Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Barnes & Noble now offers free in-store Wifi

B&N announced today that the in-store Wifi (supported by At&T) will no longer be restricted to AT&T customers. Think of what this means for buying ebooks.

Quite some time back a member here on MobileRead said that he would like to be able to browse the paper books on the shelf, and then buy the ebook while he's still in the store. Thanks to free Wifi, B&N just made his idea possible.

Whoever came up with that idea should stand up and take a bow.

press release
via Consumerist
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Quite some time back a member here on MobileRead said that he would like to be able to browse the paper books on the shelf, and then buy the ebook while he's still in the store. Thanks to free Wifi, B&N just made his idea possible.
Meh, the press release makes it pretty clear it's not connected to the e-book store, it's more a way to draw people into the retail stores. Unless B&N is going to copy the Amazon "store on the device" approach, buying an e-book in a store via WiFi is still going to be a PITA.

Besides, that's not a sustainable model for a retail store. The individual store needs to drive sales. Unless they have an e-book kiosk right there, a store that primarily exists for customers to browse before they buy a book online will be roadkill.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I agree. I still love going to the book store and nothing would make me happier than to be able to find a book, purchase it and transfer to my reader right there at the register.

My fear is that bookstores will go the way of the record stores and close (the small ones already have)...so I still want to do business there. Unfortunately, my collection of magazines and cookbooks has grown exponentially since I got my ebook reader

Last edited by Boston; 07-28-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
B&N gives good press release, but they're not worth the paper they're written on.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Meh, the press release makes it pretty clear it's not connected to the e-book store, it's more a way to draw people into the retail stores. Unless B&N is going to copy the Amazon "store on the device" approach, buying an e-book in a store via WiFi is still going to be a PITA.

Besides, that's not a sustainable model for a retail store. The individual store needs to drive sales. Unless they have an e-book kiosk right there, a store that primarily exists for customers to browse before they buy a book online will be roadkill.
There are apps for the iPhone that let you photograph a book's cover or scan its barcode and it will search the internet for the best prices. It wouldn't be hard for someone to develop a similar app that gives you the option of buying the book from an ebook store. In fact Amazon and B&N should really implement it into their iPhone ebook reader apps.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I work at a Barnes and Noble and I've been reading about this new ebook and wireless thing. Doesn't seem that great to me, to be honest. You can't use any discounts on the books (because they're already "discounted" according to Corporate), so they remain the same or more expensive than other bookstores. I guess this isn't THAT big of a deal, but if someone goes to the trouble of buying a BN Membership they should be able to use it on EVERYTHING, BN sells. Just my opinion.

Also, you can only use the ebooks on iPhones, PCs, or other cell phones. That's a pretty limited audience.

And as for their ebook program, it won't work for my PC. I download it and it disappears.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
It would be very nifty if they get wifi in the stores here in Australia, too!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Actually a friend of mine who works for B&N said they were doing it in the hope that people would buy ebooks while they were in the store (on mobile phones, etc.) She said they are going to keep it device-agnostic, and that would be their big selling point.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote