Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Great Article about New Display Technologies in IEEE Spectrum

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/h...f-the-future/0

From the intro:

"....That’s my vision of the future of periodical literature—or rather, the future of periodical delivery. It combines the orderly, portable, full-color format of today’s print publications with the flexibility, timeliness, and multimedia capabilities of online magazines. And the only component still lacking is a screen that’s easy on the eyes in all sorts of lighting conditions, displays full-motion and full-color images, is rollable and durable, and uses precious little power.

Like the jet pack, it always seems to be a decade away. So why should you believe me now when I tell you that the do-all e-reader will be available in a decade? Read on......."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm not sure I'd want my periodicals to be interactive and display full-motion. I wouldn't want annoying, blinking ads popping up over my newspaper article. And you just know that the advertisers will fully exploit this kind of tech.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree about the video etc. zipr. I would like an extremely readable color screen that is highly responsive though.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Present Imperfect

There is a companion article here:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/h...splay-industry

It's also published by the IEEE, and was issued before the mass rollout of the iPad. Yes, today's displays are imperfect, but with hundreds of thousands of iPads sold so far, and millions of e-ink readers, this is what we're stuck with. By improving font rendering and selection. the manufacturers can do a lot in the here and now. The way Apple anti-aliases small fonts leaves much to be desired, especially when the font is white over a dark background. I'm hoping the makers listen to consumers, and hopefully improve the existing lines of products through software updates. I am tired of them trying to sell us new toys every 6-12 months.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
kennyc

I like this:

"But the choice of LCD technology also means that, in spite of the vast library of e-books that will be available for the iPad, this device is no e-book reader. While I’m not an e-book convert myself, the folks I know who carry Kindles everywhere read them outdoors as much as in, often in sunlight, and that just won’t be possible with the iPad’s LCD screen."
Advert