Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Kindle DX - Absolutly stunning, but . . .

Why oh why don't they put an SD slot in the thing? I would really like to carry my MP3's around for listening while I read without having to carry 2 gizmos a reader and a player.

SD cards are so cheap and the circuits to use them have to be cheap as so many devices can use them.

I really wonder why.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Why oh why don't they put an SD slot in the thing? I would really like to carry my MP3's around for listening while I read without having to carry 2 gizmos a reader and a player.

SD cards are so cheap and the circuits to use them have to be cheap as so many devices can use them.

I really wonder why.
Easy question to answer. The team responsible felt their 4 gb internal memory was enough for you.

Never mind what we might want/need. What uses we may have. Thats why they took it off on the K2.

They decided they knew what was best.....stupidheads.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
To save cost. The MP3 player is an "experimental" feature. They threw it in because it wasn't too much trouble to do so. Kindles are also pretty huge for an MP3 player. I don't miss it.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Why bother with MP3's on the DX? I cant think of a cell phone that cannot play MP3's so use that I dont know many people that do not carry their cell phones all the time anyhow
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Well, I don't carry my cell phone much at all, I hate it. It's a plain vanilla Samsung clamshell phone. I want to carry my reader with me and use it all those times I'm waiting for something or just idle - AND listen to tunes. Seems a shame that so many ebook producers seem to get everything ALMOST right and leave off the most obvious stuff.

I've got 6000+ MP3's I spent MONTHS ripping and carry them on my MP3 player, it just seems silly to carry TWO gadgets around when one SHOULD have more than enough oomph to do BOTH functions.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
No SD = more control.

Amazon loves control.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm with rootman and desertgrandma on this one. Not supporting an SD card on the K2 and DX was a stupidhead decision.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
And now Amazon is dropping Sprint as its carrier. Although Amazon says it will continue to support Kindles that require a CDMA connection, the question is: for how long? At what point will Amazon say the technology is too old to continue supporting?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I took ages trying to find the sd slot on my kindle2 Int as I had read that kindles came with one. Shame, I agree, would have been good to have a music option while reading. And I dont really want two devices to manage while travelling...
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I took ages trying to find the sd slot on my kindle2 Int as I had read that kindles came with one. Shame, I agree, would have been good to have a music option while reading. And I dont really want two devices to manage while travelling...
Pushka, the Kindle1 came with the sd slot, as well as a user replaceable battery ($19.99)

Thats why I didn't upgrade.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
desertgrandma is a smart woman! I missed the Kindle 1 bus, but if you are lucky you can still get a refurbished Kindle 1 from the Amazon site.

I don't really have issues with the amount of storage, but I carry multiple devices usually including a laptop always close by and a 32gb iPhone which I can carry data on.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
desertgrandma is a smart woman! I missed the Kindle 1 bus, but if you are lucky you can still get a refurbished Kindle 1 from the Amazon site.

I don't really have issues with the amount of storage, but I carry multiple devices usually including a laptop always close by and a 32gb iPhone which I can carry data on.
The K1's are still available for $149, refurbished. I've bought two so far.......