully early for AMC to start thinking about dismissing the Oscar-nominated writer-director who gave the channel by far its biggest hit, it may help to remember a Deadline Hollywood story that appeared a few days before AMC aired the first-season finale.

The Deadline story suggested Darabont was considering going forward in season two without a regular writing staff; word was he might instead work on future scripts with freelancers only.

But as spring rolled around, word came that there would be a second-season “Dead” writing staff. Kirkman, credited with the teleplay of the first-season “Vatos” episode, would continue to script episodes. Greg Mazzara, showrunner on Showtime’s critically reviled TV version of “Crash,” was hired onto the “Dead” writing staff.

Around the time “Dead’s” second season went into production, and about a month before Darabont’s firing, Deadline interviewed Darabont. An exerpt:

DEADLINE: It made headlines last November when you dumped your entire writing staff after finishing up Season One.
DARABONT: Let me just begin by stating the obvious: that it was all pretty overblown. It left the impression that I walked in one day and murdered 12 people. Would you like to know how many writers we were talking about? Two. My thought had been that they’d under-delivered, and a change was necessary. I had to do too much of it by myself last year, and that was only six episodes. This season, it’s 13 and we’ve hired a fantastic writing staff. We hired Glen Mazzara as our Number Two in the room. We consider him our head writer and he’s just a fantastic asset. We’ve also got three other staff writers in Scott Gimple [“FlashForward,” “Chase”], Evan Reilly from Rescue Me, and Angela Kang [“Terriers”]. Plus Executive Producer Robert Kirkman, who wrote the original comic book, is also writing for us.

From the Aug. 10 story in The Hollywood Reporter that appeared shortly after Darabont’s departure:
The show went into production on its second season in June. Sources say an early episode came in with footage that was not usable. The director had shot a successful first-season episode and was a mutually agreed-upon choice. Darabont was editing the episode in an effort to fix it but by then, an insider believes, AMC was looking for a pretext [for firing Darabont].

That director is presumably Horder-Payton, who directed last year’s third “Walking Dead” episode, “Tell It To The Frogs,” which reunited Rick with his long-lost wife Lori. Horder-Payton has directed 32 hours of episodic television since 2007, including installments of “Battlestar Galactica,” “The Shield,” “Fringe,” “Criminal Minds,” and “Sons of Anarchy.”
Dickerson, who directed quite a number of episodes of “Dexter” and “Treme,” helmed “Dead’s” fifth 2010 episode, “Wildfire,” which brought Rick and Lori to the steps of the Center For Disease Control. According to IMDb, Dickerson not only co-directed tonight’s “Dead” episode, he directed next Sunday’s (“Bloodletting”) and the one after that (“Save The Last One”).

I’m told Darabont was still showrunner on “Walking Dead” during the shooting of "Save The Last One/".

Phil Abraham, who directed nine episodes of “Mad Men” but was not involved with “Walking Dead’s” first season, directed “Cherokee Rose,” which is now the fourth episode of “Dead’s” second season, according to IMDb.

Mazzara reportedly replaced Darabont as “Dead” showrunner on July 25.

Link to orignal article http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51622 note there is a small spoiler at the bottem of the page which is why I copied and pasted the text without it.
The Hollywood reporter story on the firing http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-fired-221449
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I know he's not involved anymore. But, regardless, I'll watch. Kirkman has been pretty hands-on, so I at least have a hope that it'll still be good. As of now, I'm about half-way into the first episode and it's been quite enjoyable so far.

As far as other zombie TV-series... I've seen Dead Set and FearNet's Lifeless... And so I'm excited to see another dedicated human-story driven by zombies.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i really liked it last season but so far i think the 2nd season is terrible. i realized that i really dont like any of the characters and the zombie behavior is all wrong. zombies should be everywhere, not just masses hovering around an objective they need to reach or where the story dictates. according to all z literature, zombies only mass if theres very recent activity, they lose interest and wander away soon after. nor do they move in one group like herd animals unless theyre chasing something, there will always be stragglers.

spoiler of 1st episode-

how does a mass of 200 zombies sneak up on you?

Last edited by xg4bx; 10-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
michaelryannh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i really liked it last season but so far i think the 2nd season is terrible. i realized that i really dont like any of the characters and the zombie behavior is all wrong. zombies should be everywhere, not just masses hovering around an objective they need to reach or where the story dictates. according to all z literature, zombies only mass if theres very recent activity, they lose interest and wander away soon after. nor do they move in one group like herd animals unless theyre chasing something, there will always be stragglers.

spoiler of 1st episode-

how does a mass of 200 zombies sneak up on you?

To be perfectly honest, I think this is because of the way Kirkman wrote his comic book.

He was always more focused on the survival aspect rather than the actual zombies themselves (which is why many people enjoy the series, and don't enjoy any other zombie comic books/movies/novels.). The only time zombies really appeared was when they needed to get to a specific area, basically Kirkman's idea was just when everything gets good, throw in a couple of zombies to destroy them all down again.

Some of his comic books didn't even have zombies in them to be honest.. I think at one point he went without putting a zombie in for about 4-5 issues in a row. It was only when his readers started sending letters in that he realized it was actually a zombie comic book.

As for the TV show:

I quite enjoyed the second episode.. Except for a few things that irked me.

Spoiler:
Maggie's hair is short already. WTF? Her short hair was a sign of her contemplating suicide after her father died.. She should not have short hair already.

And as for your general guidelines as to what zombies should and should not be, Robert Kirkman is well aware of this fact ^.^. As he's stated in many letters to the editor in the back of the comic book, this is his comic and he makes his own rules.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur

This episode was good. I liked the interaction between Shane and Rick.

Spoiler:
I actually enjoy that Shane hasn't been killed off, yet. I'm having fun watching him struggle with his feelings with Lori now that Rick is back.

I wonder if they're going to go the same route as the book in regards to the barn on the Greene farm. When Herschel talked about hoping for a cure and the barn was in the background...I got excited.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
michaelryannh
Connoisseur

I agree with your spoiler completely RainingLemur, I found myself thinking the exact same things, except for one thing.

Spoiler:
I believe Shane may be killed off by the zombies at the school they were stuck at, because they could not afford to depict a child killing off Shane on Prime-time television.. However, a kid being shot? That's cool, apparently.

I also got excited when I saw the barn. That would be an awesome mind blower for anyone who has not read the series.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur

If you get the chance, read "Rise of the Governor" if you haven't already. I enjoyed the crap out of it.

As far as your feeling as to things...

Spoiler:
I don't quite think that Shane is gonna be done at the school. The quick few frames that have been shown for previews kinda indicate that they'll make it back. If anyone is going to get turned into chow, I think it'd be Otis. Shane was walking along at a leisurely pace, and Otis was sucking wind trying to keep up.

I don't think that Shane will be around THAT much longer, but I think he'll at least make it back to the farm. If it's not Carl that kills Shane (which would be cool to see), I imagine it may be Lori in a scene much like the book but with Lori stumbling on the two men fighting and deciding to save her hubby.

But, we'll see. I just wonder if we're going to see Merle again at all. Michael Rooker is just awesome.