Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
plus the DNA storage is on its way think of all the possiblities.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Well its been a long time coming. With the advent of the computer age, than the internet and than smartphones.(Look how fast the cell phone went from just a phone with an alarm clock and calculator to an almost full operating computer.)
We have seen much change in the way we do things in the last 25-30 years when it concerns commmunication and entertainment. The last 5 years has seen huge changes. The smartphone and tablets/ereaders are the culprits of course. I havent been to my old college in a year or so especially during fall. I imagine at least 50% of students have tablets or ereaders for many of their books. Im sure many still carry laptops around as well.

I think though that we will be hitting a technology ceiling soon. If not already. Yeah form factor will change on the devices, software etc. but I cant see anything that will trump the current way we do things when it concerns reading and computing and communication.
Hmmm... You may be right, but I have heard this so many times in the last 40 years (bought my first computer in the 70's) .

Consumer money is fueling technology like never before. Computing devices can now be regarded as useful tools for work or school, audio/visual entertainment devices, comunication devices, social interaction devices and amusement/gaming devices.

Lots of room for improvement in form factor as you noted. Lots of room for improvement in home networking or personal cloud storage. Too many areas to mention them all.

I think we will see massive improvements in the next few years because people are willing to buy them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't worry about it. Your idiom is fine. I'm just a smart ass on the prowl for any opening I can take advantage of; like this one.
I do that all of the time and my poor gf never knows if it's her English [non-native speaker] or me being stupid. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, but tablets aren't replacing computers.
Depends what you use it for. For many a tablet is all they really need. My Girlfriend who isnt really computer savvy gave up her laptop in favor of a tablet. I myself just bought another desktop. Its way more powerful than a tablet or laptop and will last 4 times as long with upgrades. Just depends what you use it for. Most people I am sure just surf the web and watch videos. A tablet is really all they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
plus the DNA storage is on its way think of all the possiblities.
I dont know about you but I for one think that is where I will say enough is enough. The possibilites do not seem appealing at all.

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
My concern was actually not so much with the tome, as my own cavalier attitude towards the publisher.
(snip)
"ehh, why should I be bothered, it's the publisher's problem, not mine".
You are not alone.
And it's not unusual; you have simply internalized the new paradigm.
(And yes; it *is* the publisher's problem--ebook reader owners have lower tolerance for pbooks, especially big and heavy pbooks.)
Think back about other forms of content. Your attitudes have changed there, too, right?

In my case, for example, I rarely watch live TV; there is no appointment TV for me. I DVR everything and watch it later. Maybe the next day, maybe the next month when I can run through four episodes back-to-back-to-back...
Commercial free.

And lately, some shows I don't even DVR; I catch them on HULU or NETFLIX.
The whole angst about missing the show is gone. There are simply too many ways to catch the good stuff and *miss* the bad stuff.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
In Sweden we don't have Hulu or Netflix, so I guess it takes us longer to internalize the paradigm shift of content consumption. I guess it sort of hit me in that book store that I was no longer awaiting the future, I had come to the last step; Acceptance.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
In Sweden we don't have Hulu or Netflix, so I guess it takes us longer to internalize the paradigm shift of content consumption. I guess it sort of hit me in that book store that I was no longer awaiting the future, I had come to the last step; Acceptance.
You will be assimilated.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We always are.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In Sweden we don't have Hulu or Netflix,
LOVEFILM is supposed to be available in your area and Netflix is headed your way. Or so reports say...
http://www.moviescopemag.com/feature...y-scandinavia/

Anyway, the final stage of technology acceptance is when it becomes the *expected* norm and it is the alternatives that have to justify themselves.
eBooks aren't there for the masses but for heavy ebook users it already is the default. We're just a wee bit ahead of our time.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Yes, Lovefilm is available. Unfortunately their films are with sub-titles. I find that annoying. And yes, Hulu is on its way, but it might take a while.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #26
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
We always are.
Where's Gustavus Adolphus when you need him?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Where's Gustavus Adolphus when you need him?
Leading a Cavalry charge as Captain GARS in the 163x series of books.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

He's been dead for some 350 years or so. Besides, he is over rated. He might have been one of the first to hire a spin doctor.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, Lovefilm is available. Unfortunately their films are with sub-titles. I find that annoying. And yes, Hulu is on its way, but it might take a while.
Netflix subtitles are switchable. (At least on this side of the pond.) They come in handy when watching british shows.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Well, Netflix does nothing for me when it isn't available.