Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #46
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Folks, I already have the bad guys lined up, and the special twist at the end plotted. Of course it's going to take quite a few posts to get there, as I like the pacing I'm writing at. I've got the next episode half-written, so it'll be up tommorrow. But if other things in life intrude, I may have to skip some days. Y'all understand.

And yes when it gets to the end, I'll post the entire story (with formatting) in to other section of MR e-books. (I'll do it as HTML, and anybody who wants to can convert it to whatever.)

All the books mentioned are real, just the characters from MR are fictional (I'm playing with the avatars and such. If anybody's offended PM me and I'll write you out. And Red is - - - (R)alph sir (ED)ward.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Folks, I already have the bad guys lined up, and the special twist at the end plotted. Of course it's going to take quite a few posts to get there, as I like the pacing I'm writing at. I've got the next episode half-written, so it'll be up tommorrow. But if other things in life intrude, I may have to skip some days. Y'all understand.
this pacing seems good to me too ! happy to hear the rest is all there just waiting to be written down. i'll try to control my impatience.

Quote:
And yes when it gets to the end, I'll post the entire story (with formatting) in to other section of MR e-books. (I'll do it as HTML, and anybody who wants to can convert it to whatever.)
yay !
Quote:
All the books mentioned are real, just the characters from MR are fictional (I'm playing with the avatars and such. If anybody's offended PM me and I'll write you out. And Red is - - - (R)alph sir (ED)ward.)
i suspect anybody who gets written into this story will consider it an honour. i know hugo and lefty would.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #48
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Squeeeeeal!! I'd LOVE to go to Europe!!

Is this undercover work?
I don't ask my ops how they get their job done. Just results.

- Red
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #49
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
"Lefty"

"Hugo! Where have you been?"

"Right here, watching you count shums for the last hour. How far did you get this time?"

"One. Two. Four. Yellow."

"Better! I have bad news. RSE has already picked all the bad guys."

"Oh. I was really hoping to see that doggy again. I liked his googles."

"Yeah. I liked his scarf. In fact I think I still have her number."

"So you figured out how to tell boy scarves from girl scarves?"

"Ummm... err. How many shums are out there now?"

"One... Blue..."
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #50
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Hmmm, I think Red should be relieved that cats can't be trained and it's the wrong genre for sexual harassment suits......

Right now Red just trying not to be relieved on....

Last edited by Greg Anos; 12-04-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #51
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
"Lefty"

"Hugo! Where have you been?"

"Right here, watching you count shums for the last hour. How far did you get this time?"

"One. Two. Four. Yellow."

"Better! I have bad news. RSE has already picked all the bad guys."

"Oh. I was really hoping to see that doggy again. I liked his googles."

"Yeah. I liked his scarf. In fact I think I still have her number."

"So you figured out how to tell boy scarves from girl scarves?"

"Ummm... err. How many shums are out there now?"

"One... Blue..."
heeheehee !! :bouncingupanddown clappinghandswithglee:
Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #52
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Oh oh oh oh! I can't WAIT to see where this one is going! Hurry on with the writing already! Sheesh!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #53
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

I then called VR. His human passed him the phone.
"I need some expense money, VR."
"I'm not paying for your beer tab, Redneck."
"I need some research done in Pinwheel."
"You'll blend in like a flamethrower at the Winter Carnival."
"I want to send in a top op who'll blend in smoother that a deer with it's tail down. But that costs money, and you said I had a liberal expense account. And I don't expect her to stay at the Silverfish Inn. So wire my account 10K so I can get the ball rollin'."
"10K!!!"
"The longer you sit there scratching yourself, the longer It'll be before you get the Diamondaceaous Doody back."
A deep growl came over the phone, followed by, "One of these days, I'm going to catch you without your .22."
"I love you, too. Now send the money!" I hung up the phone, and flipped on the intercom.
"Mindy, I need you to get tickets for BadGoodDeb out of Chi-town to Pinwheel on the earliest flight, and a reservation to a nice Hotel there. And a rent car. Then call BadGoodDeb and pass the info on to her."
"Why don't I get the fancy trips?"
"Because you're too nice to go dive-crawling, arm-twisting, and knifing the occasional punk."
"Well...."
"Besides, who would keep Mrs. Slocum company?"
On that note. I flipped off the intercom and settled into some serious thinking. What do you do with something you can't sell? Well, you could look at it. There are some art nuts who'd steal The Mona Lisa to hang on the wall if they thought they could get away with it. The problem with Mona and the Coprolite was thay they were too famous and too unique. The heat was just too hot for too long for even most ardent art nuts to hijack 'em. Chop it up and sell the pieces? They did that with the McFarlin Diamond (54 carats, canary yellow, for you Bond types), but there was a market for canary yellow small diamonds. The only place that's seen gold matrix coprolite is the Pinwheel Palace and picture books. So if you cut it up and tried to sell it, people would start askin' where it came from. And one peep outta the Palace and everybody get caught for ownin' stolen property. Ransom? No ransom request, at least not yet. And a ransom request wouldn't wait this long. They'd want to get the ball rollin'. Hmmm....Quite a two-pipe problem, Sherlock. Or in my case, a two Pearl problem.
I flipped the intercom on again.
"Mindy, I'm goin' down to Bonzo's Backfire for couple of Pearls. I need to mull this case."
"Mull? You just want to guzzle expense-account beer!"
"That too. Shut up the shop after you get BadGoodDeb's trip set up."
I wandered down to the Backfire and slid into a booth. It was a high class place, no chicken wire anywhere. The jukebox was playing Robert Earl Kean's Merry Christmas from the Family.
"A Pearl." I told the barmaid.
After I got my beer, I settled down to think some more. So... No ransom. No chop and sell. If it was a big time collector, the big boys would have to take over. That class of gazillionare wouldn't let me dig flower beds for 'em, much less case their joints for stolen art work. I'd just have to pass on my pointers. What else was left. There wasn't even any fake matrix on the market, 'cause all the Rich Old Women knew that there was no Real McCoy on the market, and they wouldn't be caught dead wearing an obvious fake, that everybody knew had to be a fake. An idea was nibbling inside my head, but I couldn't quite make it pop out. I ordered another Pearl.

Something about fakes...How do you pass a fake as a Real McCoy? Well, it's gotta look like a Real McCoy, and you have to have a good story to explain why the fake's a Real McCoy. So, would it help if you had the Real McCoy to work with for making the fake? It sure would! And when you got done, you just let the Real McCoy quietly be found, and everybody's happy. You wait a year or two, and "find" your fake, palm it off as a new Real McCoy, and milk gazillions off of Rich Old Ladies, who would never buy a fake. Feed some more fakes in the market slowly, so's not to cheapen the price, and you've built a high price fake market, and nobody's in a position to figger out the swindle...You'd need an inside man for the heist, and a fall guy for the recovery, a crooked fake opal expert, and enough money to bankroll the deal, 'cause all this wouldn't come cheap. Other than Pinwheel, where in the world would you find the combo? You need gold mines, Opal mines, a bent corporation, and lots of expertise on makin' fake Opals. Some place that it would seem natural to find some more Golden Coprolite.
There was only one place in the world... Oz. Was this gonna make VR happy. Heh, heh, a liberal expense account indeed...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

"Silverfish Inn" ! (i thought that was in germany ?) shoutout...

brilliant episode, Sir Sir.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #55
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm sure there's a Silverfish Inn II and III and IV ..... someplace else!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #56
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There's a Silverfish Inn Too right next to Rick's Cafe Americain Panama City.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #57
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, now I'm ready for more. Go!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel

so the coprolite thief is in oz. wait, don't tell me : the bad guys (already signed on) are going to be those flying interfenestral monkeys that scare the bejeezus out of pshrynk.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #59
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so the coprolite thief is in oz. wait, don't tell me : the bad guys (already signed on) are going to be those flying interfenestral monkeys that scare the bejeezus out of pshrynk.
Hey, it's my job to look ahead...Besides, do you think Red would turn down a chance to go spine-bashing in the warmth at Bondi and chatting up the Sheilas during the winter? On an expense account??
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #60
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Fans, I hate to disappoint, but I've got to make 2 cheesecakes and go to a party tommorrow. I don't see how I can get back to the tale until Sunday at the earliest. If I get some time, I'll slip it in as fast as I get it done....

Tags
coprolite, ongoing saga, pinwheel, saga, unutterable silliness